PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

Bullaholic
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I've had various digital cameras, mostly small ones, for a while now. About a year ago I decided I wanted to go higher end, so I bought a used Olympus E-10. It's 4MP and has a lot of features, but it is older technology compared to the models currently being offered. The only problem I've had is getting the built-in flash to provide enough light in poor lighting conditions. To help with this problem, I bought a larger, inexpensive, "dumb" flash unit which fits the "shoe" on the E-10. The problem has been to experiment with as many manual settings as possible to get the 3rd party "dumb" flash and the camera to work together to give good lighting in most situations. I'm finally getting there after much trial and error. I know I could "spring" for a more expensive "smart" flash which would auto-sync the camera and the flash, but I'm thinking of re-investing again in a more comtemporary unit like a Canon Digital Rebel and some lenses.
Anyhow, I recommend digital cameras highly for getting a lot of shots which you can readily edit or upload to family and friends on the Internet. What do you use---I know several on here have taken some really great shots at football games and M&G's. I am the world's worst photographer, so any ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ranger Mom
12-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Mine is a cheapy that came with my printer...it has 3.1 megapixels...it does okay for what I use it for.

My mom just bought a Sony that has 5.1 megapixels...I didn't know how "limited" mine was until I used hers.

Bullaholic
12-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Mine is a cheapy that came with my printer...it has 3.1 megapixels...it does okay for what I use it for.

My mom just bought a Sony that has 5.1 megapixels...I didn't know how "limited" mine was until I used hers.

You seem to do just great RM--I've really enjoyed the pics you have provided of yourself and other Dlow'ers

BTW---those of you who haven't had a chance to review all the digital pics in the "T" shirt sticky thread, should do so--you'll get to see some great pics of a lot of our favorite Downlow members, and be able to put a face with a user name.

NSUTrumpet08
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Aren't digital cameras the greatest? I have a Kodak EasyShare DX4530. It's 5.0 megapixels and it has a built in movie feature with sound. I bought a cheap 128 megabyte memory card at Wal-Mart when it was on sale for $15...it's nice...

I also recommend people getting a digital camera; doesn't have to be fancy like mine. But i still get the pictures i want printed at Wal-Mart...lol...

TXMike
12-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I've had various digital cameras, mostly small ones, for a while now. About a year ago I decided I wanted to go higher end, so I bought a used Olympus E-10. It's 4MP and has a lot of features, but it is older technology compared to the models currently being offered. The only problem I've had is getting the built-in flash to provide enough light in poor lighting conditions. To help with this problem, I bought a larger, inexpensive, "dumb" flash unit which fits the "shoe" on the E-10. The problem has been to experiment with as many manual settings as possible to get the 3rd party "dumb" flash and the camera to work together to give good lighting in most situations. I'm finally getting there after much trial and error. I know I could "spring" for a more expensive "smart" flash which would auto-sync the camera and the flash, but I'm thinking of re-investing again in a more comtemporary unit like a Canon Digital Rebel and some lenses.
Anyhow, I recommend digital cameras highly for getting a lot of shots which you can readily edit or upload to family and friends on the Internet. What do you use---I know several on here have taken some really great shots at football games and M&G's. I am the world's worst photographer, so any ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One option re the flash is to get a remote "slave" flash. They are pretty cheap and are nothing more than a bright flash bulb (powered by 2 AA batteries) and a sensor. The sensor "sees" your camera flash going off and blasts itself off. This will work fine for stationary subjects where you can get close to the subject and place the "slave" unit there.

As you obviously know, flash power drops off geometrically the farther the subject is from the camera. Nothing you can do about that, it is a law of nature. Most cheap cameras cannot accept high end flash units that put out more power so you have to either get closer to the subject or get some additional light on the subject (i.e. the "slave" flash.

I use a Nikon D-1 and a Sony Mavica.

If you go with the "slave" flash you will definitely need to experiment cause they can cause some harsh shadows if not positioned properly. Some of that can be alleviated by using multiple "slaves"

LH Panther Mom
12-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
Aren't digital cameras the greatest? I have a Kodak EasyShare DX4530. It's 5.0 megapixels and it has a built in movie feature with sound. I bought a cheap 128 megabyte memory card at Wal-Mart when it was on sale for $15...it's nice...

I also recommend people getting a digital camera; doesn't have to be fancy like mine. But i still get the pictures i want printed at Wal-Mart...lol...

Sheesh! My hubby outdid you. I'm not sure exactly which camera he bought recently, but I know it was a Kodak with video capability. BUT.....he also bought a printer that hooks onto the camera so he can print at will. Men and their toys.....:rolleyes:

PPHSfan
12-22-2004, 06:47 PM
I have bought several high end ones. But my favorite still today is my Sony Mavica FD-95.

It has a 35mm lens on the front so you can put any zoom or fliter you want on it.

It also takes fantastic pictures.