PDA

View Full Version : Parade to Honor New State Champs!!

Buckeyeman
12-19-2004, 01:45 PM
From the Gilmer Mirror website:

Congratulations to the Gilmer Buckeyes
16-0 and state champs!
The Buckeyes defeated the Jasper Bulldogs, 49-47, in a thrilling UIL Class 3A Division II slugfest/trackmeet at Homer Bryce Stadium on the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches.

The Army of Buckeyes salutes these young gridiron warriors who have brought home to Gilmer on Saturday night, Dec. 18, its first state championship in school history.

All members of the Army of Buckeyes are ordered to assemble at the intersection of Madison and Titus streets in Gilmer at 6 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 20, to join in the victory parade to the fountain on the downtown square.

Merry Christmas to all and congratulations also to the Jasper Bulldogs for your participation in one of the greatest high school football championship games in the history of the state of Texas

Bellville22
12-19-2004, 02:03 PM
I haven't been around as long as alot of people on this board, but in my 23 years in this world, I've seen alot of high school football, and I must say that Gilmer has the best fans I have ever seen! Punctual, dedicated, loud, smart, and respectful. I was very impressed.

I arrived to the stadium with the infamous "Red Mustache" from Bellville at what I believed to be a ridiculously early time of 12:49 pm (5:00 kickoff). As I climbed the steps to approach the field, I found some 300-500 Gilmer fans waiting for the gates to open at 2pm., some had been there since before 9am! Once, the gates opened it was a mad dash to the seats. By about 2:30, 2 1/2 hours before the game, there were 1500-2000 Gilmer folks in the stands, compared to around 100 on the Jasper side ( no knock on Jasper, I consider that quite normal). If you weren't there by 3:30, you were probably standing. Once the game started, they didn't disappoint. The were very loud, and new the game better than most crowds I've sat amongst. Had the privilege of sitting behind 2 moms and a grandma who knew just about as much about football as I do. They were, confident, yet concerned, and very respectful to both teams.

I've sat on the side of alot of teams in my years... Bellville, Burnet, Gainesville, Jasper, Marlin, SLC, Sealy, Lufkin, Tyler Lee, Midland Lee, and many others, but never have I felt the electricity like the Gilmer fans provided. Perhaps it was just the situation, but I doubt it.

Hats off to the die-hard Gilmer fans and their tremendous football team.