PDA

View Full Version : I say, Pay him!

pirate44
01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
First off, let me say that i doubt Houston is going anywhere this year. I love to see Rocket pitch (the feeling i got watching Nolan Ryan pitch). it's 1 year, so pay the guy.

the story:
The Sporting News has learned that Roger Clemens has requested a record $22 million in salary arbitration from the Astros.
The Astros offered $13.5 million in return, leaving an enormous $8.5 million spread. So either way if the team, which has already lost free agents Carlos Beltran, Jeff Kent and Wade Miller, retains Clemens, it's going to cost them dearly.

The two sides could settle somewhere in between, but the point is that Clemens, who signed a one-year deal for $4.75 million last off-season, wants to be paid this time around even if his requests hamper Houston's abilities to make other moves and surround him with a contending-caliber team.

If Clemens won his case and got his $22 million, his salary likely would be more than half of the Devil Rays' entire payroll for 2005.

Last year's $4.75 deal proved to be quite the bargain, as Clemens won his seventh Cy Young award after going 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
well they kinda owe it to him after the run they had last year, well that combined w/ how much he got paid. although i still dont think atheletes should get that much money. but its not mine nor will it ever be, so im saying pay him.

pirate44
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
well they kinda owe it to him after the run they had last year, well that combined w/ how much he got paid. although i still dont think atheletes should get that much money. but its not mine nor will it ever be, so im saying pay him.
yup, im sure he had something to do with ticket sales

Vrabird
01-18-2005, 06:23 PM
I think if you look back at the attendance numbers for each of Clemens' starts, you might see a reason for owing him some extra money in return. Not to mention his Hall of Fame credentials or his Cy Young awards. Come on Houston the MAN deserves it!! You can't let all the players leave. Give me and the rest of the fans a reason to watch the team perform this year.

Astrosdawg07
01-18-2005, 06:32 PM
They need to worry about Berkman 1st.

HighSchool Fan
01-18-2005, 06:34 PM
They do not owe him anything. He performed a service at a price that he agreed upon. They didn't force him to take that contract. To many athletes thing that they are owed something more for a service that they agreed to do at a pre-arranged price.

Astrosdawg07
01-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
They do not owe him anything. He performed a service at a price that he agreed upon. They didn't force him to take that contract. To many athletes thing that they are owed something more for a service that they agreed to do at a pre-arranged price.

Good point. Maybe me and you outta replace Purp.

AggieJohn
01-18-2005, 06:44 PM
roger sells tickets.....pay him

Astrosdawg07
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
roger sells tickets.....pay him

I don't care who does or who doesn't sell tickets. I want a contender on the field. And in my opinion you can wash '05 down the drain. So why hurt your future by wasting the little money Drayton will spend on a player for 1 year who sells tickets. :confused:

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I don't care who does or who doesn't sell tickets. I want a contender on the field. And in my opinion you can wash '05 down the drain. So why hurt your future by wasting the little money Drayton will spend on a player for 1 year who sells tickets. :confused: because they dont play baseball to play baseball, they play to make money, i thought you knew that...:eek:

TheDOCTORdre
01-18-2005, 08:13 PM
People, people Clemens doesnt really want 22 millions, he really wants in the ballpark of 17-18 million, so by asking for 22, he is really just giving a figure that would lead to a compromise of the money he really wants

Astrosdawg07
01-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
People, people Clemens doesnt really want 22 millions, he really wants in the ballpark of 17-18 million, so by asking for 22, he is really just giving a figure that would lead to a compromise of the money he really wants

Now that is possible however, I just wonder if this isn't his way of making himself retire.

pirate44
01-18-2005, 10:07 PM
this guy is one of the best right handers of all time. coming off a cy young season, if thats not a first step to putting a contender on the field, i dont know what is.

Astrosdawg07
01-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
this guy is one of the best right handers of all time. coming off a cy young season, if thats not a first step to putting a contender on the field, i dont know what is.

He has to have a supporting cast which we don't. We need a CF, 3rd baseman, bullpen depth, and another SP. Why spend all that money on 1 player. You could fill some of those holes with young talent with the money spent on Roja. '05 will be a re-building year, accept it. :weeping: :foul:

TheDOCTORdre
01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
'05 will be a re-building year, accept it. :weeping: :foul:
A rebuilding year would mean that they would be rebuilding to compete in the near future, thats not happening

Leopards,class of 75
01-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I think everyone here has good opinions about this subject. As a business, should the Astros put tons of money in one player? I agree that Rodger is one of the greatest all time right handers. But do you put all your eggs in one basket, or do you spread the dollars around and get several players to fill the empty spots. I hope the Astros can sign him and still be able to afford to fill the empty spots with better than average players. I have been an Astro fan since the early 70's and I really enjoyed last years season to the max! I hate for them to have to start completly over and rebuild, but I.M.O. this is where the Astros are headed for the 2005 season.

