PDA

View Full Version : illeagal or not??

pirate44
12-21-2004, 12:29 PM
why is it illegal to download songs from file sharing software on the internet, but it is legal to check out and read a book from a library? on a similar note, is it illegal to record tv shows on a vcr, or recording songs off a radio with a tape deck (i havent done that in 20 years though)?

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
why is it illegal to download songs from file sharing software on the internet, but it is legal to check out and read a book from a library? on a similar note, is it illegal to record tv shows on a vcr, or recording songs off a radio with a tape deck (i havent done that in 20 years though)?

its illegal to share them... so DLing them isnt a problem, i dont think...

CHS_CG
12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I think that is right.... I think as long as you dont share your files off of whatever program you download from.. you cant get caught! Now if you are downloading off of Kazaa and dont share your files.. sometimes it will be hard for you to get a good recording because some people feel if you arent goin to share your files then they wont share theirs. (pooh pooh heads lol) Other than that i dunno.

CRHSeagle
12-21-2004, 01:01 PM
www.ares.com

no need to share files, plus no spyware or the P2P crap.

BIGGBROTHER
12-21-2004, 01:01 PM
peer to peer is not illegal
file sharing through a broadcast is
like your computer to your freind is ok
over the internet isnt

AP Panther Fan
12-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
on a similar note, is it illegal to record tv shows on a vcr

No, but you do have to know how to use your vcr .... something I never mastered!;)

pirate44
12-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
peer to peer is not illegal
someone gave you the wrong info i believe. peer to peer is illegal

Ranger Mom
12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
I heard buying books at a garage sale or a second hand store is also illegal!

rockdale80
12-21-2004, 01:49 PM
i thought it was only illegal if you were making a profit on it. either way i share songs all the time...have alot of music and movies downloaded. if you need any let me know. i will be glad to send them your way. only because i think it is ridiculous to buy a cd for 20 bucks to get one song that i like.

pirate44
12-21-2004, 01:55 PM
http://mp3.about.com/cs/tipstricks/a/whatslegal.htm

AP Panther Fan
12-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
i thought it was only illegal if you were making a profit on it. either way i share songs all the time...have alot of music and movies downloaded. if you need any let me know. i will be glad to send them your way. only because i think it is ridiculous to buy a cd for 20 bucks to get one song that i like.

Well, now you can go buy a $250 - $300 apple ipod, then go buy music gift cards to download your favorite singles for under a buck a pop.

What???? don't like that idea? :D :D :D

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Well, now you can go buy a $250 - $300 apple ipod, then go buy music gift cards to download your favorite singles for under a buck a pop.

All songs from walmart.com are 88 cents per song.

rockdale80
12-21-2004, 02:55 PM
i have over 3000 songs downloaded. Even at 88 cents a piece that is still alot of money.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-21-2004, 03:20 PM
ok, so the verdict is that kazaa is illegal or not?

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
i have over 3000 songs downloaded. Even at 88 cents a piece that is still alot of money.

$2640 worth! You better take out an insurance policy!!! :D

pirate44
12-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
ok, so the verdict is that kazaa is illegal or not?
very illegal. the problem is when you are busted, they wont sue you for 88 cents per song. they will probably sue you for thousands of dollars in damages. jail time is also likely. it is piracy.

CHS_Grad '85
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I heard buying books at a garage sale or a second hand store is also illegal! I would think that any time the publishing house (record label) doesn't get their cut... it's considered illegal... but I could br wrong...

pirate4state
12-21-2004, 03:39 PM
http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/lisaann/tsmbanghead.gif What about when you sell your books to a Half-price books store??

CHS_Grad '85
12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/lisaann/tsmbanghead.gif What about when you sell your books to a Half-price books store?? If what RM heard is true... then yeah - it's illegal...

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
i kinda see that as a major problem (one of the many) in our country today, i understand people wanting to make money and not be poor and all, but good night, its just one song. its not like these people arent rich as it is. the recording studio's make millions and millions a year, and dont really feel any of the heat. i just think people need to calm down and be happy that people like what they are doing. heres another question, if some one hears a song on the radio or something, and sit down w/ a guitar and play the song from trial and error playing w/ notes and stuff, is that illegal? they havent bought into any copyrights to play the song. therefore the song or chord or sting or notes or whatever its called isnt owned by them, but they figured it out on there own, just like the other guy who made it first. so would that be illegal or not?

TXMike
12-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I heard buying books at a garage sale or a second hand store is also illegal!

I doubt that. Books are different than other things because once you sell it (or give it away), you can no longer use it. If you were to do the same thing with a book that you do with a song on a CD, i.e. copy it and then sell it (the copy), that would be illegal. If I copy all the songs off a CD and then give it to you, or let you have them by letting you take them from my computer hard drive, both of us can then listen.

