PDA

View Full Version : Shared National Championship?

Bullaholic
01-03-2005, 10:26 PM
With Auburn whipping VT 16-0 in the 3rd Qtr of the Sugar Bowl, things might get a bit tough in picking a clear National Champ if they continue to win convincingly---especially if OU-USC is a close game.

3afan
01-03-2005, 10:37 PM
good - more reason to trash the BCS

Old Tiger
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I don't think there will be.

Bullaholic
01-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
good - more reason to trash the BCS

I agree 3AFan--football fans everywhere want a true National Champion. If they would just let the top 4 teams have a playoff series, it would help a lot-- 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3, and then winner take all final. Not going to happen as long as the school AD's and bowl management officials are running the selection process---too much $$$ at stake.

JettJenkins04
01-04-2005, 12:12 AM
I say the bcs can still do there little rankings as far as the teams and there strength of schedule and win margins goes. But after the last game is played and the top 8 teams are locked than after that there should be a 8 team playoff to determine the national champion. This will be a three week process but it will be great.

sahen
01-04-2005, 02:34 AM
since va. tech turned it around and only lost 16-13 auburn wont share the title.....that game was too close for the voters to give auburn enough votes to overcome OU or USC, whoever wins...

lobo12
01-04-2005, 02:41 AM
if they are worried bout the money you can have a playoff system of 16 teams, call all of the games the big bowls. and the teams not in the top 16 can still be invited to the smaller bowls. you still get all the money from the bowls and everyone is happy with a playoff system

YBS
01-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, we'll be back to Square 1 next year since the AP pulled out of the BCS. They'll probably be declaring their own championship next year like they did in 2003/2004 w/ USC and then the BSC and Coach's Poll will have their champion. I h8 this system! :mad:

kaorder1999
01-04-2005, 10:19 AM
hopefully there is just one national champion. V-Tech kept it too close!

CheerMom
01-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I agree that there will only be one National Champion. If Auburn would have blown away VT, they might consider it, but with such a close game I highly doubt it.

lobo12
01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
yeah auburn played virginia tech a close game, but usc played cal and ucla close games and look what those two teams did in bowl games. ou could have been beaten by a&m and osu and possibly ut and tech.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
yeah auburn played virginia tech a close game, but usc played cal and ucla close games and look what those two teams did in bowl games. ou could have been beaten by a&m and osu and possibly ut and tech. if your talking about reg season play, dont leave A&M out, they only lost by what? 7 points, right? if your talking about the bowls, then yea ill go w/ what you said

raider red 2000
01-04-2005, 12:48 PM
why not consider utah? they did what they had to do.....they scheduled decent non confrence oppponents......auburn played the citadel and a couple of small Louisiana schools. if you only took the top 4 then utah gets left behind. utah wins their bowl game by 4-td's over a weak onfrence champ, but it isnt their fault. i would have liked to have seen them against auburn.....who knows.

big daddy russ
01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
why not consider utah? they did what they had to do.....they scheduled decent non confrence oppponents......auburn played the citadel and a couple of small Louisiana schools. if you only took the top 4 then utah gets left behind. utah wins their bowl game by 4-td's over a weak onfrence champ, but it isnt their fault. i would have liked to have seen them against auburn.....who knows.
I've heard that argument, but mine makes a lot more sense. Auburn's pre-conference schedule may not have been loaded, but they still play in the toughest conference in the NATION, no matter how "down" everyone else says the SEC is. Do me a favor, name the only team in the top 10 to beat two or more 10-win teams and three or more nine-win teams this year.

Yup, that's Auburn. And they beat one of those 10-win teams twice. They were also the only team to beat four opponents ranked in the top 10 (Tennessee twice...going by the AP poll here..., LSU, Georgia... and that was only in the regular season). Their only close game was against LSU, who was ranked sixth at the time. As far as the SEC championship goes, Tennessee came back in the second half but Auburn squashed that momentum with a 43-yard TD pass from Jason Campbell.

If the SEC is down, let me ask everyone this: how many top-10 teams did the SEC have to finish the 2003-04 campaign? That was, after all, considered by most a good year.

A: Two

How many top-25 teams did they have?

A: Five

They'll wind up with at least two (possibly three if Tennessee can sneak in there) teams in the top 10 and five in the top-25. Explain to me again: exactly how is this a down year?

I'll tell you. The marquee teams of the SEC (Tennessee, Florida and Alabama) are in a down year. Auburn and Georgia may have supplanted them in the top 10, but nobody sees that.

The SEC is STILL the toughest conference in the nation. Yes, tougher than the Big XII, tougher than the ACC, tougher than the Big Ten and definitely tougher than the PAC-10. And yes, Auburn is my national champion.

raider red 2000
01-04-2005, 02:23 PM
i think that it is a bad deal for the kids that play at schools and not given a chance. kinda teaches them that life sucks....in some ways. i think that the school has the right to buy the kids rings....when terry bowden was at auburn he had a team that was undefeated and were not able to play in a bowl, they were ranked high, but because of NCAA sanctions no bowl. the kids still got a ring and would have to feel succesful. i dont see anythng wrong with having a split natl championship. isnt that the way that sports is goin anyways.

lettin 3 teams in the HS playoffs per district....big school small school.

all of the teams that end up undefeated should be very proud.

