PDA

View Full Version : Clyde vs Wylie

whsfan
10-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Clyde is 3-2 so far this season and looking to make some noise in district 6-3A. Any predictions on this district opener?

I'll take Wylie but Clyde is starting to show some promise this year. Should be interesting.

eye of the tiger
10-08-2002, 10:19 PM
I think Wylie is way to strong for Clyde. Im thinking a 3 touchdown win for Wylie.

wildstangs
10-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Poor poor Clyde. Wylie by as much as they want.

vet93
10-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Clyde is steadily improving and they deserve a break. They have had some tough times. With a win over Brady or an upset of Ballinger, Clyde will make the playoffs. Against Wylie...I don't think that they have much of a chance. I would say Wylie 38 Clyde 13.

whsfan:
Clyde is 3-2 so far this season and looking to make some noise in district 6-3A. Any predictions on this district opener?

I'll take Wylie but Clyde is starting to show some promise this year. Should be interesting.

ClydeFan
10-09-2002, 02:10 PM
I think it has the potential to be a good game, especially if Clyde can avoid costly turnovers. Realistically, I'd still have to favor Wylie in this one, but I don't think it will be like the games in previous years. Our football program seems to have turned around this year, and all "A" teams from 7th grade up through the varsity have winning records. Two weeks ago we had a total sweep of Eastland and won all 7 games, so things are looking up.

Hope both teams come out of the game injury-free!

FBFAN
10-11-2002, 12:35 PM
I always like the good dialogue between the Clyde Fans and Wylie Fans. Wishing each other the best, and not throwing rocks at each other, etc. Has been a good rivalry over the years! Could be a close game if Wylie keeps fumbling!! They've had 18 in the first 5 games, and mostly from the running backs. Turnovers can swing the game as much as anything, so you never know about how this one will come out.

Good luck to both teams, and hopefully and error free, injury free game.

pero chato
10-11-2002, 01:34 PM
At one time this was an intense rivalry. It used to determine the district championship. But lately, some of the luster is gone. I agree that Clyde is much improved, we saw that last year. They matched us in total yards, I think, although the score was lopsided. If we haven't fixed our fumbling problems, it will be a close game. Wylie isn't (or shouldn't be) taking anyone for granted in district. Everyone plays their best game against the defending district champs. The last time Clyde beat Wylie was in '94 (?) so I'm sure they would love to start district off with a big win. One thing for sure.....yes I have to say it....the Bulldogs will win. ARRRRRGGGGG!

ClydeFan
10-11-2002, 11:57 PM
Well, it turned out to be a good game. The Bulldogs from Wylie won this one 17-7. Wylie led at the half 14-0, then Clyde opened the second half with a good drive and scored making it 14-7. The rest of the game was basically a defensive battle, with Clyde's defense making a great goal line stand at one point (practically a repeat of what happened in the Merkel game). Clyde had 4 turnovers and Wylie made a touchdown as a result of one and a field goal from another (10 points from turnovers, the difference in the game). Wylie had one turnover - an interception.

"FBFAN", I agree with you, as it has been a good clean rivalry over the years and I hope it stays that way. I'm also hoping the next 5 years we'll be more competitive than the past 5 years! You were close, "Pero Chato" as the last time Clyde beat Wylie was in '93, according to our newspaper.

Congratulations on the victory tonight. I was proud of the way our kids played, even though they didn't win. I thought our defense especially did a great job. Oh, I hope the injured player for Wylie was not seriously hurt.

<small>[ October 12, 2002, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: ClydeFan ]</small>

whsfan
10-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Thanks Clyde fan!

Both teams played hard fought clean game. Clyde has a very good team and I would not be surprized to see them win the rest of their district games. Good luck with the rest of your season.

FBFAN
10-13-2002, 09:36 AM
I agree that Clyde can and will win the rest of their District games! They've got "heart" and their players won't quit. Good luck to you guys and go to the playoffs!!

vet93
10-13-2002, 06:57 PM
Congratulations to the Clyde Bulldogs on their tough fought loss. They proved that they can hang with the big boys. As a Ballinger fan it certainly doesn't help me sleep any better at night. Back in July when I picked Clyde to make the playoffs almost everybody thought that I was an idiot on this board. I am glad that they are proving everyone wrong this year. Clyde has always had some pretty good athletes and now the coaching staff there seems to be getting them on the right track. Good luck next week. I hope that it is a clean well fought ball game on both sides of the ball. Also congratulations to Wylie for the win. It is not easy to take everybody's best shot each week and win.

Excel94
10-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Hey thanks Vet for the comment on Wylie's win. I agree with you on Clyde's team they are much improved, and I hope they make the playoffs. It was a good clean fought game.

ClydeFan
10-14-2002, 10:36 AM
I appreciate all of the comments about the Clyde team! I also think they will make the playoffs as long as they keep playing with the same intensity and concentrate on eliminating the costly mistakes. I'm looking forward to seeing the game this Fiday with Ballinger - it should be a good one. My only concern is that the kids might have somewhat of an off-week after the hard-fought Wylie game, so this will be a good test to see how consistent they are. The only game in which they had a breakdown at all levels was against Jim Ned, and that was due in part to injuries to our QB and tailback. Our QB played injured and wasn't mobile, and the tailback was hurt early in the Merkel game and is still not back. Our QB also plays in the secondary, and Jim Ned tore us up with their passing. Not a pretty game to watch...

Vet93, I think you made a good call back in July! Oh, did you see the Ballinger-Brady game? I'm curious how Brady looked. I know they also have a much improved team this year but I don't know much about them.

Good luck to Wylie and Ballinger the rest of the season (and playoffs).

vet93
10-14-2002, 10:53 AM
ClydeFan...I went to the Brady/Ballinger game last week and I definitely think that Clyde can put it on Brady. I really expected a much stronger Brady team. Through the middle of the 3rd quarter they had two first downs off of penalities and negative yards from scrimmage. Our offense started slow but ended up with 400 yards of total offense. Our qb had 160 yards passing on what I would consider an off night and Posey had 140 yards rushing on 20 carries. Half of his yards came on a 70 yard touchdown run. He is running much better but is still not quite where he was last year at this time. Brady played much better offensively at the end of the third quarter and fourth quarter when they put in #5 as quarterback (sophomore, I think his name is Behrend). He accounted for all of their passing yards and was the main reason that they finished with 69 total yards. He seems to have a little better arm, can scrammble and reads defenses a little better than their starter. Their defense is decent. Their only score came on an 85 yard fumble return. They have one 350 pound defensive lineman that is hard to move but doesn't move well to the football. Their linebackers flow pretty well and their secondary is decent. The Score could have easily been much much worse. I expect Clyde to beat Brady by 2 to 3 touchdowns at least.

ClydeFan
10-16-2002, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Vet93. Seems the final score was a little misleading, and it sounds like your defense had a very impressive game. I'm looking forward to seeing the game this Friday, but would prefer that the rain hold off! I assume you're coming to the game, so drive carefully on those wet roads.