PDA

View Full Version : Best athlete ever in 3A?

Tidal Wave
01-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Who is the best athlete to ever play 3A ball in Texas???

big daddy russ
01-14-2005, 03:43 AM
I don't know about the best ever, but I'll throw a few names out there. DaBryon Blanton of Forney in the late 90's and early 00's, Tommy Blake of Aransas Pass in the early 00's, Clint Finley of Cuero in the mid-90's and (even though I wasn't there to see him play HS ball) I'd say Eric Dickerson was probably a pretty good athlete. I think Billy Pittman could also be mentioned somewhere in that group, as well as Manuel Johnson of Gilmer, Jordan Shipley of Burnet, and all of the Schobels down in Columbus.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones the come to mind at 3:00 in the morning.

big daddy russ
01-14-2005, 03:45 AM
Oh, and if I had to vote I'd give mine to Finley. Never saw Dickerson play, except when he went to the NFL.

YBS
01-14-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm assuming this doesn't include players from schools who've either dropped to or risen to the 3A level since those players were in high school.

HighSchool Fan
01-14-2005, 09:56 AM
This is an easy one, the best 3A player ever is..........Keith7. :D

injuredinmelee
01-14-2005, 10:53 AM
What about some of the Southlake kids back when they won Football and basketball in the same year. Maybe i am mistaken but it seems like they did that didnt they?

NHSRattler60
01-14-2005, 11:49 AM
jgoaijgaie;ohgpojgoire

TigerShark
01-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Anthony Byerly
6'-0" -- 190lb
RB - Newton '78-'81
Over 4000 yrd as a Sr., 1000 in 3 playoff games.
Lost to Cameron Yoe in a Tie. (No over-time system)
Only played in 1st halfs of most games.

All-State, All-American

2nd most recruited player in the nation in '81-'82 school year.

Signed with Texas, Started as a fresh. Broke leg as a Soph.
Played all four years at Texas.

Is still a legend in East Texas.

Old Cardinal
01-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Steve Wooster or (Stephen Worster) if you know him real well. He was by far the best in 3A, maybe the best in all classifications.

TigerShark
01-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Steve Wooster or (Stephen Worster) if you know him real well. He was by far the best in 3A, maybe the best in all classifications.

Way before my time, but he is also a legend in South East Texas.

Hupernikomen
01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Byerly, Wooster, Dickerson are all very good ones..

I would as Billy Simms to that list.

Now we need to start considering some stud defensive players in 3A that deserve some recognition..

YBS
01-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, I'd throw Mark Henry out there as a pure athlete. I, honestly, don't know how many records he holds between track & field and powerlifting but it's gotta be a lot. Silsbee was 4A when he competed though.

TigerShark
01-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Henry, you have got to be kidding me.

He was a big fatty. Strong, but fat.

He has slimmed up a bunch sence his days at Silsbee.

I saw him once at a West Brook powerlifting meet, he was in the bleachers and taking up about 4 seats.

I know that powerlifters are athletes, but my God. When I think of the best athletes in Texas I would at least like them to be able to jog a lap around the track and not think of a Snickers Bar.

Jody
01-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by TigerShark
Anthony Byerly
6'-0" -- 190lb
RB - Newton '78-'81
Over 4000 yrd as a Sr., 1000 in 3 playoff games.
Lost to Cameron Yoe in a Tie. (No over-time system)
Only played in 1st halfs of most games.

All-State, All-American

2nd most recruited player in the nation in '81-'82 school year.

Signed with Texas, Started as a fresh. Broke leg as a Soph.
Played all four years at Texas.

Is still a legend in East Texas.

WOW!

crabman
01-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I started watching Clint Finley in '93 when my kids were little. That was his sophomore year. I have never, ever seen anyone with the at any level of high school play that could run as fast, cut as sharp, hit as hard and and just play until he was physically spent, as Clint Finley. He was 6'-0" and 190lbs in high school. Small enough to be fast. Stout enough to dish it out. When he walked up to you he was just a normal looking guy. Put a uniform on him and he turned into superman. Ran 13.55 second 110 meter high hurdles. Won state his senior year. Cuero played the Schobel boys around that time. Never lost to them. They blossomed after high school. I have seen tape of Robert Strait but never saw him in person. Clint Finley was Strait with a good head on his shoulders.
To anybody who saw how Vincent Young looked in the bowl game. That is how Finley looked every play. Smooth. Only difference was that he could also run over you and then go play strong safety and clean your clock.
Blanton was fast but didn't have the whole package. Too slender of a build for football.

pirate44
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
best player i ever saw play ball was Willie Mack Garza for Refugio. Granted, Refugio was not 3a, Sinton had a traditional first game vs. Refugio every year. Luckily i was on the freshman team at the time and didnt have to go head to head with him.
He was an overall great athlete.

YBS
01-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Henry, you have got to be kidding me.

He was a big fatty. Strong, but fat.

He has slimmed up a bunch sence his days at Silsbee.

I saw him once at a West Brook powerlifting meet, he was in the bleachers and taking up about 4 seats.

I know that powerlifters are athletes, but my God. When I think of the best athletes in Texas I would at least like them to be able to jog a lap around the track and not think of a Snickers Bar.

Fat or not, I don't think he was THAT fat, kid broke records and it takes a gifted person to do that. We've all seen fat kids that couldn't throw up weight; he did it at a state record clip; you've gotta respect that

Hupernikomen
01-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by crabman
I have never, ever I have seen tape of Robert Strait but never saw him in person. Clint Finley was Strait with a good head on his shoulders.

I am quite surprised no one mentioned Robert Strait. I have never heard of Finley and am quite sure he was a phenom but Strait's numbers are unparalleled in 3A for a career.

