PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer's Strength

Comeaux
12-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Gilmer’s strength – the passing game- was almost it’s demise!

When you are ahead you sit on the ball and play ball control. You do not put the ball in the air and risk the turn over.

He who lives by the pass -almost died by the pass.

YBS
12-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Very true statement, BUT their passing game DID win. That 4th quarter passing touchdown on the 15 yard curl was the difference in the game and we never stopped it b/c of miscommunication between the safety and corner. Good game plan Gilmer.

Bullaholic
12-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Comeaux
Gilmer’s strength – the passing game- was almost it’s demise!

When you are ahead you sit on the ball and play ball control. You do not put the ball in the air and risk the turn over.

He who lives by the pass -almost died by the pass.

Yup...you're right Comeaux, Gilmer's just 15-0 with that game plan, so I guess they're gonna have to work on it some....:D

tdsteele
12-20-2004, 01:22 PM
You are right, I could not believe they were trying to get it all back on one play. They should have tried to run it more. By the Gilmer's coach's own comments, they are always a throw first run second offense. Still, I was having a heart attack. Not sure you could sit on the ball against Jasper. What is overlooked is that Jasper does have an excellent D. They were scoring at will so I think that Gilmer thought that the needed to score everytinme they touched the ball.

andy_dufresne
12-20-2004, 01:48 PM
I was a neutral observer and I thought it was really stupid that they threw the ball those last two plays when they did. The refs gifted them that pass inteference call so they got lucky. Very bad decision to pass. I don't care if you're a "pass" team or not. You need to be a smart team.

andy_dufresne
12-20-2004, 01:53 PM
...Also not to mention the time factor in the game. I can't remember the specifics, but I remember doing the math at the time and Gilmer could have marched an extra 30-35 seconds off the clock. I still think they were the better team, just not the best clock mgmt. in the end...

oh well
12-20-2004, 05:28 PM
They are the State Champions/ Dance with the girl that brung ya

itsallheart
12-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Well when you have athletes you can afford to not manage the clock well. Gilmer proved that on saturday. I would love to see a team that Does what Gilmer does then Go to a wish bone offence all in one game. That would be an awesome offence wouldnt it. It would take a lot of time to do that.

JasperDog94
12-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
I was a neutral observer and I thought it was really stupid that they threw the ball those last two plays when they did. The refs gifted them that pass inteference call so they got lucky. Very bad decision to pass. I don't care if you're a "pass" team or not. You need to be a smart team. Glad us Jasper folks aren't the only ones that thought that was a phantom call.:(

Bull's-eye
12-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Sorry, but that play happened right in front of me and it was a good call. My buddy (a former high school official) also said it was pass interference. Gilmer's decision to pass instead of run may appear to be stupid because it didn't work. If they complete the pass for a first down, the game is over. The coach would of been credited with a great call.
Nobody has mentioned Jasper's decision to kick (trailing 42-41) instead of going for 2 points and the lead. Normally you would kick, but Jasper was really struggling with their kicking game. They make that conversion and we have over-time. The way Jasper was playing, I think they would of won.

YBS
12-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by itsallheart
Well when you have athletes you can afford to not manage the clock well. Gilmer proved that on saturday. I would love to see a team that Does what Gilmer does then Go to a wish bone offence all in one game. That would be an awesome offence wouldnt it. It would take a lot of time to do that.

I couldn't imagine Gilmer w/ a wishbone offense. I think you guys are MUCH more talented in your wideouts to have to resort to a wishbone. Plus, I know your QB has crazy speed, but he doesn't seem like the "put his head down and throttle over you" type.

YBS
12-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Sorry, but that play happened right in front of me and it was a good call. My buddy (a former high school official) also said it was pass interference. Gilmer's decision to pass instead of run may appear to be stupid because it didn't work. If they complete the pass for a first down, the game is over. The coach would of been credited with a great call.
Nobody has mentioned Jasper's decision to kick (trailing 42-41) instead of going for 2 points and the lead. Normally you would kick, but Jasper was really struggling with their kicking game. They make that conversion and we have over-time. The way Jasper was playing, I think they would of won.

