PDA

View Full Version : Weather Experts

Astrosdawg07
12-25-2004, 12:42 PM
You weather experts out there, I gotta a queston for you. Here in Jasper it seems like we always miss the snow, rain, ect.... Could the lake have anything to do with that? I'm wondering if there is a pressure or something like that?????/ HELP ME!!!

sinton66
12-25-2004, 12:44 PM
How far inland are you from the coast? This snow just happened along a line about 75 miles from the coast. The moisture came from the southwest and hit the cold front from what it sounds like.
Victoria and Cuero got snow, but San Antonio didn't.

football4life
12-25-2004, 12:45 PM
i wouldnt think a lake would have anything to do with it. i watch the 'ol weather channel often, and they always talk about the snow coming off of the great lakes. "Lake effect" snow they call it. i would call it bad luck in your case.

Astrosdawg07
12-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
How far inland are you from the coast? This snow just happened along a line about 75 miles from the coast. The moisture came from the southwest and hit the cold front from what it sounds like.
Victoria and Cuero got snow, but San Antonio didn't.

Well we're about 70 miles from Beaumont, but I'm not real sure close they are to the coat. But about 10 minutes from Lake Sam Rayburn. One of the largest lakes in Texas:D .

Port_town_texas
12-25-2004, 02:05 PM
BMT is about 30-35 miles from the coast. You would think of all places to get snow Jasper would be one of those places.

SintonFan
12-25-2004, 07:14 PM
I dogged Dale Nelson all week about his forcast. Man was I wrong. I wonder if his "lake effect snow" mention from Tuesday or Wednesday was actually talking about the coastal effect here. Many of us laughed when we heard he mentioned it(me included).

My brother drove from Goliad this afternoon and he said they had around a foot there last night. Their toy rat terrier dissapeared when he went to the bathrooom(literally cuz his bro-in-law threw him in the drift :() I wonder if anyone makes a snow guage and if anyone has one down here?

Astrosdawg07
12-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Port_town_texas
BMT is about 30-35 miles from the coast. You would of all places to get snow Jasper would be one of those places.

Unfortunately not,:(

sinton66
12-25-2004, 09:57 PM
The moisture hugged the coastline this time, I don't know why you haven't had snow other times.

Astrosdawg07
12-26-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
The moisture hugged the coastline this time, I don't know why you haven't had snow other times.

I don't know, but it's a damn shame!!!

D. R. Hooks
12-26-2004, 09:55 AM

Yep, the storm track happened to go right through South Texas. It was a classic heavy snow set up like we usually get up here: cold Arctic air surged all the way down the Texas Coast, and temps and thicknesses supported frozen precip all the way to the surface. Behind the cold air, a small, compact, but well organized, vigorous mid-level storm moved across the cold air. These coma-head type convective storms can go from nothing to a 6-12 snow burst in hours. When you get these convective snows, the snowfall rate is intense, and the ground temps have little affect on them as the snow falls quicker than the base layer can melt. The mid level storm center can take any path over the cold air, and had it travelled 100 miles farther north, then Austin, Huntsville and Jasper would have received the foot of snow. Normally, this storm would have produced moderate to heavy rain over South Texas, however, Arctic air has surged atypically far south. I noticed the forecasters in South Texas way under forecast this event, but how often do they see Arctic air make it to the Gulf? Up here, it would be as easier forecast!

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

NSUTrumpet08
12-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
Yep, the storm track happened to go right through South Texas. It was a classic heavy snow set up like we usually get up here: cold Arctic air surged all the way down the Texas Coast, and temps and thicknesses supported frozen precip all the way to the surface. Behind the cold air, a small, compact, but well organized, vigorous mid-level storm moved across the cold air. These coma-head type convective storms can go from nothing to a 6-12 snow burst in hours. When you get these convective snows, the snowfall rate is intense, and the ground temps have little affect on them as the snow falls quicker than the base layer can melt. The mid level storm center can take any path over the cold air, and had it travelled 100 miles farther north, then Austin, Huntsville and Jasper would have received the foot of snow. Normally, this storm would have produced moderate to heavy rain over South Texas, however, Arctic air has surged atypically far south. I noticed the forecasters in South Texas way under forecast this event, but how often do they see Arctic air make it to the Gulf? Up here, it would be as easier forecast!

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

I couldn't agree with you more...sometimes i wish that I would have gone to Texas A&M to pursue a Meteorology Degree. I love weather and I've always wanted to be a storm chaser and see tornadoes! Also, i wanted to track hurricanes. Yeah...

spiveyrat
12-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
I couldn't agree with you more...sometimes i wish that I would have gone to Texas A&M to pursue a Meteorology Degree. I love weather and I've always wanted to be a storm chaser and see tornadoes! Also, i wanted to track hurricanes. Yeah...

You're only a freshman, right? Change your major. Much easier now than later!

Even with Sam Rayburn's massive size, I sincerely doubt it has much effect on your weather. Not nearly the size as the Great Lakes. The gulf has more influence.