PDA

View Full Version : My projections of the two best 3A teams in baseball

Old Cardinal
01-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I would hope that a lot of people will enter a new thread giving their two projected best baseball teams by seasons end....In doing so, it should give us a little insight on the big picture of HS 3A baseball teams across the state.

Well my two that stand out above the others, both are "Cardinal" teams---COLUMBUS AND BRIDGE CITY

COLUMBUS comes back this year with a huge group of premium returnees; just as Bridge City does... Columbus returns 11 hoss players.
SENIORS Hadley Sciba, Craig Lilie, Tyler Rau, Matt Turner and Jake Koehl
JUNIORS John Wooten, Aaron Cable, Garrett Schindler, Tray Wegenhoft and Taylor Janek
They finished 19-5 with a young team last year and are poised to give some folks real trouble this year. Look for them to be real hitters again this season.

BRIDGE CITY will be gathering speed during the year and should be peaking about post season also. They have two out of three(both Juniors) of the top 20 Select team pitchers in America that play 3A ball. The other 3A pitcher of this same caliber is Nick Ayers over at West Orange-Stark.
SENIORS Darrel Stevens, Hunter Hays, Ben Myers,
David Coulter, Kirt Vincent, and Ryan Richard
JUNIORS Kevin Angelle, Broc Haymon, Cody Sparks, Derrick Coleman
SOPHOMORES Johnny Dishon is a true standout; however, there are a number of quality Sophomores that play baseball.

These two teams are both loaded with proven seasoned players at every position and also have big premium strong pitching staffs. That is why I feel they are the two best teams in 3A baseball come playoff time.

Please start a thread and tell us about the two teams that you see as the best(dream teams) and give your reasoning.

PhiI C
01-10-2005, 09:40 PM
As long as Hornung is playing for Lorena (he is a senior this year) Lorena is dangerous. You read it here first. If you meet them in the playoffs you better walk him.

onfirebball05mustang
01-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Man, I'm just hoping to make it to playoffs this season! We made it in back in 2003, but were beat by Navasota. I have a feeling if we can stick together and stay out of trouble, Manor might just have a chance this year. Losing last year's seniors was tough on us, but I've got faith in our guys this year! I also just have this feeling our district may be a little tougher than we're expecting, so good luck to all the teams!

00Sinker
01-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Columbus has a young stud coming off a good soph year. I forgot his name, but I saw him pitch against us last year and I was really impressed with this young kid. I pitched in college and he has the machanics and the right kind of head if you know what i am talking about to pitch at the next level. Since he is a junior that means he has 2 years to prove what he can do. Navasota will have two youngsters this year and they played well in the summer. If they pitched the way they did this summer then Navasota and Columbus will be hard to be in district.

Old Cardinal
01-10-2005, 11:07 PM
To Sinker, I am guessing you are talking about Taylor Janek?? They have several promising Juniors...

89JDAWG
01-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Jasper will make another run this year after losing to lorena in the regional finals last year. The Dawgs may be a little young this year but after fall ball they will be ready.

Hupernikomen
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Jasper has had a long run of having at least one dominate picther...girdley/yates/yates...who will pick up the slack this year?

pancho villa
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Who cares!

JasperDog94
01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Who cares! If you're going to try to insult someone, do so with proper punctuation. It should read, "Who cares? ". Thanks for your attention to details.:p :p

Jody
01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If you're going to try to insult someone, do so with proper punctuation. It should read, "Who cares? ". Thanks for your attention to details.:p :p

HAHAHA Too Funny

Jody
01-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I would hope that a lot of people will enter a new thread giving their two projected best baseball teams by seasons end....In doing so, it should give us a little insight on the big picture of HS 3A baseball teams across the state.

Well my two that stand out above the others, both are "Cardinal" teams---COLUMBUS AND BRIDGE CITY

COLUMBUS comes back this year with a huge group of premium returnees; just as Bridge City does... Columbus returns 11 hoss players.
SENIORS Hadley Sciba, Craig Lilie, Tyler Rau, Matt Turner and Jake Koehl
JUNIORS John Wooten, Aaron Cable, Garrett Schindler, Tray Wegenhoft and Taylor Janek
They finished 19-5 with a young team last year and are poised to give some folks real trouble this year. Look for them to be real hitters again this season.

