PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Connecticut player dies at game

District303aPastPlayer
01-21-2005, 10:38 AM
WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) -- Eastern Connecticut guard Antwoine Key died Thursday night after collapsing during the opening minutes of a game at Worcester State.

Police and emergency personnel used defibrillators to try and revive Key, 22. He was rushed to St. Vincent's Hospital in Worcester where he was pronounced dead, Eastern officials said.

The administrative coordinator at the hospital, who did not give her name, said Key went into cardiac arrest. An autopsy is scheduled, she said.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss," Eastern Connecticut President David G. Carter said in a statement. "Antwoine loved basketball. He was a shining example of what is good and noble about student athletes."

Key was running down the court when he suddenly collapsed, Worcester State spokeswoman Kaine Thompson said.

"We're all very distraught at this tragedy," Thompson said.

Key, a 6-foot-4 senior, transferred from Southern Connecticut in the fall of 2003. He started all 14 games this season and was averaging 7.6 points and 2.8 rebounds.

The game was suspended.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

AP Panther Fan
01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
This is horrible. With all of the modern medical technology out there, it is a shame that IF he had an existing heart problem it wasn't detected. You would think that athletes at this level would go through extensive testing.:confused:

rhs78
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
my prayers go out to his family and school.

AggieJohn
01-21-2005, 10:52 AM
that battery commercial is going through my head right now, i don't know if it's duracell or energizer