PDA

View Full Version : When a Football Coach doesn't support BAsketball with the same attitude, does this...

cunbed10
12-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Affect your whole program? I have been apart of, and witnessed the struggles that a Basketball Coach, and a Football Coach have with the Do's and Dont's. In small school 3A,2A,1A, and 6Man most of the time your Kids on the Gridiron play Basketball, this causes problems. The AD or the Head Football Coaches at these small schools often have problems when a coach opens up the Gym in the Summer time, or during football season, but the biggest myth is The Basketball program takes kids interest out of football, well that's not true I've coach little Dribblers in Marlin, and pee wee football in Marlin, and right now at this moment every small kid in Marlin wants to be Tank Smith, so the football interest will be there in years to come. My problem is this,if a kid that is an exceptional athelete doesn't want to play football that's that kid's peragative(sp?) I was a decent CB from 7-10 grade luv all sports, but my frame at that time was smaller than the average 8 grader in Marlin and at Houston MacArthur, I choose not to play Football after two-a-days (sophmore year) our QB (my best) friend at the time decided not to play also, (although he had the physical attributes) this caused problems for Head Coaches of Basketball (Leo Green) and Head Football Coach(Tom Bagby) at Marlin and at HOuston MacArthur Head Football coach the late (Bob Alpert) BAsketball (Martin Caiser). At the Houston School it wasn't much of a problem because it was AAAAA and you may have one athelete or two if they are truly blessed, to come from the gridiron to the hardwood. Marlin was a different story all good atheletes in Marlin are well known and play both sports, so if one quits one sport(Football) to concentrate on Basketball, for whatever reason, it's going to be a problem this has got to stop I have kids coming up through the system and for the most part everyone luvs every sport, but if my child will be singled out because he makes a decision, it won't be happy times in Marlin, I want us to excell in all areas, and sports, not just Football, and if we put into our other sports what we put into football, ie.., practices, money, and Good coaching we will excell in every sports, we need UNity, not bickering.

olddawggreen
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Basketball and Baseball seem to always fall short on support at our school (My opinion). While Im not a big basketball fan, I am a big baseball fan. Baseball is always given less priority than offseason football and tract. I dont think I can remember ever seeing any of our Administrators, School Board Members (Well, maybe one) or the AD at a baseball game the last couple of years. Thats just the way it is, unless maybe your AD has a son that plays baseball. :confused:

middleagecardinal
12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
When I was in highschool at a (at the time) 3a school, the AD was the head basket ball coach. The attention the basketball program received hurt the turnout for football. We had so few kids playing football that everyone was on varsity. Not enough for JV or Freshman teams. It's hard to compete that way.

AP Panther Fan
12-22-2004, 09:32 AM
We have the same problem in AP. Moreso, with baseball than basketball. It is underappreciated and we really have a good team.

The AD in the past has forced his football players to continue with off-season training rather than switching over to baseball practices until right before the season begins. Kind of puts some of our kids at a disadvantage and IMO is not very fair to the kids or the program.

BlueBlood
12-22-2004, 09:49 AM
I haven't seen this as a problem at Barbers Hill. I think the AD is supportive of all programs. But then again, we are getting pretty big. "5A in ten years"

jason
12-22-2004, 09:54 AM
there is no way a coach can MAKE you stay in offseason and skip another practicce....the kids just need to step up and go the the practice that they want to be at.....i know that after my freshman year, there were about a dozen of us who, when called about picking up pads during the summer, said we were NOT playing football, and the coaches tried to change our minds, but they eventually got over it...the kids just gotta get tough and realize they can stand up to the coaches....IMO...

AP Panther Fan
12-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jason
there is no way a coach can MAKE you stay in offseason and skip another practicce....the kids just need to step up and go the the practice that they want to be at.....i know that after my freshman year, there were about a dozen of us who, when called about picking up pads during the summer, said we were NOT playing football, and the coaches tried to change our minds, but they eventually got over it...the kids just gotta get tough and realize they can stand up to the coaches....IMO...

