PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Young Heismann

Goldenstick
01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
If V.Y. stays healthy he will win the Heismann before he graduates. I really think he will be the front runner next season

gobbler grad
01-03-2005, 08:05 PM
very possible...stay healthy and put up some good numbers next year...

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-03-2005, 08:41 PM
i like young, i think he a terrific leader and has a butt-load of potential, but he needs to calm down, stay in the pocket and work on his accuracy as a passing qb. since he will have shippley next year, his passing percentages and numbers should improve, and we all know he can run the ball, but lets see something that we can remember him for. like beating the crap out of ou. where is V.Y. from anyway?

YBS
01-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i like young, i think he a terrific leader and has a butt-load of potential, but he needs to calm down, stay in the pocket and work on his accuracy as a passing qb. since he will have shippley next year, his passing percentages and numbers should improve, and we all know he can run the ball, but lets see something that we can remember him for. like beating the crap out of ou. where is V.Y. from anyway?

Houston Madison I believe...

sinton66
01-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Houston Madison is correct.

Leopards,class of 75
01-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Goldenstick
If V.Y. stays healthy he will win the Heismann before he graduates. I really think he will be the front runner next season I agree with you on that! It makes you wonder that if Texas would of beat O.U. this year, would he at least been nominated for the Heismann? With good numbers next season he will be in that top five for the Heismann.

3afan
01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
H-E-I-S-M-A-N

Old Tiger
01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
He's a good player indeed but he needs to become a thrower before he will win.

3afan
01-03-2005, 10:53 PM
11-1 is not winning ???????

Old Tiger
01-03-2005, 11:01 PM
The Heisman 3afan

Goldenstick
01-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Maybe a little better but he can win one with his legs. Look at Crouch at Nebraska

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Let me start by first saying that I've always been a Vince Young supporter and thought that he was a really good QB. But let me just ask how different things would have been had Mangum missed the kick that ended the Rose Bowl.

Media across the country would be talking about how Mack Brown can never win a big game, even when it's in his grasps. They would have looked at Vince Young's performance and said that it's a shame that a player with such potential will never be able to get the credit he deserves, much like Cedric Benson this year in the Heisman voting.

I just think it's ironic that this one win makes Young a frontrunner for the Heisman next year. I'm not questioning anybody here, because I'm hearing it across the national media right now too. But it was only October when there were grumblings that Vince Young might never be a consistent quarterback and Texas might need to start looking elsewhere for help. (Remember Chance Mock getting put into games this year?)

I hope that Vince Young does win the Heisman next year and enters Longhorns history, but I just don't understand how one game impacts the views of so many people across the nation.

Astrosdawg07
01-04-2005, 01:07 AM

Ya he needs to work on his throwing motion!

rockdale80
01-04-2005, 01:11 AM
all aboard for the vince young bandwagon....great athelete....not a great quarterback...terrible mechanics....poor accuracy...bad release....all he can do is scramble...given time may be a great quarterback...not there yet though...and it was barely a month ago when everyone was ragging him out because of the loss to O.U.

big daddy russ
01-04-2005, 03:31 AM
I think Young will wind up a good QB, but he'd really benefit from a guy like Norm Chow or Al Borges before he'll become a true QB. I don't know if any of you watched the Sugar Bowl tonight, but Auburn's first offensive play was a 30-someodd yard pass from Jason Campbell to his tight end, Cooper Wallace on a seam route. Campbell just threw a dart right over a linebacker (who was dropped into zone coverage about 15-20 yards deep) and under the safeties (which were covering about 30-35 yards downfield). All I could think of was that Cambell and Young are the same height and that Young, as it stands right now, would have the hardest time in the world making that sort of throw over the middle. It's tough to completely rework your mechanics over the course of eight months, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see all the loaded UT alums shell out a little extra cash for a QB guru to aid ol' Mack with his little project under center.

3afan
01-04-2005, 07:19 AM
The Heisman 3afan

:doh:

YBS
01-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Let me start by first saying that I've always been a Vince Young supporter and thought that he was a really good QB. But let me just ask how different things would have been had Mangum missed the kick that ended the Rose Bowl.

Media across the country would be talking about how Mack Brown can never win a big game, even when it's in his grasps. They would have looked at Vince Young's performance and said that it's a shame that a player with such potential will never be able to get the credit he deserves, much like Cedric Benson this year in the Heisman voting.

