PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer.....

JHS_c/o_06'
12-20-2004, 09:27 PM
First of all, amazing game, congradulations, questionable calls...eh...oh well. We will have our revenge(not nessesarly(sp?) on yall), and revenge is a dish best served cold, and its very cold, during december football.

......any way....yall need to freakin change your mascot......with a tag line "black flag defense"....yall need to be the freakin pirates. And witha fan base like that.....black and orange colors....yall really need to be the pirates. Thats not trying to take a stab at yalls tradition or whatever, but when we (the players) got off the bus and made our way to the field....and your whole town was almost there.....and i saw that black flag waving in the wind.....i couldnt get pirates out of my mind....

....watching dodgeball the night before didnt help.....Garrr Peter..:D

Manck
12-20-2004, 09:34 PM
The Black Flag is actually a tradition from the Civil War, and probably other wars. Different colored flags were used as a system of communications. Surely, most of you know that a white flag means surrender. The black flag was a signal that a side, in this case a team, would fight to the death and never surrender.

Gilmer's black flag has the names of opponents that they've defeated in the regular season on one side, and the playoffs on the other.

Also, Gilmer is the ONLY school of any size in the entire country whose mascot is the Buckeyes, outside of The Ohio State University. Somewhere in the school, there is a letter from OSU recognizing this. However, Gilmer has had the Buckeye as a mascot longer. So the change will happen around.......never.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
it was just a thought.....like i said....i wasnt trying to take a stab at anything....i was just telling yall what was going through my mind when i took everything in.

Gilmer Buckeye
12-20-2004, 10:35 PM
I went to the parade and rally on the square tonight in Gilmer. The Buckeyes are ready to play any takers on Christmas Eve, I think. Hundreds of the Army of Buckeyes turned out as well.

The weather's still warm. The team is still pumped. Bring on Abilene Wylie. I am quite sure those West Texas guys don't REALLY want to play another week, though.

I will say this. Jasper is a truly impressive program and I believe the J-Dawgs would beat Abilene Wylie by just as big a margin as Gilmer would. I think it would be great if we could schedule a predistrict "Heart Attack in Nac" with y'all every season.

We played Hemphill a couple of times in 2000 and 2001 at Homer Bryce because our previous coach had scheduled it. I like the setting. And every time we returned, it would remind us of the unforgettable atmosphere surrounding the first "Heart Attack in Nac" game.

Manck is right, as usual. Being the only Buckeyes in Texas is way cool. Plus, we actually have buckeyes growing all over Upshur County. When I was a kid, they used to pin buckeyes on the football ribbons. Whatever happened to football ribbons? Ah, the good old days. I'll take being state champs over bringing back football ribbons any day, though.

Merry Christmas to all the J-Dawgs. Moye is probably gonna bring Jasper a state title before he's through. Keep the faith.

j_dog
12-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
......I will say this. Jasper is a truly impressive program and I believe the J-Dawgs would beat Abilene Wylie by just as big a margin as Gilmer would. I think it would be great if we could schedule a predistrict "Heart Attack in Nac" with y'all every season.
Thanks but Jasper already has a "Heart Attack" scheduled for week zero with WOS! :D And they think they owe us one! :rolleyes: :D

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but there are some ironic parallels between Jasper's opening game against WOS and the final game against Gilmer. Jasper jumped out to a solid lead against WOS and then at the end of the game had to hold off WOS for a 2 point Jasper win. :) This time Jasper fell behind early, and fought furiously to catch up, failing by an identical 2 points. :( Another bit of trivia, both games were T-shirt signing games!

Gilmer, as I have said, your team was awesome!

tdsteele
12-20-2004, 11:41 PM
I'll tell you a tradition that Jasper needs to work on.....getting out of the semis without losing. You think they whined so much when Burnet made a habit out of beating them? Please give me a break. Win a big game and then whine. At least bring a crying towel. They are still whining about Burnet and hoping they move up to 4A.

PS..Jasper, I love your team and plan on watching them again, but give the whining about the refs a break. As a matter of fact, I am now a big fan of the bulldogs, but darn...you are making it BETTER.

j_dog
12-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by tdsteele
.....They are still whining about Burnet and hoping they move up to 4A.

PS..Jasper, I love your team and plan on watching them again, but give the whining about the refs a break. As a matter of fact, I am now a big fan of the bulldogs, but darn...you are making it BETTER.
No problem with Burnet, they have ALREADY moved to 4a! :) But maybe they will come back. We owe them one!

I agree, the refs have been discussed enough for me. Even if they did blow some calls, all the moaning in the world will not change the outcome.