PDA

View Full Version : What's with Lufkin's success?

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 10:40 AM
In the last few years, they have been a very good football team. In the late '80's and early 90's, I can remember Jasper playing them and being able to beat them. We haven' t played them in a while, now. But even if we did, we probably couldn't come close. What's changed in that program?

nutcrackin
12-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Lufkin like Jasper has incredible natural athletes. Speed kills in high school ball..

andy_dufresne
12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
On the surface, without knowing everything, it's a program. I think it's that simple. They've got it rolling since 2000 and haven't looked back. When you have the amazing wealth of athletes they have you WILL be good every year if you've got the right manager. Outlaw knows all and manages all. He has such an amazing power structure around him.

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 11:20 AM
How long has he been there?

andy_dufresne
12-21-2004, 02:14 PM
This is his 9th season.
He has a record of 106-31-1.
Dang good, huh?

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
This is his 9th season.
He has a record of 106-31-1.
Dang good, huh?

I'll say!

9 years? That's probably about the time we quit playing them in the pre-season.

andy_dufresne
12-21-2004, 02:31 PM
It was hard for me to envision LP's fans at the Boneyard when I went there two seasons ago. I guess there's been some bandwaggoners lately, but that's to be expected.

tdsteele
12-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Lufkin (like Jasper) always has really gifted natural athletes. Outlaw has done a great job harnessing and developing that talent. He has the same tenure as Owens at Lee. They both are very similar.

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
It was hard for me to envision LP's fans at the Boneyard when I went there two seasons ago. I guess there's been some bandwaggoners lately, but that's to be expected.

Hmmm, I didn't remember Jasper and Lufkin playing each other that recently. :thinking:

easttexan1
12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Good coaching made the change IMO. Back when Culpepper was coach, he talked a better game than Lufkin could play. Before the first Jasper game, he told the Lufkin Daily News that they had a "warm up" game with Jasper. We beat them. The second year, he said the we "snuck up on them" the prior year, but it wouldn't happen again. We beat them again, with Matt McCall playing. Now, they have a great coach, possibly the best fans in Texas, wonderful players and a lot of discipline. Great combination for great teams.

j_dog
12-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Hmmm, I didn't remember Jasper and Lufkin playing each other that recently. :thinking:
In Jasper's last year in 4a, with our BIG guys, Lufkin canceled the scheduled scrimmage! What a downer! :( Then Beaumont Westbrook canceled, said the "weather" was going to be too bad! Those 5a's wanted no part of Jasper that year! :D

rattlerbb01
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
theres a lot of schools out there with many talented athletes and speed. our trouble for years was getting them to perform well in class and to put the focus on team, not self. when a group of athletes are committed to a program and their teammates, we all know how well they perform.

YBS
12-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I recall playing Lufkin! I had family from there we used to talk trash to. I stopped talking several years back...