PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 South...2005???

vet93
01-05-2005, 10:49 AM
I think that next year is going to be a great year for football in the big 12. UT will reload and be good with Vince. OU has Pederson and is always good. Tech played alot of youngsters and there young qb's are supposed to be the "real deal". A&M showed improvement and if they improve next year and keep their heads on straigtht they could be good. OSU...may be down, but Gundy was a good hire for continuity of the program. Baylor showed that they have improved and may win a few more games this year. This could be the year where OU is toppled from the top. The south champion will also likely not be undefeated due to the stiff competition. What are your thoughts?

Hupernikomen
01-05-2005, 10:55 AM
OU is losing just about everything but Peterson...with the way that USC handled this years OU bunch I would think next year's group has a lot of work to do.

District303aPastPlayer
01-05-2005, 12:22 PM
they do have the #1 recruit from about 2 years ago... Grand Prairies own Rhett Bomar at the QB position. :)

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
they do have the #1 recruit from about 2 years ago... Grand Prairies own Rhett Bomar at the QB position. :)

Bomar was in High School last year. Was in Peterson's recruiting Class... I saw him play in the THSCA all-star game this past spring. He'll be a red-shirt freshmen next year! Hes going to be a good one!

District303aPastPlayer
01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
then why was he in uniform a couple of weeks back :confused:

im confizzled my nizzle

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 12:44 PM
he was in uniform im sure but was red-shirted this year. They'll still suit up red-shirts, especially quarterbacks for emergency purposes!

Keith7
01-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
he was in uniform im sure but was red-shirted this year. They'll still suit up red-shirts, especially quarterbacks for emergency purposes!

I remember when they put up 77 on Texas M&A they brought in a QB named Paul Thompson, who was a fast guy, but the announcers were saying he was the next QB of the sooners, what ever happened to that dude??

texasjeremy
01-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, last years recruting class OU got the top 2 players in the nation: #1 Peterson and #2 Bomar.

raider red 2000
01-05-2005, 02:06 PM
the big 12 south will be tough again. tech might have some QB controversey early though. i have heard that the juco kid, robert johnson, from reedley (ca) is an awsome athlete and good QB. reedley ran the spread. on the other hand tech also has graham harrell (sp) from ennis who was red-shirted. it seems like he is coming along faster than expected....coach's kid.

i just hope that they start using some of their speed on defense someday. the D was much better this year than in years past. if the O can keep clicking and the D can catch up then Tech might be able to compete with OU and UT someday.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
if the O can keep clicking and the D can catch up then Tech might be able to compete with OU and UT someday. i definately agree w/ you, especially after the Red Raiders bowl performance against Cal. i think they will be in the top 3 in the big 12 overall w/ 3 years and maybe even the next 2. i have a buddy over here who follows ou as much as i follow any texas team, he has told me that he has some inside guy who works directly w/ the ou team and their qb next year, barring a miracle, will be mediocre at best. so if his story holds true, i think peterson will have to carry ou to any success they might have. im also making the prediction that next year UT will beat ou 13-12. but i also think that A&M will beat UT by two touchdowns. i also think there will be a few peoples names in the big 12 on the heisman list, in no order: young, mcneil, peterson.

lobo12
01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
what classification will graham harrell be next year? sophomore??

raider red 2000
01-05-2005, 03:37 PM
red shirt freshman

big daddy russ
01-06-2005, 02:08 AM
A&M gets back 19 of their starters unless anyone applies for the draft (which doesn't look like it's happening). I voted them top 10 in my early poll for next year, one spot ahead of OU. I ranked UT second behind USC. OSU will feel the sting from Miles' departure, but should be OK nonetheless. Gundy isn't a Bill Callahan... he won't tear an already-established program apart, but it's not going to improve enough to crack the top three.