I just think it's ironic that this one win makes Young a frontrunner for the Heisman next year. I'm not questioning anybody here, because I'm hearing it across the national media right now too. But it was only October when there were grumblings that Vince Young might never be a consistent quarterback and Texas might need to start looking elsewhere for help. (Remember Chance Mock getting put into games this year?)

I hope that Vince Young does win the Heisman next year and enters Longhorns history, but I just don't understand how one game impacts the views of so many people across the nation.

That's how college football is...look at how Michael Vick became a household name after performing on the big stage when V. Tech played against FSU for the national championship. He made it to the league off of the one game primarily even though he's proven his worth since then, i.e. playoffs @ Green Bay 2 yrs. ago & team record w/ and w/o Vick.

kaorder1999
01-04-2005, 12:49 PM
i would have to say that Bush from USC and Peterson from OU will be frontrunners for the Heisman next year!

raider red 2000
01-04-2005, 04:13 PM
who cares if the kid can throw....look at the wheels on that dude. in college you dont have to throw. in my opinion i hope that he stays in the pocket to pass. he wont win as much (i dont like UT) . if he is able to run in the scheme let him and he is amazing.

he will be a great reciever in the NFL.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
who cares if the kid can throw....look at the wheels on that dude. in college you dont have to throw. in my opinion i hope that he stays in the pocket to pass. he wont win as much (i dont like UT) . if he is able to run in the scheme let him and he is amazing.

he will be a great reciever in the NFL. thats a bold statement for someone to say about one of their rivals:clap:

gobbler grad
01-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Vince will have his hands full next year in the heismann race with Peterson and Bush ...will be a good run for any of them...hope they all stay healthy...

Tidal Wave
01-05-2005, 01:35 AM
Young would be an awesome receiver..but the question is..does he have the hands?...but its ok...if yall didnt know..Steve McNair trains Vince Young..he's like a father figure for him...they had this special about it on tv so thats how i know...i dunno...I see great things for Vince Young..damn can yall imagine all the badass qb's in the nfl soon..Micheal Vick,Marcus Vick,Vince Young...damn....

Phil C
01-05-2005, 10:56 AM
We have to remember it takes a lot of luck with hitting the good games just right and also not having injuries. Peterson has an anvantage also from the momentum he picked up at this years balloting. Also Texas needs to replace some good defensive players like Derek Johnson. And on offense the receivers will have to pull through and Texas will need to find a good running back to replace Benson. If these fall into place and Young works out this spring with his receivers and get a decent passing attack next year then he will have a good chance at it.

Bellville22
01-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Young could definately win a Heisman. What a football player. Not sold on him as a pure QB, but what a great college football player. The Heisman race should be fun next year, many worthy candidates.....

Peterson, Leinart (possibly), Bush, McNeal, Ginn, Henne, should be a fun year.

rockdale80
01-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Tidal Wave
Young would be an awesome receiver..but the question is..does he have the hands?...but its ok...if yall didnt know..Steve McNair trains Vince Young..he's like a father figure for him...they had this special about it on tv so thats how i know...i dunno...I see great things for Vince Young..damn can yall imagine all the badass qb's in the nfl soon..Micheal Vick,Marcus Vick,Vince Young...damn....

language...language...language

CRHSeagle
01-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Young could definately win a Heisman. What a football player. Not sold on him as a pure QB, but what a great college football player. The Heisman race should be fun next year, many worthy candidates.....

Peterson, Leinart (possibly), Bush, McNeal, Ginn, Henne, should be a fun year.
Do you mean Teddy Guinn of Ohio State because that guy is a stud!

Leopards,class of 75
01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Is Vincent Young going to be a Jr. next year? I too think that if he has good hands, he will be a wide reciever in the N.F.L. I.M.O., to win the Heismann, he will have to find a way to beat O.U. along with all the other teams.

Astrosdawg07
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i would have to say that Bush from USC and Peterson from OU will be frontrunners for the Heisman next year!

