PDA

View Full Version : First 12 Super Bowls

Phil C
01-26-2004, 11:32 AM
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times had an interesting article on the first 12 super bowls and ranked them. You can get it at www.caller.com (http://www.caller.com) click on sports and go to the article. It was interesting and must be remembered that is the writer's opinion and he is entitled to it. It brought back memories andsome of us can share our thoughts.
Pick No. 1 Super Bowl X Steelers 21 Cowboys 17. A close game that the refs called very loosely. Pittsburgh was the most penalized team in the NFL but I think in this game the refs only called two penalties on them which seems fishy that there shouldn't have been much more considering the records. Of note Jack Lambert should have not only been called for a personal foul but should have been ejected for the remainder of the game for throwing Cliff Harris to the ground even though he did it because supposedly Harris taunted them for a missed field goal but that wasn't in the rules at the time but excessive violence was.
Pick No. 4 was Super Bowl V where Colts beat Cowboys 16 to 13. A close game with lots of turnovers probably due to hard hitting. Naturally it was decided by a final turnover when Craig Morton got interecepted in the last few seconds to give the Colts a field goal.
Pick No. 11 Cowboys 27 Broncos 10. The Cowboys stopped the Broncos run completely and they had to pass and Dallas put the rush on them. The writer says that Harvey Martin and Randy White didn't get credit on quarterback hurries or pressures but I disagree here since after all they were Co MVPs - the only time that has ever happened. I think that the writer meant Too Tall Jones because he was one that put consistent pressure on the QB and caused hurried passes even though he didn't get the sacks. It would have been justified if there had been a Tri-MVP award with Jones included.

Phil C
01-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Also in the Cowboys vs Denver game one of the defensive halfbacks named Foley had said Golden Richards of the Cowboys was just a once in a while receiver. What a time for it though because in the 4th quarter with Dallas leading 20 to 10 he caught td pass to cinch the game for the Cowboys.

JasperDog94
01-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Funny how the only two games in playoff history, where one team played the "perfect game" as far as penalties are concerned, came against the Cowboys. Oh well. In the words of Homer Simpson, "Ehhh, what are you gonna do?"

Phil C
01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
In the Denver game Golden Richards caught the pass on a trick play because the pass was either thrown by Preston Pearson or Robert Newhouse (I think). And yep the defensive back he caught it on was Foley. :)
Another interesting point was the Jets game where they beat the Colts 16 to 7 was that at that time rookies were not payed in super bowls as much as the veterans since they felt that they didn't get much playing time. Ironically in that game the Colt that played the best defense for his team was a rookie named Bubba Smith who was robbed by being paid less than the veterans event though he played the best. Fortunately this procedure was rightfully stopped.