PDA

View Full Version : What impressed you about the Gilmer/Jasper game?

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 04:13 PM
here are the stats I found.

Gilmer Jasper
First Downs 22 24
Rushes - Yards 26 - 180 46 - 348
Comp-Att-Int 17 - 28 - 3 11 - 21 - 0
Passing yards 310 174
Punts-avg. 3 - 48.0 4 - 37.5
Fumbles-lost 0 - 0 3 - 2
Penalties-yards 1 - 5 7 - 55

Scoring Summary
GIL-Terrance Lovely 3 run (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 9:49, 1st
GIL-Jeremy Skinner 2 run (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 2:38, 1st
GIL-Terrance Lovely 14 pass from Manuel Johnson (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 8:15, 2nd
JAS-Jordan Patton 3 run (kick failed) 6:52, 2nd
GIL-Willie Darden 17 pass from Manuel Johnson (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 1:32, 2nd
JAS-Edrick Bronson 2 run (Edrick Bronson run) :16, 2nd
GIL-Jake Holladay 6 fumble return (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 10:43, 3rd
JAS-Jordan Patton 24 run (Alex Padgett kick) 8:39, 3rd
GIL-Jeremy Skinner 5 run (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 6:51, 3rd
JAS-Ryan Malone 29 pass from Gilbert Moye (kick failed) 4:26, 3rd
JAS-Gilbert Moye 12 run (Jordan Patton run) 3:30, 3rd
JAS-Edrick Bronson 3 run (kick failed) 9:06, 4th
GIL-Tay Bowser 65 pass from Manuel Johnson (Gerardo Cabrera kick) 6:41, 4th
JAS-Jordan Patton 12 run (run failed) 4:15, 4th

Leading Rushers
GIL Terrance Lovely 7-97 , 1 TD
GIL J.T. Tennison 3-50
GIL Manuel Johnson 12-22
GIL Jeremy Skinner 3-8 , 2 TD
GIL Kevin Hollis 1-3
JAS Gilbert Moye 28-251 , 1 TD
JAS Jordan Patton 8-60 , 2 TD
JAS Edrick Bronson 10-37 , 2 TD

Leading Passers
GIL Manuel Johnson 17-28-3, 310 Yards , 3 TD
JAS Gilbert Moye 11-20-0, 174 Yards , 1 TD
JAS Jordan Patton 0-1-0, 0 Yards , 0 TD

Leading Receivers
GIL Tay Bowser 4-122 , 1 TD
GIL Willie Darden 4-85
GIL J.T. Tennison 2-21
GIL Terrance Lovely 2-19 , 1 TD
GIL Curtis Brown 1-6
GIL Kevin Hollis 1-4
GIL Jeremy Skinner 1-3
JAS Ryan Malone 7-97 , 1 TD
JAS Sean Weatherspoon 1-29
JAS Dekendrick Gilder 1-21
JAS Edrick Bronson 1-14
JAS Jordan Patton 1-13

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 04:17 PM
I was impressed with just about everything. That has got to be two of the most athletic 3A teams that have stepped on a field together. I agree with LST_Terry the defenses played pretty well and gave up 96 points!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-19-2004, 04:17 PM
i was impressed w/ jasper's determination to make a great comeback. even though they didnt win, they still played a heck of a game and scared the crap outa alot of gilmer folks.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i was impressed w/ jasper's determination to make a great comeback. even though they didnt win, they still played a heck of a game and scared the crap outa alot of gilmer folks. Same here. Most teams would have given up, but Jasper never quit and almost pulled it out.

3afan
12-19-2004, 04:30 PM
it was a state title game , i dont think ANY team would have given up. many may not have had the ability to make a game of it, but none would have given up given the stakes. IMO of course .....

Gilmer Buckeye
12-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I knew what Gilmer was all about, so although they were impressive as usual, we have come to expect that from the Buckeyes.

I really wasn't ready for what Gilbert Moye showed me. He didn't even start the game for some reason. It would have been a lot better for the Buckeye fans' collective blood pressure if he had stayed on the bench, but we would have missed one of the most impressive one-man shows (particularly from a sophomore) in playoff history.

The type of option offense Coach Lauve runs, with there even being doubt as to who would be the "quarterback" on any given play, really played with my head, and apparently it did the same with the Black Flag defense of Gilmer, particularly in the second half. It is very confusing, to say the least, and the only time Jasper didn't execute it to perfection (on Holladay's 6-yard fumble return for a Gilmer TD) turned out to have cost them the game.

