PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from the Jasper side...

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 01:02 AM
First of all thanks to both Jasper and Gilmer for one of the most memorable games in history. You both should be proud. What a great game!

I will admit that after Jasper was down 21-0 I had flashbacks to Burnet/Jasper 2002. Jasper fell behind and never caught up in that game. Boy was I wrong this year.

Gilmers passing attack was everything that it was cracked up to be. Johnson was on the money and every other catch belongs on a highlight reel.

The only thing more amazing than the receivers catchs were the defenders interceptions. Those interceptions were amazing. Two of the three were right on the money, but the Jasper defenders just made great plays on the ball.

To me, the game came down to two plays. One was the two point conversion called no good against Jasper. Here's what I saw from the stands. Patton took the ball right up the middle. He was being tackled at the 1, fell on top of a defender and rolled into the endzone. The refs all got together in a huddle (in other words nobody knew what happened) and I guess decided that since nobody saw him get into the endzone that he must have been down. That's the only thing I can figure because he ended up in the endzone. I'll be curious to see the replay on that one.

The second play was a controversial pass interference call that went against Jasper late in the game. It was on a 3rd and long for Gilmer. The defender hit the receiver right as the ball got there, but out came the little yellow hankie and the rest as they say, is history.

Two final thoughts:

1. Both teams gave it their all. Those kids played their hearts out and left everything out on the field.

2. One stat keeps bothering me. Gilmer had only one flag thrown against them all night and it was a delay of game penalty. Jasper had at least 6 or 7 penalties. Possibly more. I lost count. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Call it both ways or don't call it.

As far as the kids go, though, they were awesome. Thanks for the memories.:)

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 01:34 AM
I am with you Jd94..Gilmer play a close to flawless game and we made a few too many mistakes to win. You can't shoot yourself in the foot with turnovers and missed opportunities as many times as we did against a team of their caliber and win. Gilmer's offense certainly rivals any I have seen on the 3A level. They were tremendous. I think Jasper did a good job against them holding them to 49...made that sounds wierd, but they are that good on offense.

ILoveSoccerMoms
12-19-2004, 01:44 AM
i agree completely with you fellas, but i do have something to add... if gilmers defense hadnt scored (via the running bak direct snap turned into defensive end scoop and score) we very well could be talkin about a jasper 48-42 victory, wen i say 48 instead of 47 i believe the jasper coaches wouldnt have gone for 2 had they had the lead... i believe they woulda played it safe and number 36 had to of been due for a made field goal... up until this game he was 10/10 in the prior 2 games

JHS_c/o_06'
12-19-2004, 01:44 AM
My thoughts....

Gilmer played a good game....

but....nuts and bolts...nuts and bolts...we got screwed.

YBS
12-19-2004, 02:17 AM
I think we got jipped, but even more than that we had opportunities to win and we didn't. WE shouldn't have been outta timeouts that last drive. WE should've gone for it on 4th and 3 w/ 4:15 left.

My takeaways(PLEASE NO ONE TAKE OFFENSE) were that our boys have more heart than ANY h.s. football team I've seen play! After watching Gilmer's offense in the first half and being down 42-21, HONESTLY who among us wouldn't have given up:confused: Those kids KEPT coming back. If you that game were replayed it may've had a very different outcome. Then again you could say the same about Liberty Hill:thinking:

JR2004
12-19-2004, 04:38 AM
That was by far the best playoff game I've seen this year and I'd put it right up there with the LaMarque-Ryan game that I went to see last year as well as the Gatesville-Wylie title game in 2000.

I was disappointed to see Jasper lose, but the drive from up here in Plano was well worth it to see a game of that caliber. I was really hoping (as I have been for the last 3 years now) that Coach Sarge was gonna be able to get his 2nd State Championship Ring. That man was the best football coach that I ever had so I was sad to see the Bulldogs come oh so close to winning the title...I don't know what the folks in Jasper think about Coach Sarge, but for my money, he's at the top of my list of coaches that I learned the most from about not only the game of football when I played for him, but also some great life lessons that he taught me as well. I hope Coach Sarge has had a positive impact on some kids out there in Jasper like he had on me and countless other guys who have played for him over the years.

