PDA

View Full Version : ruling on helmet visors??

out_the_gate
01-10-2005, 11:51 PM
I noticed that the visors that players wear on their helmets were very popular this year. I was told by many that the visors must be clear, but when i watched the smithson valley-south lake carroll game, I noticed that one of the S-V players had a mirror tinted visor on. Anybody know the official ruling on that???

kaorder1999
01-11-2005, 12:08 AM
last i heard was that they had to be prescriptioned...i have no idea for sure though

TXMike
01-11-2005, 06:37 AM
There has to be a doctor's note indicating a tinted visor is required and that note has to be signed off on by UIL as well. Whether that particular kid had that or not, I do not know.

whtfbplaya
01-11-2005, 02:25 PM
The kid claimed to have the doctors note on file at the school, but it is required that the note be brought to the game. The officials were going to make him take it off, but when they met with the director of UIL he said he would take responsibility for it so they let him play. The reason for this rule was that doctors need to be able to see a players eyes in case of a neck, head, or back injury.

Old Dog
01-12-2005, 10:19 AM
In my "old school" way of thinking, a tinted visor is an unfair advantage. Reaction to an opposing players eyes is a key tactic for both offense an defense teams. Either no one wears tinted visors or everyone gets one.

The same thing goes for deep tinted windows on drivers side windows. If you can't see whether the driver sees you, it leaves you at a safety disadvantage.

TXMike
01-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Since the rule specifically limits "eyeshields" I suppose if a player wanted to wear tinted sports goggles he could get around the rule. I suspect most HS refs would see that as a violation of the intent of the rule and not permit it but who knows?