1. UT
1. TAMU
1. OU
4. Tech
5. OSU
6. Baylor

I think UT, TAMU and OU each go 1-1 against each other. OU will handle the Horns but lose to A&M and the Aggies will fall to Texas. Still, I think UT takes home the hardware and goes to the Fiesta Bowl. Tech is almost good enough that I want to say they'll rain on either UT, OU or TAMU's parade, but TAMU will just be incredibly tough next year and OU's tradition will get in the way of that. They do match up well with UT, but the 'Horns are just so loaded that I can't see an upset there. Of the bottom three, OSU matches up with the Sooners the best and (believe it or not!!!!) Baylor has the best chance at knocking off the Aggies. They get Shawn Bell back under center (he'll be a third-year letterman as a junior), Kenny Webb back as the kicker and they've already picked up a stud JC offensive lineman.

Black_Magic
01-06-2005, 05:37 PM
1st - Texas
2nd - Texas Tech
3rd - OU ( AKA university on Texas at Norman )
4th - Texas A&M

CRHSeagle
01-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I still dont think Texas has what it takes to beat OU, especially with Peterson coming back, after that I think its a toss up with better aTm team and UT. OSU's Morency is a stud andthat should be enuff to defeat Tech who still needs a defense, after that I think Baylor will wrap up the south.

punt
01-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Morency has declared for the NFL draft. Gundy is getting some very good coaches lined up. DeForest is staying and he is the Texas recruiter. Bobby Reid should come on strong and probably end up being the starting qb. Miles leaving hopefully won't hurt that much. Waiting to see if any kids transfer. OSU probably will be a year away from beating ou and UT but should give the others a good run. The spot Morency is leaving open should entice some good hs and juco kids.

KTJ
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Okie U loses, what is it, 17 starters including Jason White??? Something like that. Stoops never played any other QB in that span so who's gonna step up for Okie?

1. Texas
2. Texas Tech
3. OU
4. Texas A&M
5. Okie State
6. Baylor

**Kansas will win the North. Mark it down. :D

Bellville22
01-06-2005, 06:33 PM
UT beats OU (yea, you heard me), OU beats A&M in Norman, A&M beats UT at Kyle Field. Just a thought, one I thing BDR already had.

Tech loses to the three of them, as does OSU. Gonna be a very tight race at the top.

AggieJohn
01-06-2005, 08:57 PM
OU
A&M
T.u.
Tech
OSU
Baylor

OU has rhett bomar coming in, peterson is still there, and even though they loose white, clayton, and 40 million other players, i have a feeling that Stoops will be doing some amazing recruiting in the next few weeks

A&M has the same team coming back, 3 biggest losses are G Geoff Hangartner and WR Terrance Murphy, and corner Jonte Buhl...they will be a good football team, i think they will bulk up over the offseason even more, look for reggie to appear in New York at the end of the season

Texas will be good again, big suprise, however, my bias aggie views just doesn't see them being as good as they were this yeawr, main factors are 1) benson going pro 2) VY is just not as solid as a quarterback as reggie or the rest of the field, the thing that makes Texas a threat is their O-line and D-line coming back and being consistent...oh and texas plays a good Ohio State at the first of the year

Tech-dumb techtards, classless clowns, whatever you want to call them, their pass first, pass second, pass third, and pass fourth philosophy still gives some opposing d-cordinators sleepless nights...look for them to be good, but not great...the way we expect tech to be...and no tech, you can't be a&m's rival....:)

OSU-while not as informed on this team, the loss of miles is going to hurt, however, they do have bobby reid coming in as QB from north shore, which could be a very interesting team...i just don't forsee the pokes being that much of a problem for the big 12

Baylor, although bell is a good, baylor returns back to the days that it is so used too, the cellar dwellar days. Look for baylor to fumble through the season, suprise one team (i.e. colorado, Texas A&M, texas) somewhere through the season....baylor will be good one day, but not in 2005

Astrosdawg07
01-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
2) VY is just not as solid as a quarterback as reggie
:eek: Ok, and remind me of what happened this year??:confused: GIVE 'EM HELL, GIVE 'EM HELL, GO HORNS GO!!!! aTm? ya maybee '06

Leopards,class of 75
01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Texas, O.U., Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Osu, Baylor last as usual.

