PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel Coach to Aransas Pass?

PhiI C
01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I just caught part of the Corpus Christi Channel 6 news a while ago and they mentioned the Port Isabel Coach may be the next coach of Aransas Pass. I missed what they said about Coach Sosa but he must be leaving. I will catch the later edition tonight and update.

RPM
01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
rumors are starting to fly but nothing official. will see....

Phil C
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I saw the later update and they just said that they had reached a settlement with Sosa and were now looking for a head coach. The Port Isabel Coach was mentioned as a possibility.

GOFOR2
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I really dont see how the P.I. coach could or would want to leave the valley for AP, unless he is getting low rent to free housing, free use of a charter boat or yacht, and all the shrimp he could eat.

Stretch04
01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Are they going to make the thump thump coach the AD? If so there goes any hope of a decent FB program. Nothing against Coach Hayes, but there isn't a decent FB program around with a BBall coach as the AD.

big daddy russ
01-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
I really dont see how the P.I. coach could or would want to leave the valley for AP, unless he is getting low rent to free housing, free use of a charter boat or yacht, and all the shrimp he could eat. AP has tons of talent. For a two-year stretch in '01 (they didn't even make the playoffs) and '02 (second round, lost to Port Isabel) they had enough to win a D2 state title and back in '98 and '99 they went deep into the playoffs. Their '01 and '02 teams had four players who should've played Division I ball (Daniel Hillis and Tommy Blake made it... Tyler Ogle was almost picked up by Princeton and Leon Belfon should've gone to a IAA school) and three or four more who played in college at some level.

If it's Coach Stumbaugh they're talking about, he'll be pleasantly surprised with what he has to work with. If it's one of the assistants we're talking about, AP is a great place to get a start.

GOFOR2
01-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
AP has tons of talent. For a two-year stretch in '01 (they didn't even make the playoffs) and '02 (second round, lost to Port Isabel) they had enough to win a D2 state title and back in '98 and '99 they went deep into the playoffs. Their '01 and '02 teams had four players who should've played Division I ball (Daniel Hillis and Tommy Blake made it... Tyler Ogle was almost picked up by Princeton and Leon Belfon should've gone to a IAA school) and three or four more who played in college at some level.

If it's Coach Stumbaugh they're talking about, he'll be pleasantly surprised with what he has to work with. If it's one of the assistants we're talking about, AP is a great place to get a start.

Sure thing dude

Tidal Wave
01-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Coach Stumbaugh is not leaving for Aransas Pass..I just thought i'd kill this rumor already..and according to him he never even applied to AP..but then why would AP have him as the frontrunner?:thinking: ......well thats what he told his Seniors......I dunno..but supposably according to him he aint leavin..peace

AP Panther Fan
01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
I really dont see how the P.I. coach could or would want to leave the valley for AP, unless he is getting low rent to free housing, free use of a charter boat or yacht, and all the shrimp he could eat.

All of the above could certainly be arranged! Thanks for kind sentiments GOFOR2.

I have heard that it might be a PI assistant coach being considered among others.

big daddy russ
01-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
All of the above could certainly be arranged! Thanks for kind sentiments GOFOR2. He's such a sweetheart, isn't he?

Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the PI defensive coordinator. He's put together a hell of a D down there and is due for an HC spot.

AP Panther Fan
01-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Right?:rolleyes:

I am hoping whoever gets the thumbsup shows enthusiasm for the job and can strengthen our program. Got to get the kids on his side and excited about being there! I will absolutely throw-up if we end up with a roster of 21 again!:D

footballgal
01-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He's such a sweetheart, isn't he?

Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the PI defensive coordinator. He's put together a hell of a D down there and is due for an HC spot.

I'd hate to loose either one of them, Coach Birtchum, has done a heck of a job with the defense. He stepped right in, didn't skip a beat after the sudden death of one great and long time PI Coach Villarreal, better known as Coach V. But if he indeed applied, that is good news, because that means that his health is better, and that is very great news! But again, I hope it's not either one of them, as they both are great coaches!