PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 College Teams, Early Edition

big daddy russ
01-07-2005, 06:36 PM
These are the teams I voted on with a brief explanation of why in parentheses. Feel free to post your own top 25, top 10, top five or make comments on mine. It's open season, boys.

1. USC (I tend to rank teams based on who's actually the best, not that old formula of "they're first until someone knocks them off"... I guess you could apply both here)
2. Texas (It's Young's team now. He'll have to make it through an early test against Ohio State and tough games at College Station, against Texas Tech and at the Red River Shootout to live up to my expectations. I have faith.)
3. Michigan (Henne and Hart begin year two. Everything looks just as rosy as it did this year.)
4. Tennessee (They're young and they won their division this year. Their biggest challenge will again come from the West, but I have a feeling it won't be Auburn.)
5. LSU (Their biggest knock? Playing in Auburn.)
6. Florida State (Washington and Booker are back in the backfield... and both could very well go over 1,000 yards. Couple that with stability under center and the return of two amazing DB's and two amazing LB's to anchor the defense and you're looking at the 2005 ACC Champs.)
7. Iowa (Yes, that's right. I have them beating Ohio State next year... Taters finished the season strong. Can they ride it into next year... and will Drew get any help from the backfield?)
8. Texas A&M (They lost against Baylor. Who cares? They return 18 studs.)
9. Miami (They lost their top back and top receiver to the draft, and their best defensive player graduates. But they're Miami. They just reload.)
10. Auburn (Think losing Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams will be too heavy a toll? They've got a surprise... Also return all their receivers and most of the front seven on defense.)
11. Ohio State (Ted Ginn and Troy Smith... Write that down)
12. Oklahoma (They have Peterson but lose a lot along the trenches and under center... and who will replace Antonio Perkins?)
13. Virginia Tech (Diminuitive Mike Imoh returns for one final season, but the real noise on offense will be on the outside where Tech will boast quite possibly the best duo of receivers in the nation. Will Marcus Vick return to lead the Hokies or will his problems catch up to him? If he's back, you can move this team ahead of Iowa. If not, getting through Florida State, Miami and Maryland will be especially tough.)
14. Georgia (I can't say I'm as high on Georgia as most folks, but you can't argue with the talent that coach Richt has to work with.)
15. Colorado (Now that things have settled down in Boulder Barnett plans on filling the power void in the Big XII North)
16. Minnesota (Maroney's here, will Barber be back?)
17. Florida (The talent's there, it's up to Meyer to harness that talent)
18. TCU (Think 3A all-star team. The offense will be led -if he's not injured- by former LaGrange standout Tye Gunn while the defense is headed by former Aransas Pass all-stater and Freshman All-American Tommy Blake)
19. Pitt (Led by Palko, the entire backfield returns... but the O-Line loses almost everyone. My tentative Big East favorite)
20. Fresno State (Bryson Sumlin already has one 1,000-yard season under his belt, so he'll be the starter headed into his senior season, right? Remember the name Dwayne Wright.... All the LB's and DB's return along with
21. Maryland (Had a disappointing 2004, but will return three All-American along with starting QB and TB. One huge question... will Josh Allen ever live up to his enormous potential.)
22. Virginia (Wali Lundy's back to lead the offense, but will Darryl Blackstock and/or Ahmad Brooks leave the Cavs hurting for linebackers or will they decide to remain on campus another year?)
23. Arizona (Yes, Arizona. Not Arizona State or even Northern Arizona. This is the 3-8 Wildcats. Think year two for Franchione and A&M, but in a weaker conference... Stoops had this team in every game except for Cal and USC and pulled off a win against then-no. 20 Arizona State to close out the season. Also had then-unbeaten Wisconsin on the ropes early in the season. My personal sleeper pick.)
24. Louisville (Could a sophomore QB losing a star RB... and possibly a star head coach... win the Big East title? Don't bet against him.)
25. Alabama (Will Brodie Croyle finally play a full season?)

OTHERS RECEIVING CONSIDERATION:
Notre Dame, Arizona State, Oregon State, Cal, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Utah (If Alex Smith is back put them in the top 10), North Carolina State, Michigan State

TEAMS TO WATCH:
Iowa... They match up well against Michigan (who's losing their two stud DB's) and Ohio State... and you can't say enough about the importance of a veteran, stud QB. Rose Bowl or bust.