As for that 2 point conversion, I'm of the opinion that it should've counted. I was sitting on the Jasper side and had a great look at the play since I was sitting down towards the goalline on that end and it appeared that the refs just flat out blew that call entirely. It's a shame that they didn't get that call right in my opinion. That pass interference call seemed to be unneccessary and I don't really understand why that ref threw the flag. It was just a heck of a play in my opinion by the DB. Those two calls by the officials really helped to put Jasper in a hole they couldn't get out of. The game was great though and the Bulldogs have nothing to hang their head about. They're gonna be right back there again next season and I'll go ahead and predict that they'll finally get that state title next season!

jasper_dawgs
12-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Jasper Bulldogs are state champs without rings. But they still have their dignity and spirit. We all saw the movie"FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS" played out right there in Nachodoches last night. There were hard hits and hard calls, but in the end we remain STATE CHAMPS without a ring. Congratulations to both teams.

GO BULLDOGS:D

3afan
12-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
My thoughts....

Gilmer played a good game....

but....nuts and bolts...nuts and bolts...we got screwed.

see Hupernikomen's post just above yours ......

"Gilmer play a close to flawless game and we made a few too many mistakes to win. You can't shoot yourself in the foot with turnovers and missed opportunities as many times as we did against a team of their caliber ... " ---- isn't that really the bottom line ???

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 09:51 AM
It is the bottom line, but at the same time I was very ticked at all the calls against Jasper that where questionable (as many calls are). The illegal procedure call on us at the 2 yard line was bogus IMO as well. The unsportsmanlike conduct call was ridiculous...sure we hurt ourselves with mistakes like fumbles and such, but every penalty called against us were back breakers and fortunately for Gilmer they didn't have any of those. Sour grapes..yeah maybe a bit but I give credit to a deserving Buckeye team for a hard-fought win.

Goldenstick
12-19-2004, 09:54 AM
I agree, those calls came at some very critical times. That pass interference call on third down was huge because Jasper had no TO's and were going to get the ball back with aroud 3 min left. Instead Gilmer runs the clock down to 1 min. The refs hadn't made that call all night

3afan
12-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
It is the bottom line, but at the same time I was very ticked at all the calls against Jasper that where questionable (as many calls are). The illegal procedure call on us at the 2 yard line was bogus IMO as well. The unsportsmanlike conduct call was ridiculous...sure we hurt ourselves with mistakes like fumbles and such, but every penalty called against us were back breakers and fortunately for Gilmer they didn't have any of those. Sour grapes..yeah maybe a bit but I give credit to a deserving Buckeye team for a hard-fought win.

how can an illegal procedure call be bogus?? thats an easy call. and unless you know exactly what was said i dont think you can say an unsportsmanlike is ridiculous ...

PPHSfan
12-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Here is my bottom line.

A team as talented as Jasper should have a kicking game.

I am not taking anything away from the kid that has been trying to kick for the Bulldogs all year, but Jasper knew coming into this game their chances at kicking a ball thru the uprights were 50/50 at best. They have been watching their kicking game be a hit and miss contest all year long.

Call me an armchair QB or a wannabee coach all you want. But if I am in charge of the Jasper team. With the type of running game I have. I am going for two EVERY TIME I score a TD. 50/50 running it in is twice as good as 50/50 kicking it.

The score could have easily been 50-49 Jasper if they make 4 of 7. After watching Jaspers kicking game and their running game, I would go out on a limb and say the chances of scoring 50 versus 47 last night were a pretty good bet.

Old No. 7
12-19-2004, 10:36 AM
I think Jasper fought one He!! of a fight but ran out of time. The team with the most points on the board wins. Jasper's O started clicking in the 2nd half but the D couldn't keep the Buxs from scoreing. Both teams deserved to be there. All I can say now is thank you for makeing the first 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME I ever saw very memorable!