The PI non-call is what it is. I don't think you should make that type of call in that situation given what's on the line and how the momentum had shifted Jasper's way,but I'm so biased I can't see the forest for the trees. I DO however think it was a major mistake not to go for 2 during the 42-41 instance, but then maybe we would've gotten in and not gotten the call then either. Either way, we lost by 2 and had opportunities not to.

andy_dufresne
12-21-2004, 02:08 PM

I'm not saying it wasn't a pass inteference. I'm saying it was too close to call in that situation. I know I'm wanting a perfect world, but my immediate thought was "That should not have been called to decide the 3A title"....Again Gilmer was the better TEAM but Jasper could have won that game if the BJudge didn't get flag happy.

As far as going for two when down 42-41, I again disagree. You always take points that are on the field. Yes the cliche fits that hindsight is 20-20, but if you go for two and don't get it, then everyone and their dog (pun intended) would be griping that they didn't kick to tie it. It's a lose-lose situation...

Bull's-eye
12-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Gilmer doesn't run very much. Their leading rusher was the QB and the next closest was a couple of 500 yd running backs. Their offensive line does a great job of pass blocking, but they seem to lack the size to dominate on the ground. Yes, Gilmer doesn't use alot of clock and that does give teams time to come back and score. They are better at outscoring teams than protecting a lead. KUI to those Buckeyes!

andy_dufresne
12-21-2004, 02:25 PM
My whole argument really centers around the time issue... Okay. I'll give you they're a passing team, but don't you think you could roll out Johnson and have him dance around so you can run an additional 30-35 seconds off the clock? .....Again, not taking anything away from the Buckeyes

tdsteele
12-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Gilmer's coach mentioned this very subject yesterday. He said that they did not do a good job of that and that it was very difficult to do for that team because their offense was all out all the time.

He also said that while watching film that the coaches did not think they could stop Jasper and they figured they would have to outscore them. He even wrote the number 56 on his gameplan which is the amount of points he figured they would have to score to win.

I watched the video of the PI call at the end of the game and the video looked to me like it was clearly interference.

I also looked at a video of the two pt. conversion and the video was not clear on if he got it in or not, so I could not expect an official to do any better when even the video does not show it.

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by tdsteele

He also said that while watching film that the coaches did not think they could stop Jasper and they figured they would have to outscore them. He even wrote the number 56 on his gameplan which is the amount of points he figured they would have to score to win.

Smart guy! (Or, very good guess ;) )One more touchdown would have put it out of reach! :eek:

Bull's-eye
12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
As far as going for two when down 42-41, I again disagree. You always take points that are on the field. Yes the cliche fits that hindsight is 20-20, but if you go for two and don't get it, then everyone and their dog (pun intended) would be griping that they didn't kick to tie it. It's a lose-lose situation... One of the first thing I do during the warm-ups is watch both team's kickers. Gilmer's kicker was booming kicks from 47 yards out. Jasper's kicker was struggling with extra points. Yes, if your kicker is almost automatic, you take the tie. He had missed 2 earlier and didn't look good on the one he made. If you make the 2, you are leading the game and have the chance to win. I watched La Marque defeat Jacksonville by going for 2 and they had a great kicker. It's a typical coaching decision, you make it and you are a genius, you fail and it's a bad call.

cameron
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I think the strength for Gilmer in this game was the fact that they played a consistant game, even with their mistakes which were pretty consistant from previous games, for 4 quarters. Having never seen Jasper play before, I hope that this game was not the norm for their play nor do I hope for their sakes that its the norm for the coming couple of years....Championship game you cant play 2 inconsistant quarters and 2 consistant and expect to win. You may squeak a few out here and there but eventually it will catch up to you IMHO....

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by cameron
I think the strength for Gilmer in this game was the fact that they played a consistant game, even with their mistakes which were pretty consistant from previous games, for 4 quarters. Having never seen Jasper play before, I hope that this game was not the norm for their play nor do I hope for their sakes that its the norm for the coming couple of years....Championship game you cant play 2 inconsistant quarters and 2 consistant and expect to win. You may squeak a few out here and there but eventually it will catch up to you IMHO....

I don't think Jasper played inconsistently. They just made very good adjustments at the half.

cameron
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I don't think Jasper played inconsistently. They just made very good adjustments at the half.

What adjustments did you see that they made? Not having seen them play before I can only comment on the two that I saw that they made for the second half but Im interested in what you noticed? I only noticed a couple on the Gilmer side as well.

Manck
12-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Adjustment 1- Intercept the ball when it's thrown into triple coverage.
Adjustment 2 - Intercept a ball that was horribly overthrown, by making an amazing catch just above the turf.
Adjustment 3 - Intercept the ball when Tay Bowser lets it dribble through his fingers.

