PDA

View Full Version : And I thought my losing 30 lbs. was good...

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
South Dakota Man Loses 450 Pounds

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - His recovery was slowed because of an infection, but a man who once weighed half a ton may soon leave a hospital after losing more than 450 pounds.

Patrick Deuel, 42, is scheduled to go home to Valentine, Neb., on Jan. 22. He is still receiving treatment at a Sioux Falls hospital for a staph infection he got in November.

Deuel said he isn't worried about returning to a former lifestyle of overeating. He will have health aides at home and a doctor will check on him regularly.

"I've learned a lot while I've been here," he told reporters Tuesday. "I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, and I think things will be fine."

Deuel weighed 1,072 pounds when he checked into Avera McKennan Hospital in June. At the time, he was dying of heart failure. His doctor recommended gastric-bypass surgery but Deuel wasn't healthy enough to undergo the procedure.

The hospital staff structured an exercise program and a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet. The 420 pounds Deuel lost by late October helped control his heart problems and other health issues, including diabetes, and the stomach surgery was performed Oct. 26.

Deuel, who relies on Medicare to pay his hospital bills, can't stay at the hospital indefinitely.

He now weighs about 650 pounds and hopes eventually to slim down to 240 pounds.

A tube that provides extra protein actually has slowed his weight loss. He has lost just 41 pounds since the gastric-bypass surgery.

"He's making progress," rehabilitation doctor Steven Guse said. "He's walking household distances and getting more independent. But he's still got a big challenge ahead of him."

Deuel tried many diets during his youth and early adult life, but the pounds were slow to melt off. He'd get discouraged, take comfort in old routines and return to overeating.

By the mid-1990s, he stopped leaving his house and ended up housebound for seven years. For several months last year, he couldn't leave his bed and depended on his wife, Edith, to clean and care for him.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050105/capt.sdsio20101051918.half_ton_man_sdsio201.jpg

AP Panther Fan
01-05-2005, 02:52 PM
eeeewwww the article didn't bother me....but the picture did.:eek:

It is scary!:eek: :eek:

pirate44
01-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
eeeewwww the article didn't bother me....but the picture did.:eek:

It is scary!:eek: :eek:
tell me 'bout it. i got a bad case of the horse shakes when i saw it!:eek:

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-05-2005, 03:10 PM
that ia big freakin guy!!!!

AP Panther Fan
01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I wasn't sure if it was him or his wife.......arrrggghhh!:eek:

pirate44
01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
I wasn't sure if it was him or his wife.......arrrggghhh!:eek:
i can see what you mean. thats allot of cleavage.

setex
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
How much food would a person have to consume on a daily
basis to sustain that girth?

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 03:23 PM
id have to say a 3rd grader a day

setex
01-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
LOL

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
heck...he's already lost too good sized NFL running backs

AP Panther Fan
01-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Ha ha....that reminds me of Fat Bast**d in the Austin Powers movie.

The other, other white meat. :D

LH Panther Mom
01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
South Dakota Man Loses 450 Pounds

For several months last year, he couldn't leave his bed and depended on his wife, Edith, to clean and care for him.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050105/capt.sdsio20101051918.half_ton_man_sdsio201.jpg

Imagine how Edith felt having to clean him! :eek: :eek:

AP Panther Fan
01-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Imagine how Edith felt having to clean him! :eek: :eek:

Musta been a two day job! :D

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-05-2005, 04:32 PM
she was a stay at home house wife...while he was a stay docked in the bed husband...

AP Panther Fan
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
she was a stay at home house wife...while he was a stay docked in the bed husband...

hehe...how about she is a housewife and well... he is just as big as the house :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
heck...he's already lost too good sized NFL running backs

so thats where ricky williams disappeared to. . .

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Ex-Half Ton Man Relaxes, Watches Football

By ERIC OLSON
The day after returning home from his long hospitalization to battle morbid obesity, Patrick Deuel was doing what millions of other men around the nation were doing Sunday.

``I'm watching the Steelers,'' Deuel said from his Valentine home. ``I'm hoping (Ben) Roethlisberger will come through and beat New England.''

Sunday was a day for rest and relaxation for Deuel, who once weighed 1,072 pounds, and his wife, Edith. The hard work resumes Monday.

There's one caveat. Deuel no longer is battling his obesity in the confinement of Avera McKennan Hospital in Sioux Falls, S.D.

He said he left the hospital about noon Saturday and was home by about 6:30 that evening.

When he was admitted to the hospital June 4, doctors said he was on the verge of death. Deuel, who had gastric bypass surgery Oct. 26, now weighs 610 pounds and is looking forward to his new life.

``Things are going pretty well,'' Deuel said. ``After seven-and-a-half months of being gone, it's absolutely marvelous to be home.''

As he promised at a Friday news conference in Sioux Falls, the first thing Deuel did when he got home was take a nap.

``Then I got up, and I've been spending some quality time with my wife on her day off, doing my leg exercises, a little bit of therapy, and watching football,'' he said.

A few family members and a clergyman have visited Deuel, but otherwise it has been quiet around the Deuel household. He said he expects a steady stream of visitors this week.

Deuel said he'll spend Monday meeting with a doctor at his home and set up visits with home health care people and physical therapists.

He said his wife has stocked the kitchen with foods for his protein-heavy diet. He said he is going through a trial-and-error period trying to figure out what he can digest most easily.

``I've found that I feel much better throughout the day if I have a can of tomato soup and a piece of cheese for breakfast,'' he said.

When he entered the hospital, heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure and other problems caused by severe obesity threatened to kill him. He had trouble breathing and was malnourished because so many of his calories came from foods high in fat and carbohydrates.

He had been housebound for seven years and bedridden for months.

Deuel now gets around with the help of two walkers. He said he has to be careful not to trip over cords attached to a vacuum machine that drains fluid from staph infections in his chest and abdomen. The infections are a result of the surgery.

Deuel said he hopes to return to work someday. Before becoming bedridden, he was a restaurant manager.

He said he could have to the chance to earn some income as a motivational speaker. He also said a representative of the Discovery Health Channel wants to discuss the possibility of a documentary on his battle with obesity.

01/24/05 20:22

pirate44
01-27-2005, 10:51 AM
i bet when the game starts, his first words "Hey, pass the hot wings!!"

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought it was kinda ironic that he was a restaurant manager before all of this!:)

pirate44
01-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I thought it was kinda ironic that he was a restaurant manager before all of this!:)
he took the saying "never trust a skinny chef" a little too serious.

44INAROW
01-27-2005, 11:15 AM
I'd like to see an "after" picture