PDA

View Full Version : Who is Glen Barber and why can't he get along with Bob Purser at Greenwood??????

Bubba-Joe
01-05-2005, 09:21 AM
By Oscar LeRoy

Sports Writer

After 18 years at Greenwood, Bob Purser decided it was time for a change.

The athletic director and head football coach has turned in his resignation, effective at the end of the school year, although the 54-year old Purser has not ruled out retirement.

"I'm not sure I'm ready to retire," Purser said on Tuesday. "There's nothing that I enjoy more than Friday nights. Coaching has been a part of me for 32 years, all my life really."

If he wanted to, Purser could retire but is keeping his options open for the future. His wife Patti, who is a teacher in the Greenwood Independent School District, could also retire at the end of the school year.

Purser said the move to turn in his resignation right now is not only good for Greenwood but for him as well.

"I think when you do the same thing over and over again, there comes a time to make a change," Purser said. "(The stress of coaching) does catch up with you and you just want to look for a breath of fresh air."

Greenwood ISD superintendent Glenn Barber said the school board will begin developing a job description during Monday's regular school board meeting. From there, Barber said the board will begin taking applications, hold a screening process and hopefully have a replacement named by March.

"It's going to be a huge void, losing Coach Purser after all these years," Barber said. "He handled our athletic program with much success. The person who takes his place will have huge shoes to fill."

During his time at Greenwood, Purser was 124-73-2 overall, including a 61-28-1 record in district play and 12-9 record in the playoffs. This past season, the Rangers were 5-6 and made their sixth consecutive trip to the playoffs.

In 2002, Purser led the Rangers to a 15-1 record and an appearance in the Class 3A Division II state championship game where they lost a heartbreaker, 27-24 in double overtime, to Bandera.

"Obviously coaching in the state championship game was the thrill of my life," said Purser, who has an overall coaching record of 150-93-9.

Among his other highlights in Greenwood, Purser recalled the 1988 and 2000 seasons. In '88, the Rangers won their first ever district championship and defeated then powerhouse Kermit in the process. In 2000, Purser took what was a lightly regarded team all the way to the state quarterfinals. And this past season, Purser led what he called "a group of overachievers" through a very difficult schedule, a co-District 3-3A championship and trip to the bi-district round of the playoffs.

Other than the success, Purser has enjoyed the kids at Greenwood most of all.

"I don't think you can coach anywhere and be around the young people that are here," Purser said. "Just the respect the kids have here, always 'yes sir, no sir' type of kids. It's always been hard to leave because of them."

When asked who he thought his replacement should be Purser said, "I don't think people care what I think but I would like to see someone who has had a past connection with Greenwood and has had a part in getting the program to where it is now."

As for his immediate plans, Purser said he will finish out the year at Greenwood High School and then take some time to decide on his future. He added he had no plans on leaving West Texas.

"I was born in Big Spring, so I'm not far from home," Purser said. "I am a West Texas kind of guy, so this is where I'm going to be until the Lord calls us home."

Green Ranger
01-05-2005, 09:38 AM
I have said it and I will say it again, Coach Purser is the only coach I have ever seen get under an arm of an injured athlete and help carry him off the field. I have the highest amount of respect for the man and I wish him the very best. As far as Glen Barber, he is also a very great man. Alot of things I think get put on him, the problem being half it not al the things that could be improved on never get to him due to a certain administrator in the high school. As far as coaches to be, I would love to see Coach Liles who was on board for the title run and or Coach Tedder who has been there the past three years. The question should be why doesn't people realize that Barber isnt the problem but a HS admin instead.

Bubba-Joe
01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
What is the problem in the High School Admin area?