Auburn... They lose a huge cog in Jason Campbell, but redshirt sophomore Brandon Cox has been waiting in the wings and Al Borges has proven he's a genius. Believe it or not, they're still loaded at tailback with Tre Smith. Smith actually started the last half of the 2002 season as a true freshman while Williams and Brown were injured and played awesome. More of an all-purpose back than Williams, Smith will be just one more weapon that Cox can throw to. Junior-to-be Will Herring steps in as the leader of a ravaged secondary, possibly moving from SS over to FS, along with classmate Montavis Pitts. But judging by Pitts' performance in the Sugar Bowl, the secondary has a long way to go... still, if they can get by LSU (who travels to Auburn) they could spoil Tennessee's coming out party.

Texas A&M... The only team that will beat them will be the Longhorns. Not the Sooners, not Oklahoma State, not Baylor. They return 18 from a team that beat Okie State and Texas Tech AND gave Oklahoma a run for their money. The extra year will give them more experience. The extra experience will give them more CONSISTENCY. Don't expect a close game against Colorado or an upset by Baylor next year.

Ohio State... They don't have as many returnees as A&M, but the ones who are coming back are key players.

lobo12
01-07-2005, 06:51 PM
no tech, im dissappointed

CHS_CG
01-07-2005, 06:53 PM
yeah but aggies are on there!:D

big daddy russ
01-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
no tech, im dissappointed Just saw too much in-conference competition. Not much on the non-conference plate, but games against Kansas and in Stillwater worry me, along with the three big dogs of the Big XII.

What do you think?

YBS
01-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Not a bad list...I do think Tech is going to surprise some people next year and I DON'T say that out of ANY bias.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-07-2005, 08:01 PM
i like your picks. i also like how oyu have it all layed out, very decisive and clear. good job

lobo12
01-08-2005, 01:00 AM
the only thing that always worries me about tech is that they are so inconsistent so they are a surprise every year

big daddy russ
01-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
the only thing that always worries me about tech is that they are so inconsistent so they are a surprise every year
Tech has the personnel to run Leach's wide open attack effectively, but most wide open attacks are inconsistent by nature. Take a look at Dan Marino's Dolphins back in the 80's and early- to mid-90's and Warren Moon's Run-and-Shoot Oilers. I think Tech does get better next year, but I actually give them two years (2006) before they become one of the top dogs of the Big XII. That's when Leach's first all-out recruiting class will be seniors (the first year he was there the recruits he picked up were primarily targets of the Dykes regime).

I would never write Tech off against any of the big boys. They've had wins against all three during the past few years, but winning against them AND the guys they're supposed to beat (they play Kansas, Nebraska and at OSU next year) has always been the biggest challenge.

But hell, I've been wrong before. They could very well surprise me this year.

big daddy russ
01-08-2005, 08:29 PM
By the way, if anyone thinks they have a better top 25 or even just a top 5, feel free to post it.

LH Panther Mom
01-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
By the way, if anyone thinks they have a better top 25 or even just a top 5, feel free to post it.

If I thought I could do a better job, I'd attempt it. You always have good points to back up your picks & don't let your homerism step in & override your judgement. Good job. :clap: :clap:

AP Panther Fan
01-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If I thought I could do a better job, I'd attempt it. You always have good points to back up your picks & don't let your homerism step in & override your judgement. Good job. :clap: :clap:

You know, I would feel safe betting money on anything Russ says. That's how much I trust his judgement.....oh wait, maybe I should go call a bookie NOW! :D

big daddy russ
01-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Just saw that ESPN's Pat Forde released his 2005 Top 25. It's actually been out since Wednesday, but he's got some good stuff out there. I completely forgot about Bowling Green. He does have Arizona State ranked a little high IMO, but he's a great college football writer.

Pat Forde's 2005 Top 25 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=1959749)

CHSBaseball07
01-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Big Daddy Russ I LIKE YOUR TOP 25.........

Old Tiger
01-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Will Florida be running the same style offence of Utah?

CRHSeagle
01-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Will Florida be running the same style offence of Utah?
I was wondering the same thing...

big daddy russ
01-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Will Florida be running the same style offence of Utah? They'll probably run an offense based off Mike Sanford's spread offense they ran over in Utah, but Urban Meyer prefers more of a bruiser in the backfield as compared to Sanford's speed guys. Ciatrick Fason is a nice mix of the two, but is probably better suited to run between the tackles at the college level. He's a shifty 6', 215 lbs and can scoot (he ran a sub-4.4 coming out of HS). Fason's just coming into his own as a pass catcher, but he was a late bloomer (even though he was a top recruit out of HS) and should be perfectly suited for Meyer's new offense.