JD94, it was good seeing you at the game. I was going to go back and talk to you at halftime but I lost my voice. (Still!) I tried to call j_dog on the phone and he couldn't hear a word i was saying. So we watched the game and left without seeing anyone. Merry Christmas everyone. May God bless all.

easttexan1
12-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Well let me say this about the Jasper kicking game. We were discussing this with Walkoviak before he left and here we are years later without a decent kicker. Lets have a clinic; Somewhere between the 8th grade and graduation, there is someone at JHS who has the potential to kick. No excuses. If everybody else can find one, so can we.

j_dog
12-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Old No. 7
I tried to call j_dog on the phone and he couldn't hear a word i was saying. ....
I knew it was you. I passed the phone to my young friend Hup who hears better. :D By then you must have hung up! :) Sorry we missed you! :( Thank you for all the support you have given the Dogs. You are one classy guy! :clap:

j_dog
12-19-2004, 11:40 AM
I think Jasper fought one He!! of a fight but ran out of time. ....
I like that! We didn't lose, we just ran out of time! :D I think it would be fair to say that Jasper definitely had the momentum toward the end. :)

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 01:02 PM
... but the D couldn't keep the Buxs from scoreing. Actually I thought our D played great in the 2nd half to only allow 2 TDs. One was on a great throw and run that was probably a 60+ yard TD.

3afan
12-19-2004, 01:51 PM
....The illegal procedure call on us at the 2 yard line was bogus ....

when you say a call was "bogus" you are implying the officail said .. "huh, i dont want Jasper to score ... I think I'll just make up a call to screw them ............". At least thats how it sounds.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 02:01 PM
3afan,

The problem that most folks from Jasper have is that when there was a flag thrown last night, every single one went against us. The only exception was a delay of game penalty against Gilmer that had to be called. It just seems a little fishy. I saw several things not called in this game. The call that went against Jasper when we were on the 2 yard line comes from the way our guys look like they're going to run a play, then all turn around to look at the coaches and get the play. It hasn't been called all year until we were on the 2 yard line. 1 delay of game penalty vs. the numerous times Jasper was flagged just seems a bit suspicious to most of us.

3afan
12-19-2004, 02:15 PM
the officiating crew was agreed upon by both sides, they were from a neutral chapter & was, we can safely assume, one of the best in the state. IMO to even say the panalties situation is "fishy" calls into question the officials' integrity and again, IMO, that crosses a line that doesn't need be crossed after such a great game.

on the illegal procedure call obviously the official saw something different than all the other times the Jasper players looked back for the play. Thats the only logical explanation.

congrats to both Gilmer and Jasper ....

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I know that both schools agreed on the officials. But now we can't even say that something is odd when it's so one sided? 1 penalty that had to be called vs. somewhere between 6-10 penalties called on the other team. Like I said, it just seems a little out of balance.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 02:49 PM
3afan,

Do me a favor and see if you can watch the "missed" two point conversion at the end of the game. If you can, I'd be curious as to what you thought about that call.

3afan
12-19-2004, 03:02 PM
i'd like to see it - heck yeah. seeing is believing, right ?!!?!?

Problem is - no video is gonna show what the official saw ........

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i'd like to see it - heck yeah. seeing is believing, right ?!!?!?

Problem is - no video is gonna show what the official saw ........ Actually, in the video one of the officials is right there in front of the play. There's no way he should have missed that call. The angle of the camera was the same angle that the official saw. Maybe he blinked or something.:rolleyes:

Hupernikomen
12-19-2004, 03:40 PM
how can an illegal procedure call be bogus?? thats an easy call. and unless you know exactly what was said i dont think you can say an unsportsmanlike is ridiculous ...

it was bogus to me because we had given the same fake snap every play up until then but no call was made until we get 2nd and goal from the 2...we did the same thing the rest of the night w/o a call...

the unsportsmanlike I was 30 yds away and could see our kids face..all he did was jump up and make a show-your- muscles- stance and immed. the flag came out...tickey tack flag imo...ref. could of easily told him that was not necessary and move on, but chose to throw the yellow of first sign of any celebration. It was just frustrating to see the flags thrown against us and not them I suppose.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 03:47 PM
It was just frustrating to see the flags thrown against us and not them I suppose. Same here. If you're going to call it, call it both ways.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-19-2004, 04:14 PM
The player who did that, (the unsportsmanlike thing), had done that numerous times during the season, and no ref has ever busted him or warned him, or i dont think he would have ever done that again.

3afan
12-19-2004, 04:27 PM
every official's interpretation of what is unsportsmanlike and what's not is different - its not defined.