BRIDGE CITY will be gathering speed during the year and should be peaking about post season also. They have two out of three(both Juniors) of the top 20 Select team pitchers in America that play 3A ball. The other 3A pitcher of this same caliber is Nick Ayers over at West Orange-Stark.
SENIORS Darrel Stevens, Hunter Hays, Ben Myers,
David Coulter, Kirt Vincent, and Ryan Richard
JUNIORS Kevin Angelle, Broc Haymon, Cody Sparks, Derrick Coleman
SOPHOMORES Johnny Dishon is a true standout; however, there are a number of quality Sophomores that play baseball.

These two teams are both loaded with proven seasoned players at every position and also have big premium strong pitching staffs. That is why I feel they are the two best teams in 3A baseball come playoff time.

Please start a thread and tell us about the two teams that you see as the best(dream teams) and give your reasoning.

Where does Barbers Hill rank in your books this year? Forget the last 2004 BC football game before answering that.....just kidding.

Hope all is well.

UPanIN
01-11-2005, 04:51 PM
At the end of last year Columbus looked very good with such a young team. The first part of play in D20-3A Columbus was a little error prone that may have cost them some games but by the end of the year that young club grew up alot.
They should be very tough and should be favored to win D20-3A.

Navasota lost 6-7 starters but have a solid group of kids coming up. They really only have 3-4 sr's that will see alot of playing time unless someone steps up(my opinon). A couple of the younger kids look pretty good at pitching but will have to improve in the field and hitting to really help the team. If the Rattlers depend on just the two under grads for pitching they will be in trouble.

The two sr's Wisnoski and Martin will have to step up and pitch some if the team is going anywhere. This is asking a lot because both have seen very few innings the past two years. Maybe less than 20 innings between them but both are hard to rattle and just keep bringing it.

XMan
01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Great post Old Card. I agree with you that Columbus will be tough. Janak really came along after the middle of the year. As stated, Columbus started 2-4 in district but then didnt lose again until the 2nd Jasper game to finish the season 22-7. Their other losses were to LaGrange(1-3), Bellville twice, and to Sealy and Navasota both (1-7) on consecutive days. They will be tough but not even a shoe in as dist. champs. Bellville has their top dog pitcher back. This guy pitched in 8 of 10 dist. games last year because of the way the schedule fell. If Bellville gets a favorable schedule like that again they will have a chance. Any time this lefty pitches, they have a chance to win. Navasota lost a lot of talented seniors, they probably were the most talented team in the dist. last year. They had 3 guys over 85 and a good catcher and some guys that could hit. Sealy has some good athletes but they arent baseball players. Hempstead and Rice should discontinue the sport and just play football and hoops. Bridge City should be a powerhouse in the golden triangle along with WO-S. Barbers Hill is always good. Stalbaum always finds a way to scrape together a powerful 9. I dont know what Lufkin Hudson has back but they are the perennial favorite in the piney woods along with Jasper although Jasper did lose a lot to graduation. In Central Region III, Lorena has got be given credit until someone can out do them. They STILL have guys coming back off of the last two great teams. Believe me now, La Grange will be better than expected. They lost MUCHO to grad. but they have some returns that any team would be glad to have. My sleeper for the year is Hallettsville. Any time a Appelt is on the team, they have a shot at winning it all. They have a senior Appelt this year, so look out. Hope to hear from others.

Astrosdawg07
01-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Jasper has had a long run of having at least one dominate picther...girdley/yates/yates...who will pick up the slack this year?

That will be our weakness, we have a junior in Brandon Kines who we are counting on. I believe the district newcomer should come out of Jasper also, which would be Travis Reagan(SOPH)(SP & C). You might remember his brother Jason who played for Jasper last year. We are very young this year but have added a lot of speed. We will have two seniors this year, Ryan Malone(OF) and Mike Reilly(SS). Reilly maybe one of the best players in 3A. He has great range to go along with his great plate discipline.

setex
01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
OC is right on the money will this area. Bridge City on paper is the team to beat in the area. They have many arms, losing Haymon to Tommy John will be felt, but their staff is loaded.

WO-S will surprise some people this year. They competed well
in a strong 4A district with Little Cypress Mauriceville and
Port Neches Groves last year, perinal powerhouses in southeast
Texas.

I like Jasper with a strong tradition and let's not forget Hamshire-Fannett who beat Bellville and gave Columbus all they could handle.

pancho villa
01-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Jasperdog94 you need to get a life. Only a loser would worry about punctuation in this case.

