PDA

View Full Version : Fan behavior lands Milford (1A) on UIL Probation

KTJ
01-07-2005, 03:26 PM
** As a basketball referee, I hate seeing stuff like this. The behavior and attitude of SOME fans, players, and coaches has become unbelievable. I have had about enough. :( But the funny thing is that it's the stories I've heard from other buddies, not anything bad in my games. I don't know what the deal is. I haven't had a "bad" game yet this year, but you have to admit, stuff like this is becoming far too common.

Fan misbehavior lands Class A Milford on UIL probation

08:54 PM CST on Thursday, January 6, 2005

By JEFF MILLER / The Dallas Morning News

MILFORD – Misbehavior by athletes and fans usually is associated with urban professional stadiums or major college athletics. It's now an issue at a Class A high school in the southwest corner of Ellis County where the gymnasium bleachers are all of five rows deep.

Photos by IRWIN THOMPSON/DMN
The school's gym seats only 300, and some fans in Milford - population 685 - have found it difficult to contain their emotions. An incident at a Milford boys basketball game in early December resulted in a player suspended for seven games, four fans barred from games and one cited for disorderly conduct. Because it was the third Milford basketball incident reported to the UIL in three years, the state executive committee also placed the school's athletic program on probation for two years. A misstep during the probation period will result in an unspecified penalty.

A handful of schools are on UIL probation. But only little Milford – enrollment around 60, which plays six-man football and might not be able to field a baseball team this spring – drew the penalty primarily because of its fans. According to the UIL, two of the three episodes involved spectator misdeeds during or after games.

UIL director Bill Farney said there is a growing concern across the country regarding behavior of fans, athletes and coaches at high school games.

"And we don't know why," Farney said. "Maybe the parents and the kids feel like, because there's behavior in other quarters [pro and college sports], they think this is an expected norm."

Just last week, the Wilmer-Hutchins boys basketball team forfeited a game at Crandall in the final minute when its coach said he feared violence could occur. The coach, Walter Yates Jr., was subsequently reassigned.

On Tuesday night, Milford played its first home game since the UIL's action of Dec. 10. Before the game, principal Marilee Byrne read the entire UIL code of fan conduct to the crowd. The code will be read before every Milford game – from varsity to junior high in every sport – during the probationary period. Milford will open District 14-A play tonight at home against Penelope.

"Hopefully, this will send a wake-up call to our community," said Milford superintendent Alan Oakley, who also plans to send a letter on sportsmanship to every home in the district. "This is not the bulk of our fans. The overwhelming majority come, attend, enjoy the game, encourage the kids, have fun with the refs or the umpires but are supportive."

The few, the loud
Indeed, both of the Milford fan incidents reported to the UIL involved the same small group of fans – all relatives of junior point guard Julius Love. That includes a Milford city council member (Sandra Yelldell, Love's mother) and a Milford ISD board member (Fadys Gates, an aunt). They and two other family members – Lawrence "Bobo" Matthews (an uncle) and Cassandra Gates (a cousin) – are prohibited from attending Milford basketball games the rest of the season.

None of them would discuss the incidents or the UIL action.

Milford's appearance before the state executive committee was prompted by what took place Dec. 4 in a tournament game at Blooming Grove. Those four fans were identified in Blooming Grove's UIL report as coming onto the court, which is prohibited by the UIL. Moments earlier, according to the report, Love tried to get at someone in the stands after fans heckled one of his teammates. Blooming Grove athletic director Ronnie Wilson wrote that a Navarro County deputy seated 15 feet from the altercation said it was unprovoked.

Last spring, members of the same family were involved in a fight after a playoff game against Zephyr at Iradale. Cody Davis, who was Milford's basketball coach the past three years before leaving for Avalon, said he admonished the family after last season's incident.

The president of Milford's school board, Carlos Phoenix, said he isn't concerned that a board member has been involved.

"Fadys has been a wonderful member of the board," said Phoenix, who is Milford's police chief.

The third episode cited by the UIL didn't involve fans, and Davis said he was justified in breaking a UIL rule by taking his team home only minutes into a road game in December 2002. He said a game official referred to his team, composed primarily of black players, as "monkeys."

"I wasn't going to stand for that," Davis said.

On their best behavior
With Milford's players now on notice as well as its fans, first-year coach Tom McVey said he has told them to be gentlemen. He also reminded them to let him handle any issues involving officials, opponents or spectators.

Oakley said Milford's refurbished gym can accommodate 300 people. Maybe 75 attended Tuesday's nondistrict game, a win over Fort Worth Masonic Home on a rainy night before school resumed from holiday break. The only physical interaction between team and fandom came when a Milford player fell into spectators while trying to save a loose ball.

Janice Wadley, mother of another Milford player, said the UIL's fan banishment was harsh, that a parent would naturally want to help a child if there was a perceived threat.

"But we'll come through probation just fine," she said.

Oakley said he's frustrated that the probation detracts from a school district that otherwise boasts a $300,000 facility renovation and the first significant enrollment increase in years.

"We've done so many good things, and I want to see that continue," he said.

PhiI C
01-08-2005, 08:55 PM
It is amazing KTJ but people are always on the refs and it seems to be worse in basketball. I sat by people from both sides the other night and both sides were mad at the refs. They forget that these people are human and have to make judgements and are doing their best.