Our kids were told if they went to baseball and not off-season ... they would not be on the football team. Believe me, it upset alot of us last year and if it happens again, I won't take it (or allow my son to take it) sitting down.

I truly think the AD and coaches should be supporting all of the athletic programs equally ....IMO...

District303aPastPlayer
12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Our basketball team is real good... we arent AP or West Oso, but we are good.... we get some good support, but i will be honest...i dont go to the games... mainly because i dont know when they are, home vs. away...

AP Panther Fan
12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Our basketball team is real good... we arent AP or West Oso, but we are good.... we get some good support, but i will be honest...i dont go to the games... mainly because i dont know when they are, home vs. away...

Aaron ... even I have the Sinton schedule. You can get it from the Caller Times. Ruined that excuse for ya....:D

You can also look at the records so far for the teams in our area (except Goliad, I think). Goliad, you can get on the Victoria Advocate.

BIGGBROTHER
12-22-2004, 11:50 AM
In my opinion it effects the entire school
any one teacher or coach that downplays an event,class,or team does not promote their school and is trying to hard to make something of nothing. Im from hutto were football is at best mediocre and basketball has had a few days in the sun and baseball has had a good run. It use to be you could do all activities even to the point were you were missing alot of class time yet due to changes in policy if you want to play football you cannot be in the band marching or concert. I could go on but its a moot point. Football is king in texas and everything else is 2nd and 3rd string. All i can really say is if you have a good athletic director,principle and faculty the kids have a greater chance of becoming champions in anything. Support is the base of dedication and those dedicated to be the best.

Hupernikomen
12-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
I haven't seen this as a problem at Barbers Hill. I think the AD is supportive of all programs. But then again, we are getting pretty big. "5A in ten years"

I think BH is a good example of what happens when the community is excited about winning everything. This makes more kids want to play sport..so there are a lot more athletes to go around. There are a few very good ones that only play their sport, but it doesn't seem to affect the other programs because of the sheer number of kids that are participating in each sport at all levels.

Phil C
12-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Aaron ... even I have the Sinton schedule. You can get it from the Caller Times. Ruined that excuse for ya....:D

You can also look at the records so far for the teams in our area (except Goliad, I think). Goliad, you can get on the Victoria Advocate.

Actually AP you can't even go by that. I have gotten to where I will probably just go to district games which are dependable. We were supposed to have a game Monday night according to the schedule but when I arrived no cars, no buses and the gym was closed up. There are cancellations and changes. I went to a volleyball game that was supposed to be in Sinton according to the schedule and come to find out the game was in Gonzales.
I liked to support the teams early in the year so I can say I was with them in the beginning but things like that make it practical to wait for district when things are dependable. Gasoline prices are still high you know. :)
One time (two years ago I think) I talked my boss into going to a scheduled basketball game in Odem but there was no one at the gym (the game had been cancelled at the last minute). Then we went by the Sinton gym thinking maybe we were wrong where it was played but it too was vacant. Fortunately I got off the hook the next day when I showed the boss the schedule and that I had acted in good faith. We were sure glad the game was supposed to be in Odem and not Cuero or Floresville. :)

AP Panther Fan
12-22-2004, 12:10 PM
So far, I have only gone to home games but you can be sure I would be really mad if I drove out of town to find that a game had been cancelled or re-scheduled.

Why do they do this? Is it the sheer number of games and tournaments? They would never dream of doing this in football, but then again in football, it is one game a week and always on a Friday night for us.

VWG
12-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I think BH is a good example of what happens when the community is excited about winning everything. This makes more kids want to play sport..so there are a lot more athletes to go around. There are a few very good ones that only play their sport, but it doesn't seem to affect the other programs because of the sheer number of kids that are participating in each sport at all levels.