raider red 2000
01-07-2005, 08:45 AM
OU
A&M
T.u.
Tech
OSU
Baylor

Tech-dumb techtards, classless clowns, whatever you want to call them, their pass first, pass second, pass third, and pass fourth philosophy still gives some opposing d-cordinators sleepless nights...look for them to be good, but not great...the way we expect tech to be...and no tech, you can't be a&m's rival....:)

considering rivals....maybe you might want baylor....your rival UT has yalls number.....in the past 10 yrs who has won more in our series?

jason
01-07-2005, 08:59 AM
considering rivals....maybe you might want baylor....your rival UT has yalls number.....in the past 10 yrs who has won more in our series? forgive him, he thinks a&m reigns almighty in texas....a&m should concentrate on beating baylor before they worry about beating the big dogs of the big 12...

KTJ
01-07-2005, 03:31 PM
hey raider red--

Has Leach been rumored to any other jobs? I know I've heard of a few but those have been filled already.

Tech gets both OU and A&M in Lubbock next year. I'm already marking those down as wins for Tech.

raider red 2000
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
i have not heard anything recent....although there is alot of people that cant stand his style of O. i personally like is schemes. he is a genius. not a very personable and after spike dykes people in lubbock wanted another likeable guy. a buddy of mine was going nuts during the bowl game when tech was passing with 4 min left. it would be awsome for tech to win those games. i cant rmember the last time that the aggies won in lubbock. :) i am sure that someone will help me out though.

big daddy russ
01-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
...Tech gets both OU and A&M in Lubbock next year. I'm already marking those down as wins for Tech. You think? Considering that A&M returns pretty much the same team that beat Tech this year I figured the Aggies should take that one, although the hometown crowd will be tough.

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2005, 04:39 PM

AggieJohn, you give Aggies everywhere a bad name, and represent the definition of classless clown.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
AggieJohn, you give Aggies everywhere a bad name, and represent the definition of classless clown. well put LHPM!!:clap:

JasperDog94
01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
AggieJohn, you give Aggies everywhere a bad name, and represent the definition of classless clown. :eek: :eek: :doh:

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2005, 04:45 PM
i have not heard anything recent....although there is alot of people that cant stand his style of O. i personally like is schemes. he is a genius. not a very personable and after spike dykes people in lubbock wanted another likeable guy. a buddy of mine was going nuts during the bowl game when tech was passing with 4 min left. it would be awsome for tech to win those games. i cant rmember the last time that the aggies won in lubbock. :) i am sure that someone will help me out though.

Yes....the people in Lubbock wanted another likeable guy, such as Spike was. (Personally, I'm still ticked about the way that whole ordeal was handled. :mad: ) Unfortunately for the fans, the "powers that be" weren't interested in those qualities. :rolleyes:

Leach has done good things for the program, I will hand it to him. But I still say he looks lost throughout every single game, regardless of the outcome.

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:eek: :eek: :doh:

Sorry....I don't usually get riled. :)

KTJ
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You think? Considering that A&M returns pretty much the same team that beat Tech this year I figured the Aggies should take that one, although the hometown crowd will be tough.

Russ, I keep thinking about it and I don't know about A&M in Lubbock. You should have seen my face when we won this past year at Tech. I was shocked because everyone was marking that down as a loss; not because we were playing Tech, but because we were playing at Lubbock.

Then again, you never know.

Did you see the article in the DMN questioning OU next year? Kinda funny...

JasperDog94
01-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Sorry....I don't usually get riled. :) Yeah, but he was pretty "over the top" with some of those comments. But it's what we've come to expect from his brainwashing.:p

big daddy russ
01-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
...Did you see the article in the DMN questioning OU next year? Kinda funny... Didn't catch that one. Do you have a link?

KTJ
01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Sooners have more questions than answers

11:39 AM CST on Friday, January 7, 2005

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

An embarrassing meltdown in the national championship game coupled with the loss of key veterans will give prognosticators reasons to downgrade Oklahoma's stock in 2005.

