PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget that tomorrow (Thursday)

PhiI C
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
TCM is showing the great Lon Channey movie The Unholy Three at 9:00 A.M. This was Lon Channey's last movie and his only talking movie so you get to see this actor and hear him. A treat for all! If you can't watch it live then record it for later. A great actor indeed whose untimely death prevented him from being a big hit in the talkies.

Bullaholic
01-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Didn't he talk in some of the movies in which he played a werewolf, Phil?

Phil C
01-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Didn't he talk in some of the movies in which he played a werewolf, Phil?

Bull that was his son Lon Channey Jr. who appeared in many movies usually as a character actor. If you ever see the movie High Noon with Gary Cooper that is him playing the old retired sheriff who refuses to help Cooper.

Bullaholic
01-12-2005, 03:48 PM
You are so right, Phil. "High Noon reminds me of "Gunsmoke" and James Arness. Did you know that in the original movie "Thing", that James Arness played the alien? Also, that James Arness and Peter Graves the actor are brothers. I remember watching all of these old movies and T.V. shows as a kid when they aired originally, Phil, and i bet you did too.

Phil C
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You are so right, Phil. "High Noon reminds me of "Gunsmoke" and James Arness. Did you know that in the original movie "Thing", that James Arness played the alien? Also, that James Arness and Peter Graves the actor are brothers. I remember watching all of these old movies and T.V. shows as a kid when they aired originally, Phil, and i bet you did too.

You are right there Bull. I remember The Thing. Peter Graves was also a great actor and in Stalag 17 he was the German that spied on the Americans in the prison camp. I know you know that John Wayne was the original choice for Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke but he turned it down but reccommended his good friend James Arness - and the rest is history.

Phil C
01-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Bull I know you know in High Noon Gary Cooper has to face the outlaws by himself and no one in town will help him. John Wayne made Rio Bravo a few years later to contradict High Noon. In Rio Bravo Wayne plays the sheriff who has to face outlaws and everyone wants to help him but he refuses since he is a lawman and feels it is his job. Both great movies.
Fred McMurray, Dorothy Malone, Skip Homier, and Walter Breenan were in a western that was based on High Noon called At Gunpoint. McMurray plays a local store owner who picks up the sheriff (who has been shot and killed by bank robbers) and gets off a lucky shot killing the outlaw carrying the gun. Even though it was a lucky shot the towns people make him out a hero. The catch is that the outlaw he shot is the brother of the leader (Skip Homier) who vows vengence. The towns people refuse to help McMurray just like they did Cooper in High Noon and McMurray obviously outmatched has to face the outlaws alone. The towns people have a change of heart at the last minute and come to McMurray's rescue getting the drop on the outlaws after they ride into town. Homier makes a break on his horse toward McMurray to kill him but he is blasted out of his saddle with a shotgun blast by Breenan. A good movie indeed.

sahen
01-12-2005, 05:10 PM
and dont forget phil that tonight Texas ladies play Tech ladies in basketball in Lubbock, and in case ur interested at the same time Baylor will be playing in Nebraska....

Phil C
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by sahen
and dont forget phil that tonight Texas ladies play Tech ladies in basketball in Lubbock, and in case ur interested at the same time Baylor will be playing in Nebraska....

Great games indeed sahen and please post results when you find out. I don't think any of the ladies' games are on tv though. :(

sahen
01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
updates for u phil....
baylor and nebraska r going to overtime...baylor is doing horrible in lincoln, they cant shoot a freethrow to save their life, they also mised a wide open layup as time was expiring that would have won the game....
Tech is beating Texas 70 to 65 with 1:30 left in the game...

sahen
01-12-2005, 10:17 PM
more updates...
baylor and nebraska r going to double OT after baylor hit a jumper with .2 seconds left to tie it again...phew...hopefuly we can pull it out oh yah baylor also pulled a webber and called a timeout with none to hlep nebraska tie it.....
tech finished off texas in lubbock 79-62

sahen
01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
k now....its going to triple OT.....this has to be one of the best games i have heard, i cant imagine what it would be like watching it.....baylor got ahead by 3 with 30 seconds left and then NU hit a 3 from NBA range to tie it....gosh i really hope the lady bears will pull it out

sahen
01-12-2005, 10:52 PM
well....baylor lost 103-99....in triple OT....great

LH Panther Mom
01-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by sahen
well....baylor lost 103-99....in triple OT....great

:( Sorry about that.

WTG, Lady Raiders! Yippee!