Add Leinart, he say's he's coming back :rolleyes:

nutcrackin
01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Does Vince Young have a chance to play QB in the NFL... didn't think so. He should move to receiver next year allowing freshman to be phenom Ryan Perriloux rated the #1 prospect by rivals.com to make the longhorns serious contenders. Ryan has been compared to Micheal Vick because of his legs and ARM (unlike Young) and Young in even more space (as a receiver would become that much more deadly. Young could be a freakish receiver by the end of his senior season.

raider red 2000
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
i would not expect a freshman to take over the QB spot in austin. i doubt that any freshman would be able to lead the longhorns to a championship. comparing a HS kid to mike vick is also bad news i think.

young would be a great reciever...he wont play there until he is in the league though.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Does Vince Young have a chance to play QB in the NFL... didn't think so. He should move to receiver next year allowing freshman to be phenom Ryan Perriloux rated the #1 prospect by rivals.com to make the longhorns serious contenders. Ryan has been compared to Micheal Vick because of his legs and ARM (unlike Young) and Young in even more space (as a receiver would become that much more deadly. Young could be a freakish receiver by the end of his senior season. the chances of mack moving younf to wide out are slim to none, that opens the field for alot of risk. atleast w/ him under the center he knows he has someone who is used to the flow of defense. i highly expect vince young to improve his passing game next year, not to the point of being a top qb prospect, but enough so that he will be atleast 75% on passes next season.

big daddy russ
01-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Does Vince Young have a chance to play QB in the NFL... didn't think so. He should move to receiver next year allowing freshman to be phenom Ryan Perriloux rated the #1 prospect by rivals.com to make the longhorns serious contenders. Ryan has been compared to Micheal Vick because of his legs and ARM (unlike Young) and Young in even more space (as a receiver would become that much more deadly. Young could be a freakish receiver by the end of his senior season. Sorry guys, this won't happen. Young isn't a pure QB, but he everyone seems to forget he still has two years left to work out the kinks and he's still a dangerous QB at the college level. Tommie Frazier wasn't much of a passer but he still won a national championship with Nebraska.

As far as the NFL goes, he'll probably be there as a QB. He has the tools, it's his mechanics that are flawed. Someone will take him, and I'd be surprised if he lasts longer than the first day.

JasperDog94
01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but just based on athleticism he'll be drafted and kept around. Maybe as a backup, maybe not but he'll be in the NFL.

aforbs19
01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
vince young is NOT that good...the only reason why he did decent this year is because teams had to focus on cedric benson, just watch him blow it next year when teams try to stop him...i'm predicting him to throw more picks than tds because he cant throw

JettJenkins04
01-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by aforbs19
vince young is NOT that good...the only reason why he did decent this year is because teams had to focus on cedric benson, just watch him blow it next year when teams try to stop him...i'm predicting him to throw more picks than tds because he cant throw

I can't what for next year so you can eat all of your words. I have yet to watch a game of his because of work but i know what this young man is cable of. I seen him when he played in High School for Madison. Unbeleavable.

Goldenstick
01-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Young will be the best player in college football next year

rockdale80
01-08-2005, 02:17 PM
i will bet otherwise...name the stakes

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Young will be the best player in college football next year i think he will be among the best, but not THE best. if mack brown and company get a good qb coach to work w/ him he will be up there w/ the best of them, i just think the best is alot to live up to. too much to live up to at this point.

gobbler grad
01-08-2005, 06:12 PM
i think he will be among the best, but not THE best. if mack brown and company get a good qb coach to work w/ him he will be up there w/ the best of them, i just think the best is alot to live up to. too much to live up to at this point.

that's exactly right...:)

Panther Ross
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Young will be the best player in college football next year

Are you serious? Poor kid wasn't even close to being the best player this season.

AggieJohn
01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
i will try to keep from making vince-reggie comparisons and being bias....but i do believe that vince is more athletic of an individual than reggie per say.....where vinc needs to increase is in muscle mass and his passing ability, he will be a great qb in the NFL if he gets a better passing form and bulks up...right now everytime i watch him throw i fear that he's going to throw out his wrist...

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i will try to keep from making vince-reggie comparisons and being bias....but i do believe that vince is more athletic of an individual than reggie per say.....where vinc needs to increase is in muscle mass and his passing ability, he will be a great qb in the NFL if he gets a better passing form and bulks up...right now everytime i watch him throw i fear that he's going to throw out his wrist... that was a very good summarization of young aggiejohn:clap:

raider red 2000
01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
the chances of mack moving younf to wide out are slim to none, that opens the field for alot of risk. atleast w/ him under the center he knows he has someone who is used to the flow of defense. i highly expect vince young to improve his passing game next year, not to the point of being a top qb prospect, but enough so that he will be atleast 75% on passes next season.

75% ??? if he completes 75% of his passes he will be the 1st pick in the draft....peyton manning i dont believe has a 75% completion percentage.