PPHSfan
12-21-2004, 07:48 PM
I think it is only illegal to sell books that have had the covers torn off of them by the bookstore.

Used books have been sold once to an original buyer who paid the publisher.

Selling used books is not a copywrite infringement. Neither is selling used movies or CD's Tapes etc.

It is when you make a "copy" that you are breaking the law.

Downloading onto your hardrive is a "copy".

Buying a used book or cd, is just free eneterprise.

Holmes_Fans
12-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

You can put "illegally" download music on those. You don't have to pay for their rip off prices

SintonFan
12-21-2004, 08:33 PM
The rediculous thing about buying a CD that has only one good song is just this; noone makes a great CD(or record) anymore. I'd pay $20 for ACDC's Back in Black or many of Garth Brook's CDs. When every song is good on the CD then it's worth it.

rockdale80
12-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The rediculous thing about buying a CD that has only one good song is just this; noone makes a great CD(or record) anymore. I'd pay $20 for ACDC's Back in Black or many of Garth Brook's CDs. When every song is good on the CD then it's worth it.

If these record companies made a cd worth buying I would buy it. For years they ripped me off when I bought a tape or cd for one or two quality songs, so it is my turn to exact revenge. I did read an interesting quote saying that even with the rise of software programs like kazaa and so forth the music industry is still on the rise and making more money than before.

spiveyrat
12-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i understand people wanting to make money and not be poor and all, but good night, its just one song. its not like these people arent rich as it is. the recording studio's make millions and millions a year, and dont really feel any of the heat.

This is like saying stealing just a little bit is ok or stealing from the rich is acceptable.

spiveyrat
12-22-2004, 07:40 AM
If these record companies made a cd worth buying I would buy it. For years they ripped me off when I bought a tape or cd for one or two quality songs, so it is my turn to exact revenge. I did read an interesting quote saying that even with the rise of software programs like kazaa and so forth the music industry is still on the rise and making more money than before.

Revenge? You have totally justified stealing in your own mind, here.

rockdale80
12-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Revenge? You have totally justified stealing in your own mind, here.

if you say so...all i know is i am not going to buy a cd i dont want. and as long as i can download a song for my listening pleasure i dont see anything wrong with that....but way to try to judge someone you dont know....

spiveyrat
12-22-2004, 09:32 AM
You probably see cars on car lots that you would love to have every day. Do you go and just take one? What if you owned a candy store people came in and took a few pieces of candy everyday. Would that be okay with you? You all but admit you are stealing and I am judging you? You practically confessed. This welfare attitude that our society has developed is going to ruin this country. People always think they are owed something. And it appears you think you are owed too.

rockdale80
12-22-2004, 10:00 AM
I guess that is the same welfare attitude that makes me wake up every morning and work 12-15 hours a day. The same attitude that makes me earn my own way and keeps my hands out of anyone else's pockets but mine. I download a song for me to listen to and all of the sudden I am low life scum that is going to mooch this planet into ruins. If you say so buddy. By the way its not illegal. On that note I have to get back to work.

AP Panther Fan
12-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Yikes .... this thread went south! I say we bury it and find happier things to talk about......

pero chato
12-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Another angle to consider in all of this. I have downloaded a song or two from new artists and then went out and bought the entire CD based on what I heard. Sort of like asking for a sample of ice cream at the ice cream shop. An interesting study has found that this is what most people do, and that downloading songs has not hurt the music industry. The drop in cd sales has been attributed to the fact that during the 90's, most of us were replacing our tapes and albums from long ago with new and "remastered" cds. Well we are nearly finished with that process so now we have the drop in cd sales. The other reason I download (although not extensively) is the fact that I can't find obscure stuff on cd or at any outlet, but can find most of it on p2p sites. This is not a good excuse I realize, but it's true. There are some new artists who support file sharing because of the publicity and free advertising they receive. Plus many artists now add a code or enhancement to their cd that enables the customer to receive more music at their web site, and/or offer video along with the music.
The music industry cried doom and gloom 40 years ago when the cassette recorder was introduced and people started taping songs off the FM radio stations and people started borrowing albums from friends and copying them, and yet the industry is still thriving. I think we have the same situation today. File sharing is not going to go away. The music industry needs to keep finding ways to make the customer want to buy the product and not the copy.

spiveyrat
12-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Justify it any way you want. I'm done with this one.

rockdale80
12-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Justify it any way you want. I'm done with this one.

decided to change this....for the sake of being civil....i am done talking about this as well