PDA

View Full Version : State Championships Outdraw DI-A Bowl....

Manck
12-24-2004, 03:23 AM
From the DMN website : "Playing in the final game of his college career, battered Cincinnati quarterback Gino Guidugli made a big difference as the Bearcats dominated Marshall, 32-14, in front of a cold crowd of 13,204 in Thursday's PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl"

Est attendances at Texas State Championships
Marshall/Ennis - 29,500
Southlake Carroll/Smithson Valley - 26,955
Kilgore/Lincoln - 20,000
Gilmer/Jasper - 16,000

Those are just the ones that I could find in about 3 minutes of research. A little pitiful if I do say so myself. Maybe Fort Worth isn't the most exotic place in the world to hold an outdoor game in the middle of December. Maybe Amon Carter Field was FROZEN! Or maybe PlainsCapital could work on marketing.

TXMike
12-24-2004, 06:37 AM
They had sold a reported 28,000 tickets. Under the circumstances I can understand all the no-shows. Roads were potentially dangerous, sitting outside in those conditions would have not been much of a treat, and let's face it...these were not 2 marquee teams.

I suspect many of the "sold" tickets were bought by companies who gave them away. And when you have a free ticket, you are not as likely to brave the conditions to go see the game.

3afan
12-24-2004, 07:58 AM
plus - the Marshall/Ennis crowd was a combo Gilmer/Snyder crowd ... once the first game was over 2/3 of the people were gone so to say 29,500 were there to see Marshall/Ennis is kind of deceiving. but that WAS the announced attendance ...

and of course Mike is right about the FW Bowl matchup ... ugly. i think SMU/Baylor have have drawn more folks.

well, maybe not ..... :doh:

YBS
12-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Also,

If I was even an above average fan of Marshall or Cincinnati I wouldn't drive from West Virginia or Ohio to Ft. Worth to see two 6-5 teams go at it :eyetwitch

Phil C
12-24-2004, 02:02 PM
That is right. The weather conditions last night were much more hazardess and dangerous.