But the Bulldogs no doubt have the most exciting run-oriented offense I have seen in many years. It was even hard to tell on some of the lateral pitches whether they were forward or backward. It was a statistician's nightmare, but a football fan's delight.

The goalposts in college leave a narrower distance between the uprights. Gilmer compensated for this in practice. Jasper would do well to do this also next season. The kicking game is vitally important in the playoffs.

3afan
12-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
The goalposts in college leave a narrower distance between the uprights. .....

dont think so --- i believe pros are narrower than college/HS ... pros are 18'6" wide and college/HS are 23'4". remember in Texas the HSs play by NCAA rules ...

i'm going to ask an official buddy of mine but i believe thats the case,

Astrosdawg07
12-19-2004, 04:51 PM
The crowd impressed me for sure. Anyone about how many folks where there?

Gilmer Buckeye
12-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
dont think so --- i believe pros are narrower than college/HS ... pros are 18'6" wide and college/HS are 23'4". remember in Texas the HSs play by NCAA rules ...

i'm going to ask an official buddy of mine but i believe thats the case,

I'm just going by what our coach said Gilmer did during practice last week. No matter whether they are supposed to be the same width or not, for some reason the Gilmer coaches thought they were narrower and compensated for it in practice.

From where I was, it certainly appeared they weren't as wide as the ones at Buckeye Stadium. Maybe the ones at the home field are TOO wide. I have no idea.

But I have to admit I was surprised when I heard there was a supposed difference between high school and college because I know that the major distinctions in terms of rules have always been pro on the one hand versus high school/college on the other hand.

Manck
12-19-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm just going by what our coach said Gilmer did during practice last week. No matter whether they are supposed to be the same width or not, for some reason the Gilmer coaches thought they were narrower and compensated for it in practice.

From where I was, it certainly appeared they weren't as wide as the ones at Buckeye Stadium. Maybe the ones at the home field are TOO wide. I have no idea.

But I have to admit I was surprised when I heard there was a supposed difference between high school and college because I know that the major distinctions in terms of rules have always been pro on the one hand versus high school/college on the other hand.

From the UIL website page regarding rule changes from NCAA to UIL

9. 1-2-5-b Change to read: “Above the crossbar the uprights shall be white or yellow and 23 feet 4 inches apart inside to inside. (EXCEPTION: When UIL schools are playing on collegiate fields with 18 feet 6 inches goal posts, and 23 feet 4 inches goal posts are not available, the collegiate goal posts may be used by mutual agreement of the competing schools.)”

LST_Terry
12-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Look at the Tank finding the info!

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Manck

9. 1-2-5-b Change to read: “Above the crossbar the uprights shall be white or yellow and 23 feet 4 inches apart inside to inside. (EXCEPTION: When UIL schools are playing on collegiate fields with 18 feet 6 inches goal posts, and 23 feet 4 inches goal posts are not available, the collegiate goal posts may be used by mutual agreement of the competing schools.)”

That might explain why two of our extra points clanked the goal post..luckily one squeaked through afterwards, but the one at the end bounced back...I thought sprite commerical at that moment..

Since this is a positive thread I will add I was impressed with Gilmer's fight song. I liked the way that their fans get to clap..it adds some excitement..Jasper school song reminds me of a funeral..

3afan
12-19-2004, 05:23 PM

good find - thanx for clearing that up !

Manck
12-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

Since this is a positive thread I will add I was impressed with Gilmer's fight song. I liked the way that their fans get to clap..it adds some excitement..Jasper school song reminds me of a funeral..

Our school song is titled "An Army of Buckeyes."

Here's a link to a letter read at the pep rally that explains why that big banner over on the Gilmer side said that....An Army of Buckeyes (http://www.gilmermirror.com/index.php?CATID=2) You'll have to scroll down a bit.

GHS has the only alma mater that you can clap to that I've ever heard. None of that finger swinging crap like everyone else, just some good ole' crowd participation.

mistanice
12-19-2004, 05:39 PM
I wish i would have gone and i could tell you what impressed me.

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
I like the Woodlands fight song..man that is impressive.