Playing in the Cotton or Holiday Bowl is not OK in Oklahoma, though.

Louis DeLuca / DMN
Bob Stoops' Sooners will have a question mark at quarterback next season. OU fans expect to get back to the Bowl Championship Series and, hopefully, the national championship game a third straight season. That seems unlikely unless OU answers some major questions this spring at some of the biggest positions.

"This has been built the correct way, and we've got a great nucleus and great number of young players," OU coach Bob Stoops said. "We've got consistency in our staff. So, I don't know why we wouldn't. I would hope and believe we would."

Quarterback will be the biggest question this spring. Sixth-year senior Jason White won the 2003 Heisman Trophy and finished his career with 7,922 yards and 81 touchdowns, both school records. Now, White turns the reigns over to three players with limited experience, if any at all.

Junior Paul Thompson redshirted this season so he would have two years of eligibility remaining. He played in 10 games in 2003 and completed 19 of 27 passes. Redshirt freshman Tommy Grady played in only mop-up duty this season. Freshman Rhett Bomar, the most heralded recruit of the three, redshirted this season as well.

Whoever wins the starting job, will be aided by the running game, which averaged 208.4 yards per game this season. Adrian Peterson, Kejuan Jones and J.D. Runnels all return.

"You know what I'm going to do?" offensive coordinator Chuck Long said. "This spring, I'll roll the football out there and let 'em have at it."

The offensive line will not be as strong without Outland Trophy winner Jammal Brown, Vince Carter and Wes Sims. But three others return, including guard Davin Joseph. He is expected to slide out to tackle while Kelvin Chaisson and Chris Bush handle the guard spots.

On defense, the secondary is the biggest concern. Gone are cornerback Antonio Perkins and safety Donte Nicholson, two key cogs the last two years.

OU's depth at corner is a mere puddle. Freshman Marcus Walker did not play a full season at right cornerback. Junior Chijioke Onyenegecha disappeared in the second half of the season. Junior Eric Bassey was benched.

At safety, Brodney Pool's interception total plummeted this year. His backup, Tony Cade, did not attend the Orange Bowl for disciplinary reasons.

Also, OU must find a dependable pass-rushing defensive end to replace Dan Cody, who had 23 career sacks. Fellow defensive end Jonathan Jackson (21 career sacks) is also departing.

The defensive line should get a boost from Dusty Dvoracek's return, assuming the Lake Dallas graduate is reinstated this spring as expected. Dvoracek, a senior, received a medical hardship waiver for an extra year of eligibility in December. He was dismissed from the team in September after a series of violent altercations where alcohol was involved.

Stoops said Wednesday he would evaluate Dvoracek's situation soon.

Offensive line coach Kevin Wilson said the coaching staff believes it has established a strong recruiting base. So finding more players and plugging them in shouldn't be a problem. That's the mark of a strong program. Stoops says he believes OU is just that – a program that reloads instead of rebuilds.

"That's why you have great focus on recruiting," senior defensive tackle Lynn McGruder said. "You can lose however many players you want, you should be able to get back up and get going again. I believe in this program that it will be back again.

"I don't see any slacking off anytime soon."

big daddy russ
01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
KTJ-- Interesting article. I don't know, I still can't slide OU out of the top 10 no matter what personnel they lose. To me they're like a Miami, a Florida State, a Texas or a Michigan... they're always in the hunt.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
KTJ-- Interesting article. I don't know, I still can't slide OU out of the top 10 no matter what personnel they lose. To me they're like a Miami, a Florida State, a Texas or a Michigan... they're always in the hunt. they will still be in the hunt, unfortunately, but i dont see them doing too much damage next year until late in the season if at all. im not saying this out of spite or hatred towards ou, im saying it from a non-biased point of view. if you will remember i had them picked to win the red river shoot out this year, unfortunately. but you cant win them all every year. since they lost a major cog in the mechanics of their team, they wont be the biggest threat out of the big XII south next year.

