PDA

View Full Version : sad, sad day in Corpus Christi for many coastal bend residents

pirate44
01-20-2005, 08:33 AM
i cant belive what i read. the Luby's in the Padre Staples Mall has closed for good. evidently the 30 year lease is up and Luby's execs. decided to close the place. this is a very memorable place for me as my family would go there every sunday for lunch when i was young :) . It was a sight with my parents with 4 sons within 5 years age difference standing in line. i remember the sign that used to be on the wall that said "Form two lines" or the one that said "Eye's Right" :) . then once we got to where the food was served, the sweet lady whom i remember as saying "And for you, what you like?" Those employees have comented how they remember when we were young :) . And now myself and my brothers bring our wives and children to eat there. I remember my dad sending me or my brothers with our ice tea glasses to go hunt down the iced tea lady :) .I remember noontime Sundays before Moore Plaza and "resteraunt row" were around, the lines to the cafeteria would strecth outside in the mall wrapping around the corner guided by red velvet rope lines. As of late, even during the busiest times, there was hardly a line.
there are 3 other locations in Corpus, but i have no great childhood memories of them with 2 of them being built in the last 10 years.
My wife has similar memories of the place. It was a special landmark to me but alas, after 35 years, no more.:(

District303aPastPlayer
01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
'and for you whatcha like'

man, that one line lives in my house to this day...my mom will say it... i can remember takin my little brother and sister to eat there on sundays when we were shopping... i'd always get the chocolate ice box pie with that white cream in the middle... man that was so good... we got the recipe book a while back... so i have been tryin to find it since i saw the doors closed... man. we used to go in there all the time... lil sis would get the strawberry shortcake, id get the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and mac n cheese ..... :(

pirate44
01-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
'and for you whatcha like'

man, that one line lives in my house to this day...my mom will say it... i can remember takin my little brother and sister to eat there on sundays when we were shopping... i'd always get the chocolate ice box pie with that white cream in the middle... man that was so good... we got the recipe book a while back... so i have been tryin to find it since i saw the doors closed... man. we used to go in there all the time... lil sis would get the strawberry shortcake, id get the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and mac n cheese ..... :(
strawberry shortcake was a must. we'd get it maily because it was the biggest dessert there.:D back in the old days, food was great, service was great (a big difference from the indifference you find today). i need to find out when the candlelight vigil is being held and mark my calendar

AP Panther Fan
01-20-2005, 09:32 AM
The macaroni and cheese was always my favorite!:D

I have most of my memories from the store on Alameda (the first in Corpus, I believe) but then again....I am older than both of you!:mad:

Phil C
01-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Sad day indeed. Just like when they closed Panchos on Ayers Street. :(

pirate44
01-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sad day indeed. Just like when they closed Panchos on Ayers Street. :(
:eek: :mad: you mean they closed "Panchos"!!??
not many memories there, but i do remember the commercials where the little girls says "Sopapillaaaaas!!"

District303aPastPlayer
01-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
:eek: :mad: you mean they closed "Panchos"!!??
not many memories there, but i do remember the commercials where the little girls says "Sopapillaaaaas!!"

i thought it was open still...

pirate44
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i thought it was open still...
me too. but i wouldnt put it in the same class as "Luby's". maybe the closing of "Burger Chef" or Shep's Chicken Shack", but not Luby's

Phil C
01-20-2005, 10:19 AM
me too. but i wouldnt put it in the same class as "Luby's". maybe the closing of "Burger Chef" or Shep's Chicken Shack", but not Luby's

Those were good eating places too. I remember I could go to the Burger Chef and get a fish sandwich and some fries and a drink for 50 cents and get about five cents in change for an ice cream cone. :(

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-20-2005, 10:46 AM
One always hates to see a landmark place close.

superslyguy06
01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
its funny, cuz i lived in corpus for a year when i was 7 and that luby's is one of the only things i remember about the place. :weeping:

setex
01-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I remember my dad sending me or my brothers with our ice tea glasses to go hunt down the iced tea lady :)

The tea lady at our Luby's was the most famous person in town.
Everyone in town would mimic in a kind way her famous words

"Teeeeeeeeea, sweeeeet or unsweeeeeeet"

http://www.sysco.com/services/features/images/food_safety/technology.jpg

pirate44
01-20-2005, 11:14 AM
another great memory, my brothers and i would argue over who gets to pick the change out of the dispenser thing-a-ma-jig. and of course, the toothpick dispenser. back then i always wondered why dad chewed on a sharp stick after eating, but i wanted to be like dad, so i did it too.:)