PDA

View Full Version : One Year Wonders?

PhiI C
12-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Do you have any to share with us? This are ones who basically had one great year and perhaps no more. One that comes to mind is the Green Bay Super Bowl champion in the 90s and their own general manager called them one year wonders when they lost the super bowl next year. Another could be the BYU national championship team who won in the 80s I think mainly to a soft schedule and the off year of perenial powers such as Nebraska, Miami and Florida at that time. It is not necessarily a negative thing because a lot of teams would love to be one year year wonders. It could be a person or team. The one I have in mind is Ernie Koy Jr. who played at UT in 1962 to 1964. He had injuries that sidelined him in 1962 and 1963 (year UT won National Championship) so basically he had one full healthy year and what a year it was. In 1964 Texas only had a one point loss to Arkansas and defeated Joe Namath and Alabama in the Orange Bowl 21 to 17. He had a fabulous career. He was a double threat with the ball. He was a great power running and also could stop and throw suddenly and he was also a great punter for the Longhorns. A fabulous year indeed.

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Clarett

aforbs19
12-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
One that comes to mind is the Green Bay Super Bowl champion in the 90s and their own general manager called them one year wonders when they lost the super bowl next year.

i dont get how a team can be a one year wonder if they went to the superbowl the next year

VWG
12-21-2004, 08:29 AM
There are probably several stories out there like this one.
My candidate would be Charlie Lott RB from Electra back in the mid-80's. Electra (2A) won state in 1985. Strong team led by Lott who was about 6'3" and 215. Could run like the wind, with power. Tall, lean runner like Eric Dickerson back in the day.
Recruited heavily by the SWC and Big Eight schools, and chose to go to Tech. Never heard about him again after his senior year.......

BullFrog Dad
12-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Mark"The Bird"Fidrych

Phil C
12-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by aforbs19
i dont get how a team can be a one year wonder if they went to the superbowl the next year

I agree but that is what their own general manager, Carmen Policy, called them right after Denver beat them in the super bowl.

aforbs19
12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree but that is what their own general manager, Carmen Policy, called them right after Denver beat them in the super bowl.

i dont think carmen policy was Green Bay's GM, i'm pretty sure it was Ron Wolfe, or somethin like that......i think policy was the redskin's GM at that time

BullFrog Dad
12-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by aforbs19
i dont think carmen policy was Green Bay's GM, i'm pretty sure it was Ron Wolfe, or somethin like that......i think policy was the redskin's GM at that time In the biggest Super Bowl shocker since Super Bowls III and
IV, the Broncos rode the magnificent running of Terrell Davis to
a 31-24 upset of the Packers in a pulsating Super Bowl XXXII.

"We're a one-year wonder, just a fart in the wind," Packers
general manager Ron Wolf said. "Now this will stop all this
idiotic talk about a dynasty. We just got our guts kicked out
here."