PDA

View Full Version : Draft Picks

CRHSeagle
12-30-2004, 01:45 AM
You're in the Tuna's shoes, who do you pick with 2 first round picks?

+The QB spot is an area of concern
+The secondary isn't getting any better with the retirement of Darren Woodson
+The pass rush was terrible this year
+We still need that go-to reciever
+The O-line was inconsistent this year and Larry Allen is past his prime

What to do, What to do?

kepdawg
12-30-2004, 02:51 AM
I don't know what I would do. I need to many things! Obviously settling the QB situation would be my top priority. I would have liked to have seen Romo the last 4-6 games of this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran brought in to start next season. It'd be nice if the 'boys could land Drew Brees, but it will more likely be someone of the Kurt Warner mold. I think we are fine at RB with Jones, Lee, and Bickerstaff coming back next season. I'd be on the lookout for a new FB. I would have liked to have seen Jamar Martin stick around a bit longer. I also think the TE situation is fine with Witten and Campbell. At WR I like what Keyshawn brings to the table and I like what I have seen in Crayton and Cooper so far. I would be on the lookout for a big time play maker. Find one and add Terry Glenn and Quincy Morgan to the mix and you should be able to field a solid WR core. The offensive line needs a lot of work, but I'm not so sure most of the needs can't be filled from in house. I like Johnson at center and Allen at LG. I'd move Flozell to the right side and put Jacob Rogers at LT. Steve Peterman would be my starting RG. Tyson Walter and Andre Gurode should be serviceable backups. I would draft OL in the later rounds.

As bad as the offense has looked at times, I think the defense needs more work. I can live with Greg Ellis as my LE and with La'Roi Glover as my RT. I'm not happy with anyone on the team as my RE or LT. I just can't decide what I want to do with my LB's. Coakley, Nguyen, and Singleton are nice guys, but I think some improvement can be made here. I'd like to see Bradie James and Kalen Thornton get some more time. The secondary is a mess. Terrance Newman is a given at LC and Roy Williams is my FS. With the players I have now I'd throw Keith Davis out there as my SS and Lance Frazier as my RC.

I'm always looking at options for my special teams players. I kind of like McBriar as my punter. He did kick one 71 yards in the air on Sunday. It went into the endzone and he ended having to rekick because of a penalty, but he still kicked it 71 yards in the air! I'm not too happy with Cundiff. Terrance Newman is my new punt returner. If I can have him blocking for the punt returns I might as well see what he can do with the ball in his hands. Lee, Cooper, and Crayton will get first shot at kickoff returns.

Bull's-eye
12-30-2004, 03:08 AM
Tuna will probably not want to stay long enough to develop a young QB. I look for him to get the QB via free agency. Secondary help is needed, but they do have several young prospects returning that werel injured earlier in the year. A pass rusher would make their secondary alot better. My first choice would be a go-to receiver. The loss of Terry Glenn really hurt the Cowboy's passing game. Next year's projected starters are 33 & 30 years old. Offensive line help is needed, but you can usually get quality lineman later in the draft. Parcells said that he will really go after help in the free agency market. They really can't go wrong because there are so many needs. Alot will depend on what's on the board and what free agents are available.

injuredinmelee
12-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Id trade my two first round picks to get into a position to take Derrick Johnson, LB, THE University of Texas.

Bullaholic
12-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Here's my thoughts:

Draft Mike Williams, WR
Make a serious run at John Abraham, DE, NY Jets
Make a serious run at TY Law, DB NE Patriots
Draft 2 outstanding offensive linemen for the right side of the "O" line
The Tuna will go after Drew Bledsoe, QB, Buffalo if there is any chance.
And---most outrageous of all---look for an outside chance of the return of Jimmy Johnson in 06'.

Keith7
12-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Here's my thoughts:

Draft Mike Williams, WR
Make a serious run at John Abraham, DE, NY Jets
Make a serious run at TY Law, DB NE Patriots
Draft 2 outstanding offensive linemen for the right side of the "O" line
The Tuna will go after Drew Bledsoe, QB, Buffalo if there is any chance.
And---most outrageous of all---look for an outside chance of the return of Jimmy Johnson in 06'.

you are talking about some salary cap problems with that plan bull.. They have already screwed up by paying alot of money to washed up players

JasperDog94
12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Id trade my two first round picks to get into a position to take Derrick Johnson, LB, THE University of Texas. As much as I like DJ, there are more pressing needs than the LB position.

JasperDog94
12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Draft Mike Williams, WR
How soon will he be off the boards and can the Cowboys move up and get him?

Bull's-eye
12-30-2004, 01:49 PM
I think Dallas is way under the Salary cap and should have money to spend.

pirate4state
12-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Here's my thoughts:

Draft Mike Williams, WR
I'm already praying for this!! :thumbsup: Lets hope it happens!! :clap:

Bullaholic
12-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
you are talking about some salary cap problems with that plan bull.. They have already screwed up by paying alot of money to washed up players

The Cowboys have a pretty good amount of cap room right now, Keith. Of course, they probably won't if they get everybody on my list, but I think this has been the major part of their troubles---not going after top players and paying them when they are available. The Cowboys need to stop being "crafty" and put their dollars where there is no doubt they will get a return---in top players--not has-beens.