PDA

View Full Version : "Hot" Christmas Gifts This Year

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
What are some of the "hottest" Christmas gifts this year? I don't many of the specifics, but I can tell you some generalities, IMHO:

Women generally like anything romantic, personal, or decorative and tend to like home appliances, exercise equipment and such , a lot less.

Men tend to like anything "useful" such as tools or electronics, and tend to like things like cologne or clothing less.

Kids are thrilled with most anything, and teenagers like electronic games, especially the new ones.

Now, I don't want to sound like I am one of those who doesn't appreciate each and every gift they receive, because I do, and truly believe it's the thought that counts. It's just that I believe that everybody has those gift wishes that they secretly have and don't always express.

What do you like, and what are some of the "specific" hot gift ideas this year? I need to know in a hurry.

VWG
12-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Plasma TV's

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Contrary to popular belief, I actually do like some types of appliances - vacuum, mixer & that kind of stuff. I also like romantic gifts...cologne or jewelry. Books of my favorite authors are always good.

My kids (10, 13 & 19) like video games, cd players, scooters, etc. The oldest (I hate to admit) has turned into somewhat of a nerd & asked for a couple of informational type books.

Hubby - he likes most anything "manly" (Tim "the tool man" Taylor-type), electronic and music related.

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Plasma TV's

Uh, yeah, that'd be nice. :D

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
"Contrary to popular belief, I actually do like some types of appliances - vacuum, mixer & that kind of stuff."

Dang--you're such a "keeper" LHP Mom. Now, if you only like to hunt and fish, cook BBQ, and drink beer--I already know you "love" sports.

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, I'll leave hunting & fishing to the guys. But I do like to cook barbeque. Beer? Well, I'd prefer a margarita, but if beer's all there is, I like Coors Light. :D

SintonFan
12-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I know this is not much help but I really wanted a five peice power cordless power tool power set. Gotta have the drill, sander, circular saw and more.

SintonFan
12-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, I'll leave hunting & fishing to the guys. But I do like to cook barbeque. Beer? Well, I'd prefer a margarita, but if beer's all there is, I like Coors Light. :D
Bless you LHPM...http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/traurig/sad-smiley-002.gif

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I know this is not much help but I really wanted a five peice power cordless power tool power set. Gotta have the drill, sander, circular saw and more.

But does your wife know how to pick them out? ;)

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Bless you LHPM...

:D Hubby drinks Shiner Bock....blyek!

SintonFan
12-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
But does your wife know how to pick them out? ;)
Not really, but I know how to point...;)

3afan
12-23-2004, 11:20 AM
G-I-F-T C-E-R-T-I-F-I-C-A-T-E-S !!!!!!!!!!

the best is American Express 'cause it can be used anywhere !!!

AP Panther Fan
12-23-2004, 11:22 AM
My kids (this year) have made it fairly simple for me. The gifts aren't too large in size and require no assembly!:thumbsup:

Son wants a rifle, daughter wants the mini ipod and my youngest daughter wants the new Nintendo DS.

I personally always like things that are made of leather .... jacket, purse, wallet, belt, shoes etc... I love to read so books are always a good choice as well.

As for the husband, I NEVER KNOW what to get him!:(

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Digital cameras are a hot gift this year, along with the ipods (Although I don't know why people would pay that much when you can get a regular mp3 player for $75)

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 11:41 AM
I know you can't find one of the new, thin PS2's anywhere. I tried unsuccessfully--everywhere.

SintonFan
12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
You mean Nintendo SP?
They sold out a few days after they they came out Nov. 21st.

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 11:51 AM
You mean Nintendo SP?

Yea that one is hard to find, also. I was looking for the new "thin" profile PS2 by Sony for my son---they are gone also.

NSUTrumpet08
12-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Gift cards are also very popular this year for some reason...all i want is some money and a nice high-end box of basketball cards...preferably a hobby box...

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 12:00 PM
You mean Nintendo SP?
It's the Nintendo DS, two different things :D

AP Panther Fan
12-23-2004, 12:01 PM
You mean Nintendo SP?

Are these the consoles that hook up to the tv?

The Nintendo DS is more like a game boy advance with 2 screens. Haven't played with it yet, but the bottom screen is touch- interactive.

LOL....I may have more fun with it than the daughter.:D

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 12:07 PM
The nintendo DS and gameboy SP don't hook up to the TV

The nintendo DS is probably what you son/daughter wants since its the newest one.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2004/01/13/h-103_19850_gbaspfami.jpg.jpg

Gameboy SP

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Borman/PSP/PICT0198.jpg

The one on the left is the nintendo DS and the one on the right is the Sony PSP(which isn't in stores yet)

Ranger Mom
12-23-2004, 12:16 PM
My kids didn't ask for one electronic thing this year.....or any games to go with what they already have for that fact.

