PDA

View Full Version : This makes me sick.....

AP Panther Fan
01-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Yates' murder conviction overturned
Texas court reverses 2003 ruling of woman who drowned her kids

(CNN) -- A Texas appeals court in Houston Thursday reversed the capital murder convictions of Andrea Yates, the woman who drowned her five children in a bathtub, citing the false testimony of a prosecution witness.

According to a report from The Associated Press, Yates' lawyers argued last month before a three-judge panel of the First Court of Appeals in Houston that psychiatrist Park Dietz was wrong when he said he consulted on an episode of the TV show "Law and Order" involving a woman found innocent by reason of insanity for drowning her children.

After Yates was convicted, attorneys in the case and jurors learned no such episode existed, the AP reported.

Jurors in 2002 sentenced Yates to life in prison in the 2001 deaths of three of her children. She was not tried in the deaths of the other two.

Yates told authorities that Satan told her to kill the children. Despite a documented history of mental illness, a jury rejected her plea of innocent by reason of insanity and convicted her of murder in 2002. She was sentenced to life in prison but will be eligible for parole in 40 years.

Bubba-Joe
01-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Will she be tried again?
Has she been released?

shellman54
01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
unbelievable. it makes my stomach turn to think about it.

Bullaholic
01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't think she will ever get completely "off"--- 5 kids= 5 murder counts. The attorneys apparently wanted another trial to re-attempt the insanity plea, which is possible this time. No way such a person is sane, especially with her past mental history and "Satan told me to do it" admission.

AP Panther Fan
01-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I don't think she will ever get completely "off"--- 5 kids= 5 murder counts. The attorneys apparently wanted another trial to re-attempt the insanity plea, which is possible this time. No way such a person is sane, especially with her past mental history and "Satan told me to do it" admission.

She may not be sane but I don't think she should ever see the light of day outside of a prison or mental institution.

I know.....people can be rehabilitated blah, blah, blah... but I still believe some crimes are inexcusable IMHO.

NSUTrumpet08
01-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Ugh...that is unbelieveable...insane or not, she murdered her 5 children...

pirate4state
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
She may not be sane but I don't think she should ever see the light of day outside of a prison or mental institution.

I know.....people can be rehabilitated blah, blah, blah... but I still believe some crimes are inexcusable IMHO. When someone is that :crazy: I don't think they can be rehabilitated. I was shocked and disgusted when I "heard" the news! :mad: Some expert! :rolleyes: Another press release I read did mention another trial and that she was only being charged with 3 counts of murder!!! What about the other 2 children she murdered??:flamingma :flamingma :crazy:

CHS_CG
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I think its a big crock of pooh! I think she needs to be drowned just like "satan" told her to drown her kids! I cant believe anybody that is soo unstable in the head would even have 5 kids to begin with.

AP Panther Fan
01-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I think its a big crock of pooh!

;) Me too!

kaorder1999
01-06-2005, 01:58 PM
she wont ever see light of day again in the free world. They are just delaying the inevitable. Believe me....she will be judged. And that judge doesn't allow for appeals!

AP Panther Fan
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Believe me....she will be judged. And that judge doesn't allow for appeals!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

too bad it won't be sooner rather than later!

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
she wont ever see light of day again in the free world. They are just delaying the inevitable. Believe me....she will be judged. And that judge doesn't allow for appeals! AMEN TO THAT ONE!!!

CheerMom
01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
My question is, where was the husband during all this? Was he blind to what was going on around him?

AP Panther Fan
01-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
My question is, where was the husband during all this? Was he blind to what was going on around him?

That's a very good question. Wish I could remember more from the original trial. It seems like everyone was feeling sorry for him, but you're right.....sure seems like there would have been some fairly strong signals coming from that woman beforehand that someone should have paid better attention to. :(

sahen
01-07-2005, 01:43 AM
killing someone and then pleaing insanity is crap to me....in order to kill someone u cant be mentally right, i dont think i have heard of one person taht murdered someone and was not considered mentally ill....insanity is a way for them to get away with their murder, they should not let people use that as an excuse for murder and go on and charge them, unless if the person has a true mental disorder like downsyndrome....though i dont ever remember a person with downsyndrome killing someone, however people that r supposed to be "normal" do....all the more reason to charge them with what they have done if u ask me....

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
That's a very good question. Wish I could remember more from the original trial. It seems like everyone was feeling sorry for him, but you're right.....sure seems like there would have been some fairly strong signals coming from that woman beforehand that someone should have paid better attention to. :(

He was around. From what I remember, he knew she was "depressed" and was still "suffering" from post-partem syndrome from the 4th child when she got pregnant with the 5th one.

I'm sorry, but if you're that darn "depressed" you have absolutely no business bearing children. She needs to find a "chair" to sit in for a bit.

Ranger Mom
01-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Heck...if I had 5 kids, I would be depressed too!!!

Oh wait.................I DO!!!:D :p

spiveyrat
01-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
He was around. From what I remember, he knew she was "depressed" and was still "suffering" from post-partem syndrome from the 4th child when she got pregnant with the 5th one.

I'm sorry, but if you're that darn "depressed" you have absolutely no business bearing children. She needs to find a "chair" to sit in for a bit.

If she was that depressed, I'm surprised she was able to "get into the mood" to conceive the 5th child! :eek:

That post-partem is some nasty stuff... and not just for the wives!

Stretch04
01-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Last time they only convicted her on three counts, this time, they need to convict on all five count and stick a needle in her arm(because that is the humane way to do it). But someone really needs to tie a brick to her neck and drop her in Lake Conroe.

CHS_CG
01-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Nah, bring her to Caldwell.. the Brazos river has had reports of gators in it!!! that would be a nice lil snack.

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2005, 02:38 PM
See how much more creative we are than the current judicial system!:D

CheerMom
01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't understand why she was charged with only 3 of the murders.
Personally, I believe our justice system fails in many ways.
A person can sexually abuse a child and get out in hardly any time and be back doing the same thing, and a person who writes a hot check will rot in prison. This whole system is just so screwed up it isn't even funny. I think they should just go back to hanging people on the spot.

CHS_CG
01-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
I don't understand why she was charged with only 3 of the murders.
Personally, I believe our justice system fails in many ways.
A person can sexually abuse a child and get out in hardly any time and be back doing the same thing, and a person who writes a hot check will rot in prison. This whole system is just so screwed up it isn't even funny. I think they should just go back to hanging people on the spot.

I would be kinda scared to watch somebody die by hanging. But I do think it would be better.. Shoot we have homeless people or people in bad shape that havent ever done anything crime wise and we have rapist who are getting free meals free room, they can work out.. and even gettin and education in jail.. WHAT IS THAT! I think its bs!