TigerShark
01-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by YBS
Fat or not, I don't think he was THAT fat, kid broke records and it takes a gifted person to do that. We've all seen fat kids that couldn't throw up weight; he did it at a state record clip; you've gotta respect that

Respect, yes. Impressed, yes. Envy, I don't think so.

We are talking about the best athlete of all times.
My #1 athlete is not going to be a fat guy, especially not a fat guy that did not play football.

Hupernikomen
01-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by YBS

I don't know if strength alone can classify Henry as being a great athelete..I heard he could dunk a basketball...no doubt is probably one of the strongest kids ever.

I assumed we were restricting this to 3A football but if you open it up to other sports and genders we can start naming quite a few more candidates.

YBS
01-14-2005, 03:21 PM

My #1 athlete is not going to be a fat guy, especially not a fat guy that did not play football.

Point taken.

big daddy russ
01-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
...Now we need to start considering some stud defensive players in 3A that deserve some recognition.. Let's throw in Dat Nguyen of Rockport-Fulton. That guy was pretty small for a D1 recruit (he was maybe 185-190 in HS) but he hit like a Mack truck.

TigerShark
01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Let's throw in Dat Nguyen of Rockport-Fulton. That guy was pretty small for a D1 recruit (he was maybe 185-190 in HS) but he hit like a Mack truck.

Was R-F 3a or 4a when Dat played.

We are looking for the best 3a athletes.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-14-2005, 04:03 PM

My #1 athlete is not going to be a fat guy, especially not a fat guy that did not play football. just because someone didnt play football in high school, that is no grounds for them not being considered for something like this. i love football as much as the next guy, but which sport is in the olyimpics again? yea thats right, powerlifting. im not saying henry is the greatest athlete in 3a sports, but he should get some recognition for his outstanding efforts.

big daddy russ
01-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Was R-F 3a or 4a when Dat played.

We are looking for the best 3a athletes. They moved up to 4A in '94. Dat graduated the May before the bump.

TigerShark
01-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
just because someone didnt play football in high school, that is no grounds for them not being considered for something like this. i love football as much as the next guy, but which sport is in the olyimpics again? yea thats right, powerlifting. im not saying henry is the greatest athlete in 3a sports, but he should get some recognition for his outstanding efforts.

Are we recognizing all athletes are picking the best?

This post is titled "Best athlete ever in 3A?"

Not, "Let's recognize all athletes in Texas"

1. Henry is from Silsbee, at the time a 4a -- disqualified

2. I told you MY best athlete

3. I told you why Henry, even if he was eligible, could not be MY best athlete ever in 3a.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Are we recognizing all athletes are picking the best?

This post is titled "Best athlete ever in 3A?"

Not, "Let's recognize all athletes in Texas"

1. Henry is from Silsbee, at the time a 4a -- disqualified

2. I told you MY best athlete

3. I told you why Henry, even if he was eligible, could not be MY best athlete ever in 3a. what i was trying to calrify was that just because someone didnt play football didnt make them eligable to be honored. i was using henry as an example, not saying he was your best athlete.

mustang04
01-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Michael Carrillo from Sweetwater....started at QB for 3 years, ill get more stats later

anybody from west texas should DEFINITELY know who this kid is

Ranger Mom
01-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
Michael Carrillo from Sweetwater....started at QB for 3 years, ill get more stats later

anybody from west texas should DEFINITELY know who this kid is

I know who he is....and I would have to submit Greenwood's Dawson Wilber to list also!

mustang04
01-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I know who he is....and I would have to submit Greenwood's Dawson Wilber to list also!

wilbur was great himself...great Qb and kicked a 52 yard field-goal.....Rangermom, remember when we lost to yall my junior year in the playoffs, but one play michael threw the ball over 60 yards while scrambling?? he overthrew our receiver cuz our WR thought he couldnt make it that far so he started commin back haha

Ranger Mom
01-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
wilbur was great himself...great Qb and kicked a 52 yard field-goal.....Rangermom, remember when we lost to yall my junior year in the playoffs, but one play michael threw the ball over 60 yards while scrambling?? he overthrew our receiver cuz our WR thought he couldnt make it that far so he started commin back haha

I remember that and MANY other scrambling plays that Carillo ran that never ceased to amaze me!

Highschoolfan78
01-14-2005, 11:02 PM
1. Clint Finely... I lived a block away from him and I would idolize him as a young'n. His brother and I were good friends back in elementary. I remember being a 7th grader as Coach Benner, a great coach, marveled on how Clint Finley's work habits were. He talked about how Clint would hall hay all day and at the end of the day he would get a weight bar and load it up while going up the stands. He was deticated to every sport he played.

2. He could also be my number 1. He of course is Robert Strait which has stats that are better than many NFL runningbacks. I counted that he had more yards and TD's than like 6 of the starters in the NFL today. Shaun Alexander was one of the people that he had beatin.

3. Adrian Alaniz.. He excelled as a great QB and a phenominal pitcher/ hitter in baseball. I remember watching him play a few years ago at the Cuero/Sinton playoff game in baseball.

4. Ryan Wagner... Baseball pitcher who made people suffer when he was pitching. Although it is not high school, he was one of few who jumped from AA minors all the way to the majors in one year. Yoakum is very proud of Ryan Wagner as they should be. This year he's gonna be on my fantasy team.

5. Andrew Heard QB for Cuero a few years ago. Amazing story as an athlete and as a human being.

6. Randy Boone.. One of the best leaders i have seen in high school, whether what ever sport.. He has a bright future ahead of him.

7.Jordan Shipley- Great athlete , enough said.