PDA

View Full Version : What's For Christmas Dinner?

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 11:35 AM
At our house we're going to mix in a little Cajun food this year---chicken, okra, and sausage gumbo and shrimp creole. Of course, there will be turkey and ham with all the goodies also, including pecan pie, all manner of cookies, crab and spinach dips, cheeses, and a Turtle Cheescake from Sam's, a little eggnog with some Wild Turkey mixed in, and a case of Heineken and Corona to finish it off. We'll open a few gifts Christmas Eve, and have the whole family over on Christmas Day to exchange gifts, eat, and have a lot of love together--remembering the reason we celebrate Christmas--the Birth of Jesus Christ, Emmanuel. What do you do for Christmas?

onfirebball05mustang
12-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Same as most every year...New years eve service, open presents with grandparents, parents and an aunt. Then Chrsitmas day 'dinner' at like 3-ham sandwiches, fixins, cookies, holly, haystacks, buckeyeballs, trash mix, summer sausage, lil smokies and many other foods. The eating continues through new years (yikes) and then it's off to mania marathon. Woo Hoo!

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
Same as most every year...New years eve service, open presents with grandparents, parents and an aunt. Then Chrsitmas day 'dinner' at like 3-ham sandwiches, fixins, cookies, holly, haystacks, buckeyeballs, trash mix, summer sausage, lil smokies and many other foods. The eating continues through new years (yikes) and then it's off to mania marathon. Woo Hoo!

What are buckeyeballs? And what mania marathon?

pirate44
12-21-2004, 11:45 AM
at my parents house we are having Lasagna (and there isnt an italian bone in my body except for a love of Sinatra music) and at my inlaws we will be having the typical ham and trimmings.

Ranger Mom
12-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What are buckeyeballs? And what mania marathon?

Are buckeye balls those peanut butter and chocolate things??

I used to make those alot when I was younger!

onfirebball05mustang
12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
that's right mom! they're buckeye balls..balls of peanut butter and other ingredients dipped in chocolate and refridgerated...they're rich, but good. Mania Marathon is an up-all-night lazer tag, bowling, movies and worship with countdown til the new year here in austin---man i can't wait!

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2004, 11:48 AM
What are haystacks...

and it usually consists of going to church... havin dinner... goin home... wakin up.. tearin into presents... and givin thanks

onfirebball05mustang
12-21-2004, 11:50 AM
haystacks are...oh lordy...i believe (it's been a while sine i've looked at the recipe) it's oatmeal dipped in chocolate and peanut butter with other flavorings and ingredients mixed in...they look like little stacks of hay lol

CheerMom
12-21-2004, 11:55 AM
We will begin on Christmas Eve at my in-laws early in the afternoon. After that, it will be on to my sister's house that evening. Christmas Day will start with opening presents and me cooking a huge lunch/dinner (Turkey, ham, dressing, german potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, christmas cookies, divinity, fudge and of course homemade eggnog). It will be an all day eating fest!! And of course, enjoying family and reflecting upon the true meaning of Christmas.

44INAROW
12-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Going to church Christmas Eve, then to mother-in-law's for supper with "that side" of the family. Christmas Day @ noon the gift exchange and , all "my side" will be eating Fried Turkey, Ham, dressing, mashed sourcream potatoes, asparagus casserole, candied sweet potatoes, Sweet Rice, Pea Salad, 7 layer salad, Pecan Pie and my kids favorite, BANANA PUDDING. Oh and of course can't forget all the FOWL. Wild Turkey and Grey Goose.

onfirebball05mustang
12-21-2004, 11:59 AM
wow i'm getting hungry again lol i hope we have green bean salad this year....i have a feeling i may be making it!

AP Panther Fan
12-21-2004, 12:01 PM
haystacks are...oh lordy...i believe (it's been a while sine i've looked at the recipe) it's oatmeal dipped in chocolate and peanut butter with other flavorings and ingredients mixed in...they look like little stacks of hay lol

I think they are kinda nasty...(sorry) but I have friends that make (and eat) them every year.:D

onfirebball05mustang
12-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I think they are kinda nasty...(sorry) but I have friends that make (and eat) them every year.:D

lol...not my favorite either, but it's tradition!