YBS
01-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't mind stepping out against the grain...there've been somethings done by Aggies and Raiders over the past 5 years or so that have not represented EITHER school well in the name of football...in AggieJohn's defense. He didn't have to type what he typed and that was wrong...anyway...
I think A&M is the overall wild card in the whole thing b/c we're very inconsistent...and that's consistent :confused: I say either A&M will win 9 games or win 6 games during the regular season...another blow up or bust season.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by YBS
I don't mind stepping out against the grain...there've been somethings done by Aggies and Raiders over the past 5 years or so that have not represented EITHER school well in the name of football...in AggieJohn's defense. He didn't have to type what he typed and that was wrong...anyway...
I think A&M is the overall wild card in the whole thing b/c we're very inconsistent...and that's consistent :confused: I say either A&M will win 9 games or win 6 games during the regular season...another blow up or bust season. we all know aggie john was just talking out of his rear end. every crowd had someone who says or does things at times that just make you step back and say "what was going through your mind when you said that?!?!" but aggie john has also posted alot of good post during his tenure here, so hopefully he will build on that and not dragging other schools down.

gtownpoke
01-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Grady has said if he doesnt get the job he will probably transfer, and Paul Thompson has said quarterback is the only position he is willing to play and is determined to win the starting job.

As for OSU the DC has left (THANK GOD) and we are picking up great coachs from all over. Unlike Miles, Gundy wont be so conservative with the play calling and will utilize the athletes we have better. Bobby Reid fits the offensive scheme Gundy has perfectly which allows us to put Donovan at receiver and/or corner/safety. I think it will be a very good year for OSU because we have the athletes and now we are getting coachs that wont play prevent the whole game and wont be so conservative on offense

punt
01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
gtownpoke, I think OSU will be in the mix of things next year with Gundy in charge. So glad Clay is gone. We have the athletes to move ahead. Would be great to have the Woods brothers at receiver positions. Donovan is such an athlete that he could play defensive back also. We all know ou always has a stable full to replace anyone that leaves. Unless UT figures out how to play defense they won't beat ou, unfortunately.

AggieJohn
01-08-2005, 05:19 PM
considering rivals....maybe you might want baylor....your rival UT has yalls number.....in the past 10 yrs who has won more in our series?

maybe texas should consider that too...being that they've lost six times in the period since we last lost to them....

AggieJohn
01-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
hey raider red--

Has Leach been rumored to any other jobs? I know I've heard of a few but those have been filled already.

Tech gets both OU and A&M in Lubbock next year. I'm already marking those down as wins for Tech.

with what qb, we have reggie, ou has bomar, who in the heck does tech have?

AggieJohn
01-08-2005, 05:36 PM
A Small Note from the Desk of AggieJohn:

*****let's all remember that this is a board, and that we are allowed to post our own opinions on this board, whether or not you get ruffled by my comments or not is your call, i don't have any personal vendettas(sp?) against anyone, or against the actual academic abilities of anyones school, when i call a school a name (i.e. "t-sip", "techtards") i'm doing it in FUN towards your athletic program. Not to a person specifically, but to your school's athletic program. Remember, just because the world that we live in has because super sensative to name calling, doesn't mean we have to let our board, and our sports be affected by that too. remember i'm a 21 year old college student just having fun, and trying to get in jab or two occasionally. I try to swallow jabs made towards my school all the time, you should try to take em for yours******

if you really have any personal problems or offense to my posting, PM me and i would love to talk to you about it..

oh and FYI...my post about the big 12 south were just observations...i don't understand how that could really ruffle people

Holmes_Fans
01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
with what qb, we have reggie, ou has bomar, who in the heck does tech have?
Apparantly a better one then you have. Look who one a bowl game for their team.

AggieJohn
01-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
Apparantly a better one then you have. Look who one a bowl game for their team.

nice one, only i was talking about next year

Jody
01-10-2005, 07:22 AM
UT and OU goes down to A&M next year. Tech may upset two of these three.

AggieJohn
01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Jody
UT and OU goes down to A&M next year. Tech may upset two of these three.
that's good bull