PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma if you thought Stoops and Switzer were great!

PhiI C
01-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Of course they were but one coach that a lot of young folks may not know about was Coach Bud Wilkinson (1916 - 1994). He played on a national championship at Minnesota in 1937 and coached Oklahoma 1947 to 1963. He had an incredible record of 145 - 29 - 4. He had undefeated, untied teams in 1949 and 1954 to 1956. He had national championships in 1950, 1955 and 1956 and this was at a time when the national championship was decided during the regular season and bowl games didn't count. It was also during the time as Darrell Royal said that as long as a big ten school or Notre Dame were undefeated no one else had a chance at the national championship which was usually true. His Oklahoma team has the record of winning 47 straight games from 1953 to 1957 which has been approached but never caught. Texas A&I in Kingsville came closest in the 70s at 44 (It was Texas A&I at the time). Wilkinson's heisman trophy winner was Billy Vessels in 1952. He retired from coaching in 1963 and ran for the State senate but lost (many thought because OK lost to Texas). He was an outstanding sports comentator for ABC for many years afterward. He did coach the St. Louis Cardinals for a couple of years (I think). But his main legendary accomplishments were at Oklahoma and indeed he had a remarkable record. He was known for fair play and a clean program that was free from scandles.

Bull's-eye
01-12-2005, 07:51 PM
He also did a great job as a college football TV commentator.

lepfan
01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I used to have a t shirt that said
BUD
BARRY
BOB

When I was in Texas I had to explain what it was...:)

Phil C
01-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I used to have a t shirt that said
BUD
BARRY
BOB

When I was in Texas I had to explain what it was...:)

What is Bob? I know that when Bud Wilkinson ran for the Senate as a republican the democrates in OK came up with the saying "Beat Bud, Barry, and Texas!" The Barry meant the Republican Barry Goldwater (spelling?) who was running against Lyndon Johnson for president. I thought the only one they had a chance to beat was Barry but they also beat Bud too. However they didn't beat Texas. :) Oh well two out of three ain't bad! :)

LH Panther Mom
01-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
What is Bob? I know that when Bud Wilkinson ran for the Senate as a republican the democrates in OK came up with the saying "Beat Bud, Barry, and Texas!" The Barry meant the Republican Barry Goldwater (spelling?) who was running against Lyndon Johnson for president. I thought the only one they had a chance to beat was Barry but they also beat Bud too. However they didn't beat Texas. :) Oh well two out of three ain't bad! :)

Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer & Bob Stoops. Lepfan is an Okie. :D

Phil C
01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I was placing it in 1964! :)

lepfan
01-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Thanks for clearing that up. :)