PDA

View Full Version : Tsunamis

NSUTrumpet08
12-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Man...this is some really devestating stuff! Over 55,000 people dead and that total is supposed to increase. Can't imagine a 9.0 magnitude earthquake but these tsunamis! Such incredible damage...

My prayers go out to these people and some of these stories how people survived...

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I heard where it rotated the axes of the earth :eek:

Port_town_texas
12-29-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I heard where it rotated the axes of the earth :eek: WHAT?!

pirate44
12-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I heard where it rotated the axes of the earth :eek:
wasnt it by 3 microseconds? i also heard it moved an entire island 100 ft.:eek:

vet93
12-29-2004, 10:00 AM
It is true...the violent shift of the tektonic (sp?) plates caused the earth's axis to shift a few inches and the earth's axis to wobble. It also caused the earth to rotate more quickly causing our day length to be shortened by 3 milliseconds.....now that is some awesome power.

Originally posted by Port_town_texas
WHAT?!

CheerMom
12-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Wow, that is incredible. My prayers go out to all the families during this horrible tragedy.

gobbler grad
12-29-2004, 10:18 AM
somebody at work told me that tidal wave was moving 500 miles an hour across water...that's some tremendous force...:eek:

NSUTrumpet08
12-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
somebody at work told me that tidal wave was moving 500 miles an hour across water...that's some tremendous force...:eek:

Yep that's correct...and although this earthquake happened near Indonesia, i heard that at least 11 people were killed in Somalia, Africa from the tsunamis; so these are far reaching...

Some of these videos are chilling...seing the waves just crash ashore and sweep away people.

Bullaholic
12-29-2004, 10:48 AM
OMG....I think the world moved.:D

(No humor whatsoever intended to be associated with this tragic loss of life---just a good spot to make a play on words).

YBS
12-29-2004, 12:43 PM
That's incredulous.

setex
12-29-2004, 12:46 PM
100,0000 (http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/15630695?source=Evening%20Standard&ct=5)

Port_town_texas
12-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
Yep that's correct...and although this earthquake happened near Indonesia, i heard that at least 11 people were killed in Somalia, Africa from the tsunamis; so these are far reaching...

Some of these videos are chilling...seing the waves just crash ashore and sweep away people. where can i see pics or video of these waves?

NSUTrumpet08
12-29-2004, 03:18 PM
where can i see pics or video of these waves?

I've seen much of these videos on tv like on CNN and Fox News etc.

pirate44
12-29-2004, 03:20 PM
where can i see pics or video of these waves?
try this link. i got it off of the Drudge report.
http://jlgolson.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-video.html

pirate44
12-29-2004, 03:25 PM
hmm..i cant access any video. but there are photos though

Port_town_texas
12-29-2004, 03:32 PM
just saw some of the video. WOW!

Ranger Mom
12-29-2004, 03:35 PM
My husband told me heard on one of the talk radio stations that, at one of these places that was hard hit, tourists were laying on the beach and all of the sudden the ocean started pulling back, basically dissappearing from sight.

Evidently lots of little kids went running out on the ocean bed, because the pullback had uncovered lots and lots of sea shells, the next thing they knew a huge wave crashed over the kids pulling them out to sea.

Now....if that had been me and I saw the ocean dissappearing like that into the horizon.....I would have grabbed my kids and hauled my butt in the opposite direction!!

Port_town_texas
12-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My husband told me heard on one of the talk radio stations that, at one of these places that was hard hit, tourists were laying on the beach and all of the sudden the ocean started pulling back, basically dissappearing from sight.

Evidently lots of little kids went running out on the ocean bed, because the pullback had uncovered lots and lots of sea shells, the next thing they knew a huge wave crashed over the kids pulling them out to sea.

Now....if that had been me and I saw the ocean dissappearing like that into the horizon.....I would have grabbed my kids and hauled my butt in the opposite direction!! yep. thats what i was thinking as well.

NSUTrumpet08
12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Well i bet many of these tourists didn't know what this phenomenon was and the tide just receding like that would naturally bring curious onlookers to the beach. Unfortunately, the people were caught off-guard...

pirate44
12-29-2004, 03:56 PM
i would have thought someone pulled the plug on the ocean and i would have high tailed it out or there. what am i saying?! theres no way id be vacationing there anyway!!

Ranger Mom
12-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
Well i bet many of these tourists didn't know what this phenomenon was and the tide just receding like that would naturally bring curious onlookers to the beach. Unfortunately, the people were caught off-guard...

I wouldn't have know what it was either...but you can bet if I had been there, I wouldn't have stuck around long enough to find out either.

The fact that the ocean pulled back on itself hundreds of feet would freak me out!

vet93
12-29-2004, 05:32 PM
There was some movie or tv show where this happened....I can't think of the movie right now....maybe it was Armegeddon or the day after....anyone remember.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I wouldn't have know what it was either...but you can bet if I had been there, I wouldn't have stuck around long enough to find out either.

The fact that the ocean pulled back on itself hundreds of feet would freak me out!

Phantom Stang
12-30-2004, 12:11 AM
MSN had quite a bit of video about it.

That site can be a pain in the @$$ at times. :doh:

Chief Woodman
12-30-2004, 09:13 AM
One of my friends daughter was supposed to be on Phi Phi island Thiland. ( that island is totally detroyed) He said he has not heard from her and the airline claims she missed the connecting flight in Japan. But he is very worried because she has not called, which is not like her at all.

Ranger Mom
12-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Did anybody see the tsunami special last night on ABC with Charlie Gibson?

It is amazing to me that the animals were able to sense something wasn't right and moved to higher ground!

That was a heartbreaking show to watch though!

pirate44
12-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
One of my friends daughter was supposed to be on Phi Phi island Thiland. ( that island is totally detroyed) He said he has not heard from her and the airline claims she missed the connecting flight in Japan. But he is very worried because she has not called, which is not like her at all.
Thats a sad situation. i wish the best for your friend and his daughter.

ej2525
12-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman

That's terrible!! I saw on CNN that the total count of casualties has risen to 115,000 and still counting. It must be awful over there right now!

NSUTrumpet08
12-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ej2525
That's terrible!! I saw on CNN that the total count of casualties has risen to 115,000 and still counting. It must be awful over there right now!

Yeah...it truly is...I'm afraid those who survived the tsunami will die from disease...

Macarthur
12-30-2004, 02:14 PM
You always hear people say that things happen for a reason, and God has a plan. Well, I'd like to know what the hell the plan is for this one. I'm having a hard time with this one.

3afan
12-30-2004, 02:18 PM
final death toll could be 250,000 (per someone on CNN)

3afan
12-30-2004, 02:50 PM
dang - some guy from the UN on CNN just said ultimately could be > 1,000,000 !!!!

NSUTrumpet08
12-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
dang - some guy from the UN on CNN just said ultimately could be > 1,000,000 !!!!

I wouldn't doubt that figure...i hear a lot of diseases has sprung up and if it's not contained, we could be having an epidemic on our hands...

3afan
12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
some of the video coming in is astounding --- a town of 15,000 people on Sumatra (western Indonesia) is now gone, literally gone

NSUTrumpet08
12-30-2004, 10:16 PM
This is a great website that shows before and after pictures of the tsunami's wrath. These are the picture you have seen on the news channels...stunning pictures...

Tsunami Before and After Pics (http://www.digitalglobe.com/)