89JDAWG
01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

we dont have one going in and are going to have to develop one. Last year we finished second behind hudson they had two great lefties and I know one is returing so they should be strong. But in our new district who will be contenders? How strong is Silsbee? I know coldspring has several younger select teams, they
may contend. I dont know about anyone else. I assume Kville will be good.

Rainman
01-12-2005, 01:45 PM
The Hill's pitching isn't going to be as deep this year, but the bats will be there and so will the Coaching staff. They will have something to say about the team to come out of Region 3 in the playoffs

Old Cardinal
01-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I am hearing that Lufkin Hudson and several Waco area teams just might be the unnoticed teams; thusfar, that could well surprise folks this season. Any comments?

Astrosdawg07
01-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I am hearing that Lufkin Hudson and several Waco area teams just might be the unnoticed teams; thusfar, that could well surprise folks this season. Any comments?

I promise you Hudson will be good. Coach Kimball(spelling?) Will have his boys ready. Here in Jasper though we had one of the best off-seasons in a long time so we are looking for great things this year. GO DAWGS!!!

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2005, 01:54 AM
dont forget about the little team from Sinton called the Pirates who have their ENTIRE starting rotation back and look for antoher shot at Round Rock/Austin

VWG
01-13-2005, 06:29 AM
The Decatur Eagles could be a sleeper in Region I.
They were a freshman/soph. laden team last year that made it to the playoffs. Without Lake Dallas (moved up to 4A) in their district they could win their district and then make a strong run into the playoffs.

Hupernikomen
01-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
That will be our weakness, we have a junior in Brandon Kines who we are counting on. I believe the district newcomer should come out of Jasper also, which would be Travis Reagan(SOPH)(SP & C). You might remember his brother Jason who played for Jasper last year. We are very young this year but have added a lot of speed. We will have two seniors this year, Ryan Malone(OF) and Mike Reilly(SS). Reilly maybe one of the best players in 3A. He has great range to go along with his great plate discipline.

Reilly is a tremendous player...great defensive SS who has a strong bat..should be high on some peoples recruiting list.

89JDAWG
01-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Reilly is on alot of scouts lists. The lufkin area will be tough I dont know how anyone can call them sleepers. They have developed a top notch select league that is helping their high school program. Every age group has a very good select team that will travel all over to play. Hudson is right with them too. So both will be strong for years to come.

j_dog
01-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
... We will have two seniors this year, Ryan Malone(OF) and Mike Reilly(SS). ....
Talking about speed, is Jordan Patton not coming out for his senior year?

g$$
01-21-2005, 01:50 AM
Enjoyed the posts by everyone. Baseball season is coming!! A district many of you are overlooking is the one with Sweeny, WC, Wharton, etc. This is not to disrespect any others, but there are some fine players in that district & both Sweeny & Wharton begin the year in the top 25 3A poll. WC has a good group returning & is coming down from 4A. They can hit (Jacob Howard, etc.) but must find a couple of lockdown pitchers. They do have some good kids though, so we'll see how they develop as the year progresses. You can't outscore people every night (no playoffs last year). Sweeny went three rounds deep last year & lost to a fine Yoakum team (who returns their top 2 starters in Boening & Starling). Blake Williams is developing rapidly, but they must find more pitching & have some juniors step up across the diamond. Williams is one of the top juniors in the state, but others will need to come along for a deep playoff run. Wharton is always salty in baseball & has a fine outfielder named Barker. Not sure about their pitching at this time. The Houston Area is a very fertile area for baseball as always. I may have to go see that Columbus / Sweeny matchup early in the season. Those Golden Triangle teams are always competitive & turn out lots of prospects. Hunter Hays from Bridge City can flat-out rake. Good luck to all this year. Go to thsbmag.com for preseason rankings & top prospects compiled mainly through the THSCA (click on Newsletters...).

Hey Pancho Villa - no one cares about track. Don't knock us seamheads just because you couldn't play it & no one comes to track meets. Just kidding big boy.

pancho villa
01-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Track rules. do not forget it.

