PDA

View Full Version : homecoming traditions

spaniard
09-19-2002, 10:35 PM
what are some homecoming traditions out there? i know here in burnet we try and have a bonfire, burn-ban willing. this year the fire was built up pretty stinkin huge, and then last night sometime someone came and burned it all down. all the work and time that all the seniors had put into building this thing was all down the drain. except for that one little thing called unity, which was definitley displayed today as the seniors, with the help of the city of burnet employees, P.E.C. (pedernales electric cooperative), and many other businesses from as far away as austin and round rock, the bonfire was rebuilt bigger and better than before, and the tradition continues on. we dont know for sure who the knuckleheads were that burned it down the first time, but i hope none of the burnet seniors find out, or there will be some trouble. hehe

Chris Hart
09-19-2002, 11:17 PM
I heard about that today Spaniard.I heard about it over in the home of the river rats, if I was a betting man, I would bet the rats are responsible.That rivalry should of been on the rivalry thread, It's a shame they was made to quit playing.I always loved beating Marble Falls.

spaniard
09-19-2002, 11:28 PM
hehe, i loved it in 91 when we beat em to move on in the playoffs. i was just a little kid then, i think i was in 3rd grade. but i remember the harassment i got walking back with my parents to our car bc i was carrying a "GO BURNET" posterboard. there has been so much crap between burnet abd marble falls in the past years its incredible. so much damage to school property and whatnot. im not so sure that the rats were responsible for this one though,i heered down the grapevine that one of the guys from my class was a little whizzed that the seniors this year wouldnt let him and a buddy help build the thing so they came back and torched it. not sure if its true or not, but whoever it was, it stinks that it happened.

Chris Hart
09-19-2002, 11:38 PM
That was the most cherished game in Burnet football history, I know it was for me.

spaniard
09-19-2002, 11:55 PM
same here my friend, same here. good times, and fun was had by all that lived in burnet.

Swarm 51
09-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Gosh, guys, sorry to hear about some no good rats burning the bonfire last night, but glad to hear about your community and those surrounding areas that came through with donations to rebuild another one. Gatesville always has a bonfire providing there is no fire ban. Speaking of rivals, several moons ago when I was at Gatesville High School the Bulldogs from McGregor were our rivals. When I was a senior some of my classmates took it upon themselves to go to McGregor on Thursday night and paint the sidewalk in front of their new high school. Well, since my uncle was principal of GV High at that time guess who the first one was to be called into his office the next morning???? But, I was not in on the vandalism. I knew better. My uncle asked me if I knew who did the painting. I didn't lie and told him the truth I did, but he did not ask me for names and I always respected him even more for not asking me to "rat" on my classmates. He determined their identity and then told them to go get a tooth brush. Once that was done he and another teacher drove them to McGregor and made them get in front of the high school student body to apologize.
Once that was done my classmates then got on hands and knees and removed the paint from the sidewalk. Lesson learned. I have a feeling that should that occur now some parents would whine about the way their child was being treated. Best of luck to Burnet Dawgs Friday night.

spaniard
09-20-2002, 04:39 PM
dang, thats pretty stiff, but i guess it was deserved. some of our guys in the past have caused some pretty extensive damage to the marble falls high school campus and field and whatnot. usually as retaliation to something that those guys did. i do remember one year when burnet was starting to hit the bottom of the wishbones success, we lost to marble falls 42-0 on our homecoming night, and they came and sprayed some kind of poison on our field and sprayed in the shape of "42-0" on the field. so then some of the fb players went and messed up the marble falls sprinkler system. this is only one incident in the long history of the rivalry between us.