Good point. I would say this is true in several schools that I am familiar with. Decatur is having success in football, their basketball is competitive, and their baseball program is good.
Abilene Wylie has a good all around sports program, so does Graham, Canyon, Iowa Park, Lubbock Cooper, etc....
I would also venture to say that the schools I have mentioned have a number of kids that might be two sport athletes. For example, I know of several kids who might only play Football and Baseball, or Basketball and Golf, or Basketball and Baseball, and so on.
I know one parent whose kid chose sports that didn't have cross over seasons so that he could concentrate on that sport during the season.
Now... making kids attend offseason over sport of their choice is ridiculous. That is truly a "football town".

DOGFAN
12-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Abilene Wylie definitely has a problem with the Basketball coach benching talented athletes from football. He seems to be not quite as bad this year but its too little too late because a lot of football players won't even come out for basketball now. I have a strong suspision that off-season basketball parents pressure him into staying loyal to their kids and not replacing them with more talented football players.

LH Panther Mom
12-22-2004, 04:45 PM
We are very fortunate. Our programs are treated equally. Kids are encouraged to participate in more than one sport, but are not discouraged if they choose to only participate in one.

AP Panther Fan
12-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We are very fortunate. Our programs are treated equally. Kids are encouraged to participate in more than one sport, but are not discouraged if they choose to only participate in one.

Just a question, since I know LH has both a strong football and basketball program, do you have many players that do both?

injuredinmelee
12-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by DOGFAN
Abilene Wylie definitely has a problem with the Basketball coach benching talented athletes from football. He seems to be not quite as bad this year but its too little too late because a lot of football players won't even come out for basketball now. I have a strong suspision that off-season basketball parents pressure him into staying loyal to their kids and not replacing them with more talented football players.

Lets see what you get started with that. I aint saying a thing. Im afraid his mom will yell at me again,
"thats my son! Thats my son your talking about!"

injuredinmelee
12-22-2004, 10:50 PM
I also would like to add that it is my opinion that kids should stay competitive all year round. ITs good for them when the real sport comes back around...

CRHSeagle
12-23-2004, 01:48 AM
When i was at Carter Riverside, the basketball coach didnt let the players play football and if the did he wouldnt start them.

injuredinmelee
12-23-2004, 01:57 AM
i thought riverside was one of those schools where if you didnt make the band you had to play football. just kiddin man

CRHSeagle
12-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i thought riverside was one of those schools where if you didnt make the band you had to play football. just kiddin man

theres players there its just the coaching sucked.

DOGFAN
12-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Lets see what you get started with that. I aint saying a thing. Im afraid his mom will yell at me again,
"thats my son! Thats my son your talking about!"

At least you didn't say anything that wasn't true in front of coaches mommy. I guess some people just can't handle the truth.
But, we probably should watch who we sit behind at basketball games now:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Just a question, since I know LH has both a strong football and basketball program, do you have many players that do both?

We generally have 3 or 4 varsity players doing both, possibly more. I know at least one starter that does. Honestly, it's been a couple of years since I've been to a h.s. basketball game. :( We always have a few that play baseball & participate in track at the same time, as well.

The girls basketball team has several that play volleyball - all our starters were in the volleyball playoffs when our first basketball game was played.

GreenMonster
12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Iowa Park not only has many 2 sport athletes but many 3 sport athletes and a few 4 sport athletes as well. I know that Swenson is a 4 sporter Football, Basketball, Track, and Baseball. I believe that we've even had a couple of 5 sport athletes over the years when you throw Powerlifting or Golf into the mix with the big 4. This would not be possible without the coaches cooperating and sharing athletes. It also helps tremendously when the AD not only encourages multisport participation but expects it. Eventhough the AD's job depends on his Football record, every sport contributes to developing the overall skills of a high school age athlete.

cunbed10
12-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I think it should be mandotory for some atheletes to play at least all 3 sports until their Junior year, and then make let them decide what they are good at.