AP Panther Fan
12-21-2004, 12:09 PM
lol...not my favorite either, but it's tradition!

Don't they have some really strange ingredient? Chow mein noodles or something crazy like that?

There are just certain things that don't sound like they go together that I have a hard time eating.........like bread pudding. Whoever thought of putting bread in pudding....yikes....uck.....gross. :D

onfirebball05mustang
12-21-2004, 12:11 PM
i have no clue about chow mein noodles....as far as bread pudding---i agree-ick!:D

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 02:24 PM
At our house we're going to mix in a little Cajun food this year---chicken, okra, and sausage gumbo and shrimp creole. Of course, there will be turkey and ham with all the goodies also, including pecan pie, all manner of cookies, crab and spinach dips, cheeses, and a Turtle Cheescake from Sam's, a little eggnog with some Wild Turkey mixed in, and a case of Heineken and Corona to finish it off. We'll open a few gifts Christmas Eve, and have the whole family over on Christmas Day to exchange gifts, eat, and have a lot of love together--remembering the reason we celebrate Christmas--the Birth of Jesus Christ, Emmanuel. What do you do for Christmas?

Gumbo seems especially good in cold weather. So, this Christmas should be a good time for gumbo. I think that's what we're cooking too.

Gumbo, creole, turkey and ham? If you're having all that food for Christmas... ya'll better start cooking now! That's a LOT of food! How many are you cooking for???

We're spending our Christmas "alone" this year. Just me, my wife, and our two kids.

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Gumbo seems especially good in cold weather. So, this Christmas should be a good time for gumbo. I think that's what we're cooking too.

Gumbo, creole, turkey and ham? If you're having all that food for Christmas... ya'll better start cooking now! That's a LOT of food! How many are you cooking for???

We're spending our Christmas "alone" this year. Just me, my wife, and our two kids.

Spivey....we feed my immediate family, my extended family, and anybody else who can hold a fork and be of good cheer......probably 20 to 25 people.

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 02:30 PM
anybody else who can hold a fork and be of good cheer

What time do WE start??? :D

X21AAAPlayer
12-21-2004, 03:47 PM
For christmas we are replacing the traditional turkey with some seafood gumbo with a ham from mike's! But we're still having sweet potatoes!:):)

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-21-2004, 04:06 PM
well if our Christmas dinner is anything like the one we had on Thanksgiving it will be good, but that eggnogg and wild turkey bullaholic was talking about sure sounds good right about now.

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
well if our Christmas dinner is anything like the one we had on Thanksgiving it will be good, but that eggnogg and wild turkey bullaholic was talking about sure sounds good right about now.

Wonder if we can strain that eggnog out, bullfrog.....

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-21-2004, 04:34 PM
yea i wish man, but its not worth the trouble of having it out here. were not allowed to have a few suds, in our off time, even though the locals drink like fish, it appearently offends them. i think its just another way for "the man" to come down on us...

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 04:53 PM
bullfrog...Are you going to get Christmas leave?

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-21-2004, 04:56 PM
bullfrog...Are you going to get Christmas leave? i wish, i had my 2 weeks of leave back in september. im told i'll get a month when i get out of here though. that will be in april-ish, i think.

setex
12-21-2004, 04:58 PM
http://windsurf.hansanderson.com/photos/2003-Aransas-Triangle/gumbo.jpg

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i wish, i had my 2 weeks of leave back in september. im told i'll get a month when i get out of here though. that will be in april-ish, i think.

Well...I bet there are a bunch of us on here who will make you think you are home for Christmas before it's over, bullfrog. You just tell me what I can help you with, and consider it done......God Bless you for what you are doing everyday for us and America.

Bullaholic
12-21-2004, 05:06 PM
setex....you better hope I never find out your address, because I will look you up and personally account for every bite of that gumbo.....I'm like a stray dog---feed me and I'll be there forever.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Well...I bet there are a bunch of us on here who will make you think you are home for Christmas before it's over, bullfrog. You just tell me what I can help you with, and consider it done......God Bless you for what you are doing everyday for us and America. i think i have everything i need, im still workin on stuff i got from the last care packages from everyone on here. that was ALOT of stuff. i dont really have too much time off but what i do is usually spent at the gym or sleeping or something. but if i think of something ill let you know. thanks bullaholic.