PDA

View Full Version : Hutch-Crandall Update: Wilmer Hutchins basketball coach fired

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Wilmer-Hutchins coach says he pulled team to avert riot

11:38 PM CST on Tuesday, January 4, 2005

By JIM BARNES / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

An area high school coach says he pulled his team out of a game because he feared violence, but the decision cost him his job.

Wilmer-Hutchins reassigned Walter Yates Jr. to its middle school this week and named assistant Andy Curtis its boys basketball coach, athletic director Mike Robinson confirmed Tuesday.

Robinson would not comment on Wilmer-Hutchins' forfeit of its game Friday at Crandall, nor on the reason for Yates' reassignment.

"We thought it was in the best interest of our district and our boys basketball program to make a coaching change," Robinson said.

But Yates said Robinson and other school officials told him he was removed as coach because he pulled his team off the floor with 56 seconds left in the nondistrict game and the teams tied at 34. The outcome was recorded as a 2-0 win for Crandall.

Yates, who was in his first season at Wilmer-Hutchins, said Tuesday he believed the game had gotten out of control and people in the stands were becoming hostile. Wilmer-Hutchins had been called for three technical fouls.

"I was basically trying to keep a riot from happening," Yates said. He added, "I was punished for taking my team out of harm's way."

But Crandall coach Brant Bennett said he didn't think there was danger of a fight. He said Crandall had come from behind to tie the game, and a Wilmer-Hutchins player was called for an offensive foul. That triggered Wilmer-Hutchins' technicals and Yates' decision to walk off, Bennett said.

Yates became Wilmer-Hutchins' coach in August after spending one season as an assistant at Prairie View A&M. His only other head coaching experience came in 2002-03, when he led Houston Waltrip to a 20-12 record. Wilmer-Hutchins (10-10) beat Waco La Vega, 56-43, on Monday with Curtis as coach.

3afan
01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
as the article says he was reassigned, not fired .....

KTJ
01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
There has to be more to this story than what the article is saying.

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
the way i look at it....he lost his job as the head basketball coach and I call that fired. He was reassigned to the middle school yes but I still consider losing your job as being fired! HEHE

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
you can talk to any coach and they'll tell you that leaving and not finishing a game is a HUGE no no!

pirate44
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
he quit the game for fear of a riot breaking out? seems to me that quitting with 56 seconds tied 34-34, your just asking for a riot to break out.

3afan
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
great point .....

3afan
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
the way i look at it....he lost his job as the head basketball coach and I call that fired. He was reassigned to the middle school yes but I still consider losing your job as being fired! HEHE

blah ;)

Holmes_Fans
01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Coach Curtis was the JV basketball coach at Forney last year.

kaorder1999
01-05-2005, 09:10 PM
he left forney to go to wilmer hutchins because?

Holmes_Fans
01-05-2005, 09:14 PM
The basketball team might actually be good.