SintonFan
01-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
dont forget about the little team from Sinton called the Pirates who have their ENTIRE starting rotation back and look for antoher shot at Round Rock/Austin
Sinton is ranked 3rd in the THSBCA preseason poll. :clap: :)
Fal is ranked 8th. :thumbsup:

seasick4
01-21-2005, 03:06 PM
I dont know what Xman is thinking. I guess that he doesnt know crap. All of the rest of the district will prove him wrong. Mr. F.......Xman, what a...... Hempstead isnt very much, but Rice has gotten alot better over the years. They have all their starters back and finished last year beating Sweeny and Wharton in that district. It will be a tough 20-AAA district. With Navasota and Columbus locking down spots and Rice, Sealy and Bellville battling it out for third.

Go Brahmas!!

wildkat0507
01-21-2005, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Old Cardinal

SENIORS Darrel Stevens, Hunter Hays, Ben Myers,.............hmmmm yep they are great!! i agree that bc has a good team this year especially with these three.

Hittem Hunter!!

crabman
01-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Watch out for Yoakum. They are in our district. Riley Boening on the mound was untouchable as a Junior. Two no hitters deep in the playoffs. Travis Starling on the mound as well. Those guys and Coach Woods have been there before. Boening has already committed to UT. Ryan Wagner is already pitching in the big leagues after a total of 10 innings in the minors. Ryan was from Yoakum. Randy Boone pitched for UT as a true freshman. He was from Yoakum. Riley is better than both of them. I know he is just one guy but I think he can carry them.

Speed24
01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I see Columbus being a state champion either this year or next...This team has no soft spot, every position is filled with young talent......p.s.> 3/4 of the team plays ball all year round!

Go get em Cards!

UPanIN
01-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by seasick4
With Navasota and Columbus locking down spots and Rice, Sealy and Bellville battling it out for third.

Go Brahmas!!

The Rattlers are not a lock. Many many holes to fill. Granted they have some under classmen that are pretty good. But they haven't been in any big games so we'll see how they do.

Go Rattlers!

CheerMom
01-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by seasick4
I dont know what Xman is thinking. I guess that he doesnt know crap. All of the rest of the district will prove him wrong. Mr. F.......Xman, what a...... Hempstead isnt very much, but Rice has gotten alot better over the years. They have all their starters back and finished last year beating Sweeny and Wharton in that district. It will be a tough 20-AAA district. With Navasota and Columbus locking down spots and Rice, Sealy and Bellville battling it out for third.

I agree that Rice's program has improved the past few years. This is a sport that has always been the Raider's weakness. But, I think this group of boys will have something to say about that, this year. I'm looking forward to them doing great things, and making people take notice. Good Luck to all the teams in D20!!

XMan
01-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Seasick, you've been on the boat too long. While I agree Rice is better than they are in some years, they will not be able to make the playoffs. Bellville, Navasota, and Columbus will fill the 3 spots. You can mark it down now. Since you say Go Brahmas, that should make you happy. As for Rice, they have had baseball about 30 years and have never made the playoffs and this will not be the year to break the string. Their best team ever was in '92 when they beat eventual state finalist Bellville in the last game of the season. That year they had A. Machac, T. Ford, K. Jackson, and the Sims Bros. Because of many factors Rice has a tough time competing with the other teams in the district. Each year they have a couple of good players who are ok but in general there is a lack of committment from the school district, athletic dept and student body. Until this changes, football and basketball will be #1. I would like to see them get it going in baseball but its going to take a lot of work and unfortunately for the seniors, it wont be this year. But just remember, I dont know anything.

X

g$$
01-24-2005, 03:36 AM
Just to clarify, Rice did NOT beat Sweeny & Wharton in that district last year. Your facts are wrong. Sweeny won that district by a full game & Wharton was 2nd (& then Needville I think). Sweeny went on to fall to Yoakum 3 rounds deep. Boening signed early with Texas in November. But that is last year & does not matter anymore. Now is now. Lots of good 3A teams will battle it out. Names that jump out on my list for SE Texas are: Boening & Starling (Yoakum), Williams (Sweeny), Hays (Bridge City), Howard (WC), & Reilly (Jasper). Houston Area all classifications would be Thompson (2nd Baptist), Bussey (LaPorte), K. Drabek (Woodlands), Seastrunk (Channelview), Russell (Tomball), Whittleman (Kingwood), Jenkins (Cy Falls) & Colligan (Ft. Bend) to name a few. Elkins has a fine Venezuelan infielder too. Hammack (Angleton), Vern (Bwood) & Aaron Miller are fine prospects too. Ready for baseball baby!