JasperDog94
01-18-2005, 11:42 PM
I would rather them make this deal happen than see them do another deal like Hidalgos. At least Roger went out and earned his paycheck...considering how overpriced baseball is.

Leopards,class of 75
01-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I would rather them make this deal happen than see them do another deal like Hidalgos. At least Roger went out and earned his paycheck...considering how overpriced baseball is. Good point!

big daddy russ
01-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Get Berkman signed then get Rocket on board.

Here's my opinion... if you can field an infield full of solid gloves and have three or four (Bagwell, Biggio, Ensberg and Berkman) players who can hit the ball you're not in a rebuilding year. Look at the rotation when it's healthy: Rocket, Oswalt and a healthy Petitte in front of Brandon Backe. I, personally, think that Tim Redding has the stuff to be the number three guy if he can just learn how to put together a solid game from start to finish. Right now he's their number five guy. If the setup men can pull it together, they have a staff that can compete with anyone. It's the arms and the leather, not the wood, that wins those championships.

Speaking of leather, the Astros are looking at Mike Cameron right now. Cameron's not the ultimate five-tool offensive weapon that Beltran was, but nonetheless the boy can make contact, get on base and has speed when he gets there. Oh, and most importantly there's no dropoff whatsoever on the defensive side of things. This would be a great addition to the Astros, IMO. Cameron's a great leadoff hitter and if they picked up Mikey then Biggio could slide into his more natural number two spot. Even if they don't get Cameron, Jason Lane will finally get a chance to play. He's not a Carlos Beltran but he's also not a Minnie Mendoza.

Bottom line: They're in a tough division, but St. Louis had a dream year and Chicago had a down year. The Cards' offense won't be able to carry them again this year and they'll falter because of their lack of pitching. The Cubs will win the Central. If the Astros do pick up Clemens, regardless of who on their team can or can't swing a bat, they'll beat out Carlos Beltran's Mets (proving you can't buy a championship) along with the Phillies, Padres, Cards and Giants to snag the NL Wild card and wind up facing the Cubs in the NLCS.

JasperDog94
01-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
proving you can't buy a championship Tell that to the Yankees.

pirate44
01-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Tell that to the Yankees.
or the Florida Marlins version 1.0 (1997)

AggieJohn
01-19-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't care who does or who doesn't sell tickets. I want a contender on the field. And in my opinion you can wash '05 down the drain. So why hurt your future by wasting the little money Drayton will spend on a player for 1 year who sells tickets. :confused:

because he sells tickets...which puts more people in the seats, which brings in more revenue, which has people buy more merchandise, which brings a great attraction to the team...which builds up the payroll later on

think abouta theme park, you don't not put the Ultra twister in the park because it's too expensive, you put it in because it becomes a novelty that everyone want's to pay to come see.....

big daddy russ
01-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Tell that to the Yankees.
Or the Phillies or Mets or Dodgers or White Sox.

How many championships have the Yankees won in the past four years?

JasperDog94
01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
The Yankees are always going to be in the running just because they can pay the most. The players still have to go out and win it, but when you can just buy half of the American League all stars, then you have a corrupt system.

Astrosdawg07
01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
A rebuilding year would mean that they would be rebuilding to compete in the near future, thats not happening

Ya we are, do the names Chris Burke, Willy Taveras, and Charlton Jimmerson mean anything to you...

Astrosdawg07
01-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
because he sells tickets...which puts more people in the seats, which brings in more revenue, which has people buy more merchandise, which brings a great attraction to the team...which builds up the payroll later on

think abouta theme park, you don't not put the Ultra twister in the park because it's too expensive, you put it in because it becomes a novelty that everyone want's to pay to come see.....

Clemens does not bring in all that much revenue. He only pitches every 5th day. And you only average 16 starts a year at home.

pirate44
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Clemens does not bring in all that much revenue. He only pitches every 5th day. And you only average 16 starts a year at home.
i used to go to astros games at the dome just to get a glimpse of Nolan Ryan whether he pitched or not.