I'd say those adjustments were pretty significant.

cameron
12-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Actually the adjustment was to cover 2...those were the results and yes i agree a very significant adjustment....

nutcrackin
12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
I am glad gilmer figured out how to beat that cover 2 by finally going to the slant to Tay Bowser for the 64 yd. TD. The cover 2 is exposed in the deep middle..

YBS
12-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Nobody has mentioned Jasper's decision to kick (trailing 42-41) instead of going for 2 points and the lead. Normally you would kick, but Jasper was really struggling with their kicking game.

As far as going for two when down 42-41, I again disagree. You always take points that are on the field. Yes the cliche fits that hindsight is 20-20, but if you go for two and don't get it, then everyone and their dog (pun intended) would be griping that they didn't kick to tie it.

Having a tough time deciding on whether to kick or not kick, are we? :D

YBS
12-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Actually the adjustment was to cover 2...those were the results and yes i agree a very significant adjustment....

No actually the adjustments were from a cover 2. That first interception we made was by our corner back rolling his coverage from short to deep to give the safety on that side help. You don't roll corners on a cover 2. We RAN a cover 2 in the first half so when Gilmer lined up 3 to one side of the field the outside wide ran a hitch and the middle wide ran a deep corner route. All Johnson has to do at that point is throw to a spot on the field and let the wide go get it.

YBS
12-22-2004, 09:11 AM

We appreciate your comments, but flat out up until the playoffs we "out-talented" everyone else. When we began playing the Marlin's and Cameron Yoe's is when we started executing better. Gilmer is a talented team, and they made our execution look bad at times. We played great ball, but just struggled against a good team. Thanks for your concern though

Hupernikomen
12-22-2004, 12:03 PM

Let's see..not the norm..hmm we put up 47 points on the BEST DEFENSE IN THE STATE..as was self-proclaimed by the Buckeyes over on your website...yeah we need to break that norm and do better...:rolleyes: ...you act like that a good team has to score on every possession...we were playing a pretty talented team that will cause you to make mistakes..I could easily say that Gilmer was inconsistent for 2 quarters as well...you score 47 point.you don't lose many games like that...Gilmer certainly didn't have the best defense in the state but I feel certain they had the best offense, that was the difference.

..this was a normal team..we have them just like this one year in and year out...

Gilmer Buckeye
12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Well, you ought to have them year in and year out, being nearly large enough to go back into 4A.

Is it Silsbee that was the Div I school in 22-3A this season? You really caught a break. You'd be the largest school in our district by more than 200 students. On the other hand, Div I was probably an easier route to the state title this season.

What would have been better for East Texas would have been if Mineola had defeated Gladewater in Week 10 for the third playoff spot in 13-3A.

That way, Gilmer would have gone Div I and won state a week earlier by knocking off Abilene Wylie (who actually LOST to Snyder, a team Gilmer more or less dominated at Texas Stadium).

And then Jasper would have won state in Div II, probably over Tatum in the final. Your QB reminds me of Hodge, only better. He played a way better game against the Black Flag than Hodge did two weeks earlier.

If we could just synchronize things a bit better, East Texas would be home of both 3A champions instead of just one, even if a relatively small school like Gilmer won Div I and a large one like Jasper Div II. This whole Div I/Div II scheme is a little bit nuts, if you ask me. It's like the UIL's version of the BCS.

YBS
12-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
Well, you ought to have them year in and year out, being nearly large enough to go back into 4A.

Is it Silsbee that was the Div I school in 22-3A this season? You really caught a break. You'd be the largest school in our district by more than 200 students. On the other hand, Div I was probably an easier route to the state title this season.

What would have been better for East Texas would have been if Mineola had defeated Gladewater in Week 10 for the third playoff spot in 13-3A.

That way, Gilmer would have gone Div I and won state a week earlier by knocking off Abilene Wylie (who actually LOST to Snyder, a team Gilmer more or less dominated at Texas Stadium).

And then Jasper would have won state in Div II, probably over Tatum in the final. Your QB reminds me of Hodge, only better. He played a way better game against the Black Flag than Hodge did two weeks earlier.

If we could just synchronize things a bit better, East Texas would be home of both 3A champions instead of just one, even if a relatively small school like Gilmer won Div I and a large one like Jasper Div II. This whole Div I/Div II scheme is a little bit nuts, if you ask me. It's like the UIL's version of the BCS.

Scary thought when Jasper is a big school :thinking: