PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown signs Contract Extension with Texas

jason
12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Texas, Brown agree to new 10-year contract
By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports Writer
December 29, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Football coach Mack Brown and Texas agreed to a 10-year contract worth more than $25 million that would keep him at the university through 2014.

``We're excited about everything Mack has done in building our football program back into one of the nation's elite,'' athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Wednesday, three days before the sixth-ranked Longhorns face No. 13 Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

``He's a perfect fit for us,'' Dodds said.

The new deal needs approval from the school's board of regents, but Dodds said he thinks that won't be a problem.

Brown's old pact runs through 2011, Dodds said. The new contract would boost Brown's $2.06 million annual salary by $100,000 in the first year, with additional $100,000 raises each year. He'd earn a little more than $3 million in 2014.

``We've had a great seven years, and I'm really excited about the future,'' Brown said. ``There is no greater place to coach than the University of Texas.''

Brown, already one of the highest-paid coaches in college football, has led Texas to four straight seasons with at least 10 victories and is 69-19 in Austin.

He has never won a conference title in 21 seasons as a head coach. He has won two Big 12 South conference titles (1999 and 2001) but lost both conference championship games.

The Rose Bowl will be the first Bowl Championship Series appearance for the Longhorns (10-1).

Dodds said he saw no reason to wait until after the season to draw up a new contract for Brown.

``Winning and losing is real important. It's important to me, it's important to Mack, it's important to the kids,'' Dodds said. ``This is about the long haul.''

District303aPastPlayer
12-29-2004, 07:44 PM
i really dont know what to say...

jason
12-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i really dont know what to say... i do...how about "ka ching" $$$$$

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-29-2004, 08:10 PM
ka ching really fits in this situation, im sure more will develope in the near future, he is, after all, the best recruiting coach there is in the business today.

Jet1
12-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
ka ching really fits in this situation, im sure more will develope in the near future, he is, after all, the best recruiting coach there is in the business today.

If he is the best why is the best going across the border to Oklahoma?

jason
12-29-2004, 09:39 PM
because ou beats texas...just because you are the best recruiter doesnt necessarily mean you have the best team/program...

he is continually bringing in top 3 recruiting classes every year...

VWG
12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
10 years is way too much. 5 years.. yeah, but not 10.
I have a feeling that in 5-6 years Texas fans will be crying about this one.

CRHSeagle
12-30-2004, 12:11 AM
if he keeps losing against OU they will.

GOFOR2
12-30-2004, 12:17 AM
I am a diehard UT fan, but I cannot believe that the University gave this no-big game winning guy such a big contract.
He is yet to win a big game.
I am flabbergasted.
He is not worth a 10 year deal for $25 million!!
If he were worth it, he would be recruiting the nation's best, would have a better defensive coordinator, a better offensive coordinator, a better quarterback (instead of training someone who should be a tailback or receiver to play QB-Vince Young)
I still cant believe that we are that desperate to keep his tail in Texas that we throw money at a guy whose contract UT will prolly be buying out in 4-5 years.
Unbelievable!!! I dont know what else to say about it.

KTJ
12-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Well over here in Austin, people are just shocked. Like, we don't know what to say. Some peopel are happy, others just really have no idea what to say. It's very weird.

Astrosdawg07
12-30-2004, 01:26 AM
:(

kaorder1999
12-30-2004, 08:26 AM
he was already under contract through 2011. That is just rediculous.

Phil C
12-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by VWG
10 years is way too much. 5 years.. yeah, but not 10.
I have a feeling that in 5-6 years Texas fans will be crying about this one.

If they get beat bad by Michigan it may happen even sooner. The thing I am worried about is that maybe the Big Ten is better than the Big Twelve after what Ohio State did to Oklahoma State yesterday.

KTJ
12-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Well I'll say this. Mack has already won over the folks he needed to so his job is safe. We could go 2-9 next year and not one word would be uttered to Mack.

And those folks are:

DeLoss Dodds
Joe Jamail
Tom Hicks
Larry Faulkner

It's amazing how those 4 people have so much influence compared to the THOUSANDS of alumni.

pirate44
12-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Well I'll say this. Mack has already won over the folks he needed to so his job is safe. We could go 2-9 next year and not one word would be uttered to Mack.

And those folks are:

DeLoss Dodds
Joe Jamail
Tom Hicks
Larry Faulkner

It's amazing how those 4 people have so much influence compared to the THOUSANDS of alumni.
2-9!!:eek: Thats when vigilante justice kicks in!

Bullaholic
12-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

And those folks are:

DeLoss Dodds
Joe Jamail
Tom Hicks
Larry Faulkner

You forgot Darryl Royal, KTJ. I think he's a big part of Mack's longetivity.

injuredinmelee
12-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
I am a diehard UT fan, but I cannot believe that the University gave this no-big game winning guy such a big contract.
He is yet to win a big game.
I am flabbergasted.
He is not worth a 10 year deal for $25 million!!
If he were worth it, he would be recruiting the nation's best, would have a better defensive coordinator, a better offensive coordinator, a better quarterback (instead of training someone who should be a tailback or receiver to play QB-Vince Young)
I still cant believe that we are that desperate to keep his tail in Texas that we throw money at a guy whose contract UT will prolly be buying out in 4-5 years.
Unbelievable!!! I dont know what else to say about it.

I would say the defense under the new co coordinators this fall was the best defense that MAck Brown has had since arriving in Austin. Its only a matter of time before Davis is gone too.

Vince is the kind of athlete that you want the ball in his hands every single play imo.
I am not a big mack Brown towel waver belive me i have cussed him many many many times but id rather have this than Machovic or however it was spelled

injuredinmelee
12-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Well over here in Austin, people are just shocked. Like, we don't know what to say. Some peopel are happy, others just really have no idea what to say. It's very weird.

I woner if there is something about to happen at Florida State int he next couple of weeks or next season. There are alot of people that think Mack is the guy that replaces Bowden and I have been one of them. Maybe Dodds knows something.

Hupernikomen
12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
he might not have the national championships but consider his record against the recent past and I think he has performed fairly well...just a matter of time before he gets UT the national championship they seek...I hope.

KTJ
12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
I have a friend here at UT that went to undergrad at Florida State. She told me that Bobby Bowden has more power than the FSU president.

With that said, Bowden is going to die on the sidelines. He, like Paterno, isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Jody
12-30-2004, 12:55 PM
I think it is GREAT! UT has shown it's comitment to getting whipped by OU on a consistent basis and come 2006 the A&M team will begin to dominate them as well.

Mac Brown was successful in recruiting because of the few outstanding highly publicized players such as Ricky Williams, Vince Young, and a few of their past receivers. UT will be a near 500 team in 3 years.

Heck even most UT fans can't stand him as a head coach..:D

I guess Chris Sims daddy's bond notes finally matured so UT could pay Mac back for playing a joke of a son at Q-Back all those years, while they had an Applewhite on the bench... :D

Macarthur
12-30-2004, 02:04 PM
Let me start by saying I think Mac has done a great job at Texas. I think he is a great recruiter, a good motivator, but an average game day coach. Never the less, he has done well for the university.

I think the $64,000.00 questions is, WHY? He's got a contract until 2011. What possible reason could they have to do this? It's not like other schools and the NFL are beating down Doss' door to hire him away from the university.

What happens if they lose to Michigan? Let's not forget they have a very difficult road schedule next year. @Ohio State, OU, @Ok. State, @ A&M. I think it's highly likely they lose two of those road games next year. That would most likely put them out of a BCS next year. I'm not saying they should fire him, but, again, I just don't understand why this needs to be done at this point.

GOFOR2
12-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I would say the defense under the new co coordinators this fall was the best defense that MAck Brown has had since arriving in Austin. Its only a matter of time before Davis is gone too.

Vince is the kind of athlete that you want the ball in his hands every single play imo.
I am not a big mack Brown towel waver belive me i have cussed him many many many times but id rather have this than Machovic or however it was spelled

I should have been more specific when I made this post.
The intelligence of the staff showed up against OU and Kansas.
Yes, you want Vince Young to get plenty of touches but he is not a throwing QB, although he did well against non-blitzing teams.
The defense did do very well, but in the most crucial moments I say some pretty bone head calls that I know the kids on the field are not calling themselves.
I also believe you need athletes to win, but having a bonehead staff or a staff that nuts up in critical moments or in the big games will get you beat.
I hate to sound so negative about my beloved Horns but I just cannot justify giving Mack Brown such a huge extension of a contract.
Still flabbergasted in South Texas.
:mad:

YBS
12-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
If they get beat bad by Michigan it may happen even sooner. The thing I am worried about is that maybe the Big Ten is better than the Big Twelve after what Ohio State did to Oklahoma State yesterday.

:o No! Don't say that here! There are children and other impressionables listening!

YBS
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Jody
I think it is GREAT! UT has shown it's comitment to getting whipped by OU on a consistent basis and come 2006 the A&M team will begin to dominate them as well.

Mac Brown was successful in recruiting because of the few outstanding highly publicized players such as Ricky Williams, Vince Young, and a few of their past receivers. UT will be a near 500 team in 3 years.

Heck even most UT fans can't stand him as a head coach..:D

I guess Chris Sims daddy's bond notes finally matured so UT could pay Mac back for playing a joke of a son at Q-Back all those years, while they had an Applewhite on the bench... :D

Jody, that wasn't one of those Jasper hexes was it? ;)