PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from the Gilmer side....

TOPS1435
12-19-2004, 01:54 AM
What a heart stopping, magnificant championship game! How fortunate we were with the weather: December cool but otherwise perfect.

No one seem to have a significant injury, and both teams played their hearts out.

Jasper mounted a heroic attack in the second half, closed some of the doors left open for the Gilmer offense during the first half, and they kept on coming, and coming, and coming.....

Moye is good, and you are going to enjoy him for the next 2 years!!! but it is Patton and Malone who I keep seeing in my second half photos. Bronson had his share too.

After throwing only 10 interceptions in 15 games, I wondered if you were going to break Manuel Johnson's heart with those 3 interceptions. That's when I really kept seeing Patton.

But then Manuel combined with his house mate, Tay Bowser, for that critical 4th quarter route which Tay turned into our final score. He was bloodied but not out.

I know from the stands it probably looked like the Bulldog crossed the goal from I was standing at the goal line, and it looked like he came to rest about 6" to a foot shy of the white line. Sorry.

As far as the pass interference call, it looked from the other side as if your guy was draped all over ours before the ball got there. When things are so close, our eyes play tricks on us, and we can see what we want to see.....

What brought tears to my eyes as I drove home was the force of the Gilmer crowd in the 4th quarter. In 1981, there were parents in the stand booing our boys because they were behind. 20 points were scored in that game in 1:22 and otherwise it was a 6-3 game. Jasper almost had a spell like that in the first half.

At our Thursday pep rally there was a letter telling the boys that An Army of Buckeyes would be supporting them, Buckeyes from almost 100 years of play, Brothers who have worn the orange and black.

Jasper was rightly yelling so loud they probably could not hear what Gilmer was saying. That's o.k. We could not hear you either.

It started softly toward the end of the 3rd quarter, a group of fans chanting "We want State". As it grew, maybe the cheerleaders helped it, or maybe the Army of Buckeyes just answered the call. By the time the score was 42-41 it was a roar anytime Gilmer had the ball.

The city's Main Street Director, and Medical Clinic Administrator, and another adult manned the Black Flag and the Cheerleaders flag and the Gilmer side either roared DEFENSE or WE WANT STATE for the whole of the fourth period.

I have been going to Buckeye games for a 1/2 century and photographing most of the past 25 years. I have never been so proud to be part of something so thrilling. I have never felt my community was so united. I have never felt prouder of our players than when our players did not fold under the Jasper onslaught.

I am so grateful for being a minor part of such an evening. We are grateful to be the champions, but we know that the Jasper Bulldogs are made of equally good stock. Congratulations on a very good year.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jason1725
12-19-2004, 02:02 AM
I know from the stands it probably looked like the Bulldog crossed the goal from I was standing at the goal line, and it looked like he came to rest about 6" to a foot shy of the white line. Sorry.

Standing on the goal on the Jasper side looking through a zoom lens he made it. Jasper was just too nervous at the start and got behind. It was too much to overcome. Gilmer congrats on an excelent game and the win. Jasper you showed great heart tonight and made Jasper proud. It sure wasn't a blowout like many people said.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by TOPS1435
Look at the replay. He was clearly on the goal line when he hit the ground. The ball was in his possession. Maybe after watching Gilmer's games for 1/2 a century, your eyes were playing tricks on you. Some times we see what we want to see...or so I've heard.

That said, congrats on the victory. Your kids earned it. I just wished there didn't have to be a call like that in a game like this.:(

3afan
12-19-2004, 08:41 AM
remember, the BALL has to break the plane, not the player in posession of the ball .....

Jason1725
12-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Thats exactly what I saw, the ball going acroos that white line.

j_dog
12-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Regardless, the play will stand. Congratulations to Gilmer on gaining that elusive state championship! :) As we in Jasper knew and acknowledged, Gilmer has an awesome team.

And for next year, Go Dogs! :clap: :clap: You proved you were not, and never were a several TD underdog to Gilmer. :)

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
remember, the BALL has to break the plane, not the player in posession of the ball ..... Like I said before, all you have to do is see the replay and you'll be a believer.

Bellville22
12-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
I haven't been around as long as alot of people on this board, but in my 23 years in this world, I've seen alot of high school football, and I must say that Gilmer has the best fans I have ever seen! Punctual, dedicated, loud, smart, and respectful. I was very impressed.

I arrived to the stadium with the infamous "Red Mustache" from Bellville at what I believed to be a ridiculously early time of 12:49 pm (5:00 kickoff). As I climbed the steps to approach the field, I found some 300-500 Gilmer fans waiting for the gates to open at 2pm., some had been there since before 9am! Once, the gates opened it was a mad dash to the seats. By about 2:30, 2 1/2 hours before the game, there were 1500-2000 Gilmer folks in the stands, compared to around 100 on the Jasper side ( no knock on Jasper, I consider that quite normal). If you weren't there by 3:30, you were probably standing. Once the game started, they didn't disappoint. The were very loud, and new the game better than most crowds I've sat amongst. Had the privilege of sitting behind 2 moms and a grandma who knew just about as much about football as I do. They were, confident, yet concerned, and very respectful to both teams.

I've sat on the side of alot of teams in my years... Bellville, Burnet, Gainesville, Jasper, Marlin, SLC, Sealy, Lufkin, Tyler Lee, Midland Lee, and many others, but never have I felt the electricity like the Gilmer fans provided. Perhaps it was just the situation, but I doubt it.

Hats off to the die-hard Gilmer fans and their tremendous football team.

What I posted on the parade site, thanks for the atmosphere guys.