View Full Version : Former Sinton coach now the AD/HC in Alice

Sinton94
12-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Brent Davis Leaves The Colony For Alice
Davis comes from The Colony;
Contract runs through 2008

Paul S. Martinez
Alice Echo-News Journal

There's a new man in charge of continuing the winning Coyote tradition. Brent Davis has been hired as the new Alice Independent School District athletic director and head football coach. "I'm extremely excited. I know that Alice has a great tradition and we're going to continue building on what Coach (Van Tom) Whatley had going and build up this program to where we can beat Calallen and G-P," Davis said.

Davis was confirmed unanimously during a special AISD school board meeting Thursday afternoon. "After an intense and thorough search, the superintendent made this recommendation to the board. The board unanimously approved it. There were over 40 applicants - 40 coaches wanted this job - and I think we picked the best one for us, the best program for our town and our kids," said AISD School Board President Antonio Bill.

Davis' contract becomes active on Feb. 1, 2005 and runs through June 30, 2008. Davis brings to Alice more than 17 years of coaching experience-nine of those years as a head coach. Davis is currently head football coach at The Colony's High School near Dallas. He also serves as the athletic coordinator for the school.

Davis' career highlights include coaching Sinton to the state championship game in 2001 and being the head coach at Banquete for three years. Davis has also been on the coaching staffs of El Campo and Cuero - both programs with strong winning traditions.

AISD Superintendent Henry Herrera said he liked Davis because "he knows how to win." "We wanted to make sure that the types of experiences that the coach we chose brought were from places with winning traditions. Coach Davis took Sinton to the state game. He was successful with Banquete. He excelled as a quarterback in high school," Herrera said.

The superintendent also said he was looking for someone with experience as an athletic director. "Davis is someone who has worked with all the sports. We want to maintain our football tradition, but we also want to make sure we take care of our other sports," Herrera said, adding that Davis also has experience in keeping students academically eligible for athletics.

Davis said he would design his football strategy around personnel. "We're here to build around our personnel. Our offense is real flexible; we can run any formation. We can spread them out and pass or get in tight and run the wing T," Davis said.

Davis said he might bring in a few new coaches from the outside. "We're going to get in here and evaluate things. We're going to talk to everyone here and see what they want to do. There's some people on the outside, who I have contact with, that I might bring in," Davis said. Davis, who is originally from Lubbock, holds a bachelor's degree from San Angelo State University and masters in education from Texas A&M Kingsville. Davis is married and has three children: 14- and 11-year-old sons and a three-year-old daughter.

"I'm exited and looking forward to coach Davis' tenure. Some of the things he has mentioned to me really has me optimistic about athletic success," Herrera said. "When you're successful in athletics, it bleeds over into academics."

Jody
12-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Now that is one hot a%$ place in the summer.....:D Some good football teams down that way.

VWG
12-28-2004, 07:55 PM
OK... why is this guy leaving The Colony to go to Alice?
Something doesn't add up to me. The Colony is a good school in a great part of the metroplex. Not known for its athletic accomplishments.... but to leave The Colony to go to Alice?

District303aPastPlayer
12-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Something doesn't add up to me. The Colony is a good school in a great part of the metroplex. Not known for its athletic accomplishments.... but to leave The Colony to go to Alice?

he had wanted to get back down south since he went up north. he wasnt much of a fan of it... and i dont blame him... personally, i think the small town atmosphere of south texas is a lot more special... but thats just me...

kepdawg
12-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by VWG

Any move to get out of The Colony is a good move! Coach Davis was not the popular choice when he was hired. The school is not that good; the city itself is horrible. I don't know why anyone with a chance to get out would choose to stay!

District303aPastPlayer
12-29-2004, 03:16 AM
well... i guess that means Sinton vs. Alice will be coming soon. . .

VWG
12-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Any move to get out of The Colony is a good move! Coach Davis was not the popular choice when he was hired. The school is not that good; the city itself is horrible. I don't know why anyone with a chance to get out would choose to stay!

The school isn't that good?
You mean athletics wise, right?

kepdawg
12-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by VWG
The school isn't that good?
You mean athletics wise, right?

I would not want my children to attend The Colony High School. I make that statement with no consideration to the athletic progam.