PDA

View Full Version : Pass Interference

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 01:50 PM
To me, pass interference is going to ruin pro football because it is so subjective---calls are inconsistent and so major in their impact on game situations. Here's my solution---do away with pass interference altogether. Let the receivers have the right to separate from DB's by "pushing off" or knocking down DB's, and let DB's have the right to bump-and-run with the receiver anytime. Of course, there would still be no "holding" by either player or taking the head off a defenseless receiver by DB's. If this change was implemented, we could get away from the endless controversial, season-changing, inconsistent, pass interference calls we now endure and the players could "play" the game. At the very least, they should make pass interference a 15-yard penalty, just like in college. There, now I feel all better......

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I think they should make college and HS football pass int penalties just like in pro, you get the ball where the penalty occured at. And in pro they should get rid of that "no touching past 5 yard" rule they implemented this year.

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
I think they should make college and HS football pass int penalties just like in pro, you get the ball where the penalty occured at. And in pro they should get rid of that "no touching past 5 yard" rule they implemented this year.

Just can't go with that, Holmes. Why give either team a "death penalty" on a call when you don't know if the receiver would have caught the ball or it was even catchable. The penalty doesn't suit the infraction---it is far too major to give the ball at the point of the foul. It can affect the outcome of the game too majorly, with maybe a team's whole season ending on such a call. Hitting another player with your fist only gets 15 yds. and ejection---not potentially up to 50-60 yards.

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
What if it's team "A"s ball on their own 30 with a few seconds left to win the game, and they throw a hail mary. The team "b" CB is getting beat so instead of knocking the ball down he rips down the WR at the 5 yard line just as he is about to catch the ball. Do you think its fair that instead of a potential score to win the game team get the ball back but only on their own 45?

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
What if it's team "A"s ball on their own 30 with a few seconds left to win the game, and they throw a hail mary. The team "b" CB is getting beat so instead of knocking the ball down he rips down the WR at the 5 yard line just as he is about to catch the ball. Do you think its fair that instead of a potential score to win the game team get the ball back but only on their own 45?

In college and high school, I think it would be more fair to change the rule to give the passing team the ball on the other team's 20 with a first down, if the foul was committed inside the 20---and I wouldn't even like that change.

In the pros--my solution of no pass interfence would take care of the situation in your scenario. It is the job of the receiver to get the separation necessary to make the catch at the 5, and keep the DB from getting in position to "rip" him.