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 06:40 PM
The accuracy of Manual's passes weren't at the level of those during the Tatum game but still very impressive. I was also impressed with Jasper's ability to move the ball through the air. I think it had a great impact on our ability to run the ball throughout the game.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 08:03 PM
GHS has the only alma mater that you can clap to that I've ever heard. None of that finger swinging crap like everyone else, just some good ole' crowd participation. Ummmm...sounded like "Stars and Stripes Forever" to me.

j_dog
12-19-2004, 08:08 PM
The accuracy of Manual's passes weren't at the level of those during the Tatum game but still very impressive. I was also impressed with Jasper's ability to move the ball through the air. I think it had a great impact on our ability to run the ball throughout the game.
Moye is just a Soph. He played some varsity as a freshmen. Next year as a "junior" he will already have had 17 plus varsity games experience at QB. I think we just saw last night a hint of things to come in the passing/running phase of his game. When he is passing well, on top of his running ability, well to say the least he is going to scare some folks! :) I can totally understand the surprise of Gilmer fans at Moye's performance. There was nothing in the "stats" to foretell what was to happen. However, it was not too much of a surprise to Jasper fans. True, he and the team had never totally put together a half like that of the second half. But, they had never needed to. All year long we had witnessed the flashes of brilliance when it was needed. We fans knew it was just a matter of time before there was an offensive explosion. You may have missed it yesterday, but one of my last posts/predictions before leaving for the game that there would some surprises. I think that Jasper out offensing Gilmer in total yardage was definitely surprising. :) The thing that surprised me most that Jasper was not able to do a better job slowing down Gilmer's offense. Gilmer IS awesome!

My prediction for next year is that NOBODY takes Moye lightly ever again! :)

jasper_dawgs
12-19-2004, 08:55 PM
I was impressed with the amount of sheer talent on BOTH teams.
I believe a lot of these players will be in the headlines for years to come. How cool would it be to see some of these players in the pros in the near future?

YBS
12-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
it was a state title game , i dont think ANY team would have given up. many may not have had the ability to make a game of it, but none would have given up given the stakes. IMO of course .....

I'd have to disagree w/ that. I've seen JASPER teams in the past that have given up. Granted, it wasn't in the championship game, we've all seen teams that have gotten down early and rolled over. I said it on another topic and I'll repeat it here....this team showed more heart during that game than any other team I've seen play. You may've seen other instances of bravado but I'd, OF COURSE, challenge that.

YBS
12-20-2004, 01:47 PM
I knew what Gilmer was all about, so although they were impressive as usual, we have come to expect that from the Buckeyes.

I really wasn't ready for what Gilbert Moye showed me. He didn't even start the game for some reason. It would have been a lot better for the Buckeye fans' collective blood pressure if he had stayed on the bench, but we would have missed one of the most impressive one-man shows (particularly from a sophomore) in playoff history.

The type of option offense Coach Lauve runs, with there even being doubt as to who would be the "quarterback" on any given play, really played with my head, and apparently it did the same with the Black Flag defense of Gilmer, particularly in the second half. It is very confusing, to say the least, and the only time Jasper didn't execute it to perfection (on Holladay's 6-yard fumble return for a Gilmer TD) turned out to have cost them the game.

But the Bulldogs no doubt have the most exciting run-oriented offense I have seen in many years. It was even hard to tell on some of the lateral pitches whether they were forward or backward. It was a statistician's nightmare, but a football fan's delight.

The goalposts in college leave a narrower distance between the uprights. Gilmer compensated for this in practice. Jasper would do well to do this also next season. The kicking game is vitally important in the playoffs.

I'm a Jasper fan and I approve of this message :D

YBS
12-20-2004, 01:49 PM
That might explain why two of our extra points clanked the goal post..luckily one squeaked through afterwards, but the one at the end bounced back...I thought sprite commerical at that moment..

The school song is definitely morbid, but JHS does more w/ the FIGHT SONG than U of H has ever dreamed of.

TOPS1435
12-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Gilmer's alma mater or school song is to "Stars and Stripes Forever". When I was in school everyone sang to it. When I returned to Gilmer after the :cool: anti-establishment 60s and 70s few were sing, but all were clapping.

As the band leaves the field at half time the play the fight song, On You Buckeyes set to the tune of On Wisconsin. That's the one they clap to and close with G-H-S. I guess we just like to clap up here in Gilmer:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JasperDog94
12-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Well you guys certainly have a lot to clap about. Congrats on a great game.