PDA

View Full Version : Wild Card Weekend Preview

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2005, 01:53 AM
All 4 Wild Card games are a rematch of games played earlier during the regular season, and two of the games are between division rivals which means that they met twice during the regular season.

St. Louis @ Seattle(Sat. 3:30 ABC) St. Louis won both games against Seattle in the regular season. The first game in Week 5 was won in overtime 33-27. The Seahawks who were 3-0 at that point blew a 17 point lead at home and have never been the same team since that game. The second game was won by the Rams in St. Louis 23-12. Both running games should be solid so the game will be decided by 2 things
1. Mark Bulger has the recievers to make plays, but he has to play to his potential
2. Matt Hassleback can make plays but his recievers will have to show up and make some catches and not drop catchable balls

N.Y. Jets @ San Diego(Sat 7 ABC)A rematch of a Week 2 game that New York won 34-28 in San Diego. But the San Diego team is much improved and the Jets who started the season 5-0 ended had a record of 5-6 over the last 11 games of the season. No doubt in my mind that Curtis Martin will have a good game. And San Diego's offense will perform with Brees, Tomlinson, Gates and McCardell. IMO the game comes down to these two things
1.Can Pennington get his throws on target and be effecient in the red zone
2.Can San Diego's secondary play smart and cover without interfering or illegal contact penalties being called

Denver @ Indianapolis(Sun 12 CBS) This is a rematch of a week ago sort of. Denver won 33-14 but Indy was resting that high powered offense and Manning only took three snaps in the game. There is no doubt in my mind that the Colts offense will be effecient, the Denver defense will have to step it up big if they want to stop one of the greatest offenses in NFL history, how much of an effect will the fine on John Lynch for his helmet to helmet hit on Colts TE Dallas Clark last week have on the Denver secondary? Probably not much of an effect. The game will come down to this
1. Can Denver's offense produce long drives and keep the Colts offense off the field
2. Can Indy's defense keep from allowing Plummer to put up big numbers and points on the board

Minnesota @ Green Bay(Sun 3:30 FOX) The Packers won both regular season games by a score of 34-31 both times, with each game ending on last second field goals by Ryan Longwell. The Vikings who started the season 5-1 ended the season at 8-8 going 1-4 in the final 5 games. Green Bay on the other hand started the season 1-4 and ended the season at 10-6. Packs went 4-4 at home this year so people may say that Lambeau field has lost some of its mystique. Both teams have offenses that can score many points. In the end this game comes down to one thing
1. Who has the ball last

Theres my rundown of the games this weekend as always though any game is dependant on turnovers, special teams, mental toughness, and who is better coached
Here are my picks

Seattle
San Diego
Indianapolis
Green Bay