AP Panther Fan
01-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've heard that argument, but mine makes a lot more sense. Auburn's pre-conference schedule may not have been loaded, but they still play in the toughest conference in the NATION, no matter how "down" everyone else says the SEC is. Do me a favor, name the only team in the top 10 to beat two or more 10-win teams and three or more nine-win teams this year.

Yup, that's Auburn. And they beat one of those 10-win teams twice. They were also the only team to beat four opponents ranked in the top 10 (Tennessee twice...going by the AP poll here..., LSU, Georgia... and that was only in the regular season). Their only close game was against LSU, who was ranked sixth at the time. As far as the SEC championship goes, Tennessee came back in the second half but Auburn squashed that momentum with a 43-yard TD pass from Jason Campbell.

If the SEC is down, let me ask everyone this: how many top-10 teams did the SEC have to finish the 2003-04 campaign? That was, after all, considered by most a good year.

A: Two

How many top-25 teams did they have?

A: Five

They'll wind up with at least two (possibly three if Tennessee can sneak in there) teams in the top 10 and five in the top-25. Explain to me again: exactly how is this a down year?

I'll tell you. The marquee teams of the SEC (Tennessee, Florida and Alabama) are in a down year. Auburn and Georgia may have supplanted them in the top 10, but nobody sees that.

The SEC is STILL the toughest conference in the nation. Yes, tougher than the Big XII, tougher than the ACC, tougher than the Big Ten and definitely tougher than the PAC-10. And yes, Auburn is my national champion.

Russ, I love it when you get all passionate like that and back it up with good, strong arguments.;)

Congratulations on a great win by Auburn.:D

big daddy russ
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Love you too, AP.

GOFOR2
01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by sahen
since va. tech turned it around and only lost 16-13 auburn wont share the title.....that game was too close for the voters to give auburn enough votes to overcome OU or USC, whoever wins...

What if that touchdown pass is not dropped early in the game?
VTech wins.

aforbs19
01-04-2005, 08:48 PM
i dont think auburn will get the split championship, but i hope they do. they were the best team in college football this year, they got screwed because they were ranked low in the preseason poll. i still dont see why the preseason poll matters, no one has a clue about what will happen during the season.

aforbs19
01-04-2005, 10:57 PM
i've just changed my mind. USC should be out-right champs and they are the best in the nation. they are completely dominating ou.

big daddy russ
01-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Dang, I wish that Auburn and USC could play again this year. I'm sure there are 300 million other Americans, minus the die-hard USC fans, that would love to see it too.

crzyjournalist03
01-05-2005, 01:54 AM
I'd love to see that game too, but as an unbiased viewer, I'd have to say that I think that game would be a little one-sided as well. Probably not as bad as OU, but USC is the national champion, and I don't think that Auburn would have much of a chance...and I was actually pulling for Auburn most of the season hoping they'd screw the BCS up.

big daddy russ
01-05-2005, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'd love to see that game too, but as an unbiased viewer, I'd have to say that I think that game would be a little one-sided as well. Probably not as bad as OU, but USC is the national champion, and I don't think that Auburn would have much of a chance...and I was actually pulling for Auburn most of the season hoping they'd screw the BCS up. If USC and OU would've played five times, OU could've pulled off at least two wins. Tonight they just got snowballed by stupid mistakes at the beginning of the game.

Auburn didn't play all that well against Virginia Tech, especially their secondary, and it may have cost them the AP title (well, if the Sooners hadn't sucked it up tonight it might've). The Tiger DB's had way too many blown assignments the other night, but still pulled it off against a tough squad out of Blacksburg. The Auburn/USC Monday night game two years ago went down to the wire and last year's game would've been close if the offensive line wouldn't have sucked so bad, and Auburn has worked out all the kinks since then. Maybe I am being a homer, but I think Auburn could take USC.

Bullaholic
01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If USC and OU would've played five times, OU could've pulled off at least two wins. Tonight they just got snowballed by stupid mistakes at the beginning of the game.

Auburn didn't play all that well against Virginia Tech, especially their secondary, and it may have cost them the AP title (well, if the Sooners hadn't sucked it up tonight it might've). The Tiger DB's had way too many blown assignments the other night, but still pulled it off against a tough squad out of Blacksburg. The Auburn/USC Monday night game two years ago went down to the wire and last year's game would've been close if the offensive line wouldn't have sucked so bad, and Auburn has worked out all the kinks since then. Maybe I am being a homer, but I think Auburn could take USC.

Russ, on the basis of watching USC play in big games over the last 2 seasons, I would have to say that if OU and USC played five times, USC would win all 5. Maybe not as convincinglly as last night, but I think USC would still have won going away, even if you took away OU's mistakes. Oklahoma has some of the best college talent in America and they were flat physically and mentally dominated in the orange Bowl. I think the USC program has their athletes playing at a level in a system no other team can match right now. The "chemistry" is just right on the current USC team. It will take a real "letdown" for anyone to beat them anytime soon.