They banded together and kept their mouths shut hoping for more cash than anything.

As far as powertools go, I am the one that owns all the power tools in my house. When we got married, I think he owned a power drill, now we have all kinds of "toys".

He says he's probably the only one whose wife bypasses the flooring/lighting/paint section and heads directly to "power tools" when we go to Home Depot! (I doubt that very seriously, but I let him think that, because for some reason it makes him proud)!:D

Last year I got an electric cement mixer and I was SOOOO happy! Sure made all the cement pouring we did this summer alot easier!!

spiveyrat
12-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
Digital cameras are a hot gift this year, along with the ipods (Although I don't know why people would pay that much when you can get a regular mp3 player for $75)

But a regular $75 mp3 player doesn't have a 20 GB capacity, either. More like 128 MB.

AP Panther Fan
12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
the one on the right is the Sony PSP(which isn't in stores yet)

Silly question, but if it isn't in stores yet, how do you have a picture of one? :p

AP Panther Fan
12-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Last year I got an electric cement mixer and I was SOOOO happy! Sure made all the cement pouring we did this summer alot easier!!

You crack me up! My husband would appreciate you as well! :D

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Silly question, but if it isn't in stores yet, how do you have a picture of one? :p
It's the japan version

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My kids didn't ask for one electronic thing this year.....or any games to go with what they already have for that fact.

They banded together and kept their mouths shut hoping for more cash than anything.

As far as powertools go, I am the one that owns all the power tools in my house. When we got married, I think he owned a power drill, now we have all kinds of "toys".

He says he's probably the only one whose wife bypasses the flooring/lighting/paint section and heads directly to "power tools" when we go to Home Depot! (I doubt that very seriously, but I let him think that, because for some reason it makes him proud)!:D

RM, you sound a lot like my wife---she can do it all from laying tile and flooring to upholstering furniture. I am the "rip and tear out" guy and she is the "put back and make pretty" gal. I don't paint or wallpaper, however---last time I tried that, my wife said I sounded like Donald Duck on "speed".

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
But a regular $75 mp3 player doesn't have a 20 GB capacity, either. More like 128 MB.
Well I guess if you have 4,000 songs then spending $250 is the right thing for you.

Ranger Mom
12-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
RM, you sound a lot like my wife---she can do it all from laying tile and flooring to upholstering furniture. I am the "rip and tear out" guy and she is the "put back and make pretty" gal. I don't paint or wallpaper, however---last time I tried that, my wife said I sounded like Donald Duck on "speed".

Hehe....I think me and your wife would get along just fine. When I got remarried, I moved into the house my husband built. I have since then:

1. Put new floor in kitchen - alone
2. Cut carpet away from fireplace and laid marble - alone
3. Dyed the carpet, cause I don't want new til the kids are gone - alone
4. Painted every room in the house, including a huge jungle mural on my daughters wall. - alone
5. Upholstered my couch and ottoman - alone
6. Enclosed garage and made another bedroom - I let hubby help
7. Got smart and carpeted the above with carpet samples (they get dirty, I just rip it up and lay another one):D - alone
8. Built a pond and waterfall in the backyard (will upgrade on that this summer) - alone
9. Poured 3 separate patios - hubby helped
10. Dig a hole and put our pool in it. - hubby helped
11. Built deck around the pool - hubby helped
12. Built and installed desk to length of wall in office - both!

3afan
12-23-2004, 12:57 PM
will you come to my house for a week? ell expenses paid ?!?!?!? :cool:

VWG
12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
will you come to my house for a week? ell expenses paid ?!?!?!? :cool:

After she's done at your place.. I'm next! LOL

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I know you can't find one of the new, thin PS2's anywhere. I tried unsuccessfully--everywhere.
I heard those are really hard to find, if you son/daughter doesn't already have a ps2 just get a regular size one. They are exatcly the same except for the size and the online adapter is intergrated.

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I heard those are really hard to find, if you son/daughter doesn't already have a ps2 just get a regular size one. They are exatcly the same except for the size and the online adapter is intergrated.

Thanks Holmes, but unfortunately it has to be the NEW model--they got all the old ones already. Picky, picky, spoiled rotten kids......

Holmes_Fans
12-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Just get a regular size one, take it out of the box and get a silver sharpie. Then write "PSTwo" (thats the official name of it) across the top of it. They will never know the difference:D

Bullaholic
12-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Just get a regular size one, take it out of the box and get a silver sharpie. Then write "PSTwo" (thats the official name of it) across the top of it. They will never know the difference:D

I'd do it in a second if I thought i could get away with it, Holmes. This particular "kid" I'm talking about is my 33 year-old son.