PDA

View Full Version : Early Entry for the Rocket

AggieJohn
12-20-2004, 08:03 PM
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com
Does Roger Clemens have a shot at early entry into the Hall of Fame? (David J. Phillip/AP)

As I understand it, Roger Clemens' main issue about playing in 2005 revolves around the waiting time for Hall of Fame selection. Isn't there some way to petition to give him immediate eligibility after 2005? The only time I remember this happening was in hockey with Wayne Gretzky. Is there any precedent for baseball?
-- Mark F.
Indeed, Clemens' main concern right now is the health of his mother, Bess, who is in her mid-70s and suffering from emphysema. Roger, who lost his dad when he was 9, does not want to, as he put it, "talk to two empty chairs" when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame. The longer he pitches, the longer he has to wait to go into the Hall, as there is a five-year waiting period before a player is eligible.

I asked an executive at the Hall of Fame for a little background information on players who were exempt from this five-year rule, which was implemented in 1954. The most famous exception was made for Roberto Clemente, whose death provoked a rule to be passed that allowed immediate consideration of an eligible candidate who dies while still active, or before the five-year waiting period has elapsed. He was immediately voted into the Hall of Fame following his tragic death in 1972.

Lou Gehrig, who had to retire prematurely when he was diagnosed with a fatal illness, was put into the Hall by a special election in 1939, after the Hall of Fame ceremonies had already taken place. So Gehrig actually did not participate in an induction ceremony.
As you can see, the exemptions have been sparse over the course of history. The Hall of Fame executive gave this response when I asked him about Clemens:

"The BBWAA (Baseball Writers Association of America) would have to implement a rule change or grant a special waiver for the five-year waiting period to be negated, as the Hall of Fame does not control the voting process. As we have an excellent relationship with Roger, we will make any special arrangements that we can to facilitate his requests. Certainly, we understand the importance of his situation, and we are willing to do what we can to be a part of any needs within our control."

But I wouldn't count on an exemption being made for Clemens. I asked a veteran baseball writer and voting member of the BBWAA for his opinion, and he said that while Clemens would certainly merit some consideration in this matter because of the mark he's made in baseball history, making a provision for him could set a precedent that may create issues in the future. By all accounts, the Rocket is probably going to have to wait the five years

Astrosdawg07
12-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com
Does Roger Clemens have a shot at early entry into the Hall of Fame? (David J. Phillip/AP)

As I understand it, Roger Clemens' main issue about playing in 2005 revolves around the waiting time for Hall of Fame selection. Isn't there some way to petition to give him immediate eligibility after 2005? The only time I remember this happening was in hockey with Wayne Gretzky. Is there any precedent for baseball?
-- Mark F.
Indeed, Clemens' main concern right now is the health of his mother, Bess, who is in her mid-70s and suffering from emphysema. Roger, who lost his dad when he was 9, does not want to, as he put it, "talk to two empty chairs" when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame. The longer he pitches, the longer he has to wait to go into the Hall, as there is a five-year waiting period before a player is eligible.

I asked an executive at the Hall of Fame for a little background information on players who were exempt from this five-year rule, which was implemented in 1954. The most famous exception was made for Roberto Clemente, whose death provoked a rule to be passed that allowed immediate consideration of an eligible candidate who dies while still active, or before the five-year waiting period has elapsed. He was immediately voted into the Hall of Fame following his tragic death in 1972.

Lou Gehrig, who had to retire prematurely when he was diagnosed with a fatal illness, was put into the Hall by a special election in 1939, after the Hall of Fame ceremonies had already taken place. So Gehrig actually did not participate in an induction ceremony.
As you can see, the exemptions have been sparse over the course of history. The Hall of Fame executive gave this response when I asked him about Clemens:

"The BBWAA (Baseball Writers Association of America) would have to implement a rule change or grant a special waiver for the five-year waiting period to be negated, as the Hall of Fame does not control the voting process. As we have an excellent relationship with Roger, we will make any special arrangements that we can to facilitate his requests. Certainly, we understand the importance of his situation, and we are willing to do what we can to be a part of any needs within our control."

But I wouldn't count on an exemption being made for Clemens. I asked a veteran baseball writer and voting member of the BBWAA for his opinion, and he said that while Clemens would certainly merit some consideration in this matter because of the mark he's made in baseball history, making a provision for him could set a precedent that may create issues in the future. By all accounts, the Rocket is probably going to have to wait the five years

OLD news, already discussed at Astrosdaily :D

3afan
12-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Clemens isnt special - he can wait just like everyone else.

AggieJohn
12-20-2004, 08:23 PM
but not on 3Adl

Astrosdawg07
12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Here is a PDF of the 05 schedule.

http://img142.exs.cx/img142/2492/astrossched6sn.jpg