PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran

Astrosdawg07
01-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Is he the biggest liar in sports right now? He said he was only going to sign with a team that was in contention for a pennant, SO he chose the METS? Come on, THANKS FOR SCREWING THE ASTROS OVER BELTRAN! :foul:

sahen
01-09-2005, 04:29 PM
i hope the mets get him since they offered the same amount as us and then he is a huge bust and keeps them in the doldroms of the nl east....keeps them out of the playoffs for the next 10 years because the payroll is too high to pay anyone else....but im not bitter..

Leopards,class of 75
01-09-2005, 04:49 PM
How much $$$$$ did the Met's give him?

Astrosdawg07
01-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
How much $$$$$ did the Met's give him?

7 Years @ 119 million.

Leopards,class of 75
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
7 Years @ 119 million. Thanks Astrosdawg, thats only 17 million a year!!! lol

VWG
01-09-2005, 05:19 PM
It's business... you have to understand that.

AggieJohn
01-09-2005, 06:50 PM
and we offered 7 yrs 110 right

Gobbler Fan
01-09-2005, 07:27 PM
He never said he was going to resign with the Stro's I dont think he did anything wrong , his agent got him the best deal possible and he took it nothing wrong with that.

Astrosdawg07
01-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
He never said he was going to resign with the Stro's I dont think he did anything wrong , his agent got him the best deal possible and he took it nothing wrong with that.

No, but he was quoted as saying he was going to sign w/ a contender. He also said for him to sign w/ the Astros certain things needed to be done, ala resigning Biggio, and they did. I just believe Beltran is no longer a class act. Boy things can change when it comes to money.

gobbler grad
01-09-2005, 08:09 PM
i know its business, but it would have been nice to him in Houston...has anyone heard how Berkman is doing and wonder if he will be ready for the beginning of spring training

Astrosdawg07
01-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
and we offered 7 yrs 110 right

No, from what I've read it was 7 years @ 105 million.

Astrosdawg07
01-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
i know its business, but it would have been nice to him in Houston...has anyone heard how Berkman is doing and wonder if he will be ready for the beginning of spring training

From what is being said there in no way in hell he will even be back before April :eek: ...

Bull's-eye
01-10-2005, 01:50 PM
New York has a state income tax and Texas doesn't. I think the $$ the Astros offered would almost net out to the amount Beltran will get from the Mets. We all remember what he did in the play-offs, but paying that kind of money to a regular season .280 hitter was a huge gamble. If he didn't play up to expectations, the Astros would be financially strapped for several years. I think the Astros should start developing their farm clubs and look to the future. They could trade some of their veteran players to teams trying to make the play-offs, hopefully getting some top young players in return.

ej2525
01-10-2005, 02:03 PM
There was a "No trade clause" in the Mets offer. The Stros didn't have a "No trade agreement" in their offer is what I heard. I really wish we could have kept him. But, I think you are right Bulls-eye about paying too much for him. It's almost like putting all (most) of your eggs in one basket. If that basket turns up roten... you are SOL! I am ready to see how this affects and other trades or signing of free agents in the next few weeks. I guess we might see Biggio still in left field now instead of @ 2B. Lamb.... welcome to the starting lineup!!

Phil C
01-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Is there a state income tax in New Jersey?

big daddy russ
01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Is there a state income tax in New Jersey? Texas, Florida, Alaska, Nevada, New Hampshire, Wyoming, Washington and South Dakota are the only states I know that don't have a state income tax. Also, I think either Kentucky or Tennessee (or one of those states around there) doesn't have one, but I could be wrong.

Jody
01-10-2005, 03:22 PM
When they say it's not about money, it really is. Problem is the money was about equal considering all factors, but he wanted a no trade clause, which the Astros should have given him.

Phil C
01-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jody
When they say it's not about money, it really is. Problem is the money was about equal considering all factors, but he wanted a no trade clause, which the Astros should have given him.

You are probably right Jody because with the state income tax there the money would probably even out even though they were higher because of the tax. Sort of the same thing when the Nets offered Jason Kidd a little more money to stay there instead of come to San Antonio. It cost Jason Kidd an opportunity to play with Tim Duncan and probably his last chance to get an NBA championship ring (noticed I said NBA not World Championship) unless he can get on somewhere and ride the bench for minimum after his prime years are over with some title contender like Malone tried to do with the Lakers.

Bull's-eye
01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Just think if the Astros didn't make the play-offs, Beltran would not be signing for this much $$. :thinking:

AggieJohn
01-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Is he the biggest lier in sports right now? He said he was only going to sign with a team that was in contention for a pennant, SO he chose the METS? Come on, THANKS FOR SCREWING THE ASTROS OVER BELTRAN! :foul:

it's Liar

Goldenstick
01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Beltran's agent is the one that put the screws to Houston. I really think that Beltran would have told the Stros that he wasn't coming back, but I think his agent decided to see how much the
Astros were willing to pay and have the Mets make a counter-offer. The Astros really put the money out there this time but were fooled into think that Beltran would be back. Now the Stros have some work to do! Hope Carlos enjoys that big, empty, Shae Stadium. (One of the ugliest stadiums in baseball)

Astrosdawg07
01-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Well after all the dust has cleared the Astros may go out and trade for Alfonso Soriono of the Rangers. If you'll remember he was the 2nd bagger for the Yanks, but was traded to Texas for A-Rod. The kid can put up great numbers. He seemed to play great in MMP when Texas visited. But the only drawback to the trade would be dealing Backe and Burke, or if they don't trade Backe they would give up Eziquel who is a top pitching prospect.

football4life
01-11-2005, 10:24 PM
im not all that worked up into this issue, my main concern is the fact that the Yankees are stacking up higher and higher each day. yes the rangers will make the playoffs in '05, but what happens when we face off with the $210 million payroll. insane. :eek: :eek:

Astrosdawg07
01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't think the Rangers have to pitching to make the playoffs. LA should win that division w/ Boston or NYY winning the Wild Card leaving no place for Texas.

Keith7
01-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I don't think the Rangers have to pitching to make the playoffs. LA should win that division w/ Boston or NYY winning the Wild Card leaving no place for Texas.

how do the dodgers expect to win a american league division??

Astrosdawg07
01-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
how do the dodgers expect to win a american league division??

I guess you missed it the Angels changes their name to the Los Angles Anges of Anaheim. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-angelsnamechange&prov=ap&type=lgns