IMO the coaching staff should have put a stop to it after the first time they saw it - it was bound to be called ... why take the risk?

Holmes_Fans
12-19-2004, 04:36 PM
He shouldn't be celebrating on the field, that stuff needs to be done on the side lines or as he is running to the sidelines out of play. Leave that stuff to the pros.

olddawggreen
12-19-2004, 04:44 PM
I have to totally agree with you on this one PPHSfan, I couldn't help but wonder during the game why Jasper couldn't come up with a more reliable kicker this year. I too, thought that based on the lack of success the Jasper kicker was having, that Jasper's chances of getting a two point conversion might have been better than trying to put it between the post. Their chances certainly couldnt have been any less.

Originally posted by PPHSfan
Here is my bottom line.

A team as talented as Jasper should have a kicking game.

I am not taking anything away from the kid that has been trying to kick for the Bulldogs all year, but Jasper knew coming into this game their chances at kicking a ball thru the uprights were 50/50 at best. They have been watching their kicking game be a hit and miss contest all year long.

Call me an armchair QB or a wannabee coach all you want. But if I am in charge of the Jasper team. With the type of running game I have. I am going for two EVERY TIME I score a TD. 50/50 running it in is twice as good as 50/50 kicking it.

The score could have easily been 50-49 Jasper if they make 4 of 7. After watching Jaspers kicking game and their running game, I would go out on a limb and say the chances of scoring 50 versus 47 last night were a pretty good bet.

Bulldog Fan
12-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I know that both schools agreed on the officials. But now we can't even say that something is odd when it's so one sided? 1 penalty that had to be called vs. somewhere between 6-10 penalties called on the other team. Like I said, it just seems a little out of balance.

Must we assume that the officials are completely impartial? Maybe they are and then again maybe they aren't. I know that one of the Gilmer wide receivers was "taunting" our sidelines more than once during the game and there was never a flag thrown. Jasper does seem to attract an unusually high number of questionable penalty calls and usually at critical times.

Jason1725
12-19-2004, 08:07 PM
It did seem like everytime Jasper got into position to break the game open for themselves there was always a flag on the play to bring it back. Jasper it just seems always gets the bad breaks I think we are cursed.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
He shouldn't be celebrating on the field, that stuff needs to be done on the side lines or as he is running to the sidelines out of play. Leave that stuff to the pros. The point being that this happened all year and was never called. You can't take emotions completely out of the game. I've seen lots worse not called. Don't think for a minute that Gilmer didn't have some of the same stuff happening.

If you want to talk about blown calls (or no calls), look at the replay in the second half on Gilmer's 1st offensive touchdown. At the time of completion, a lineman was already 5 yards beyond the line of scrimage. Or the numerous times Gilmer was lined up incorrectly. Unless the ref on that side was allowing the receiver to play 1 yard deep and still say he's on the line, then they didn't have enough players on the line of scrimmage. If you're going to call penalties, call them both ways.

jasper_dawgs
12-19-2004, 09:20 PM
I read somewhere earlier this morning that there would be CD's available of Jasper vs Gilmer....( and officials ) Are these Audio or Video???? I would love to have a Copy of this game. Does any body know where one can be obtained? Please contact me or post reply.

Go dawgs

LST_Terry
12-19-2004, 09:21 PM
The LST will have a CD of the broadcast we did. e-mail me at terry@lonestarteams.com for details

spiveyrat
12-19-2004, 10:31 PM
I would assume that a CD would imply audio.

Astrosdawg07
12-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Jason1725
It did seem like everytime Jasper got into position to break the game open for themselves there was always a flag on the play to bring it back. Jasper it just seems always gets the bad breaks I think we are cursed.

Ian, what was the coaches reaction the the penalties since you where on the bench.

Rabbit'93
12-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Seems to me that everyone from jasper has their conspiracy caps on:thinking:

Bulldog Fan
12-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

I'll bet the refs were really from BURNET!:p

Astrosdawg07
12-19-2004, 11:28 PM

It's not that it was just frustrating to see some of the picky calls made.

Astrosdawg07
12-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog Fan

That would be refs..:D

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Seems to me that everyone from jasper has their conspiracy caps on:thinking: When you play a team that close and it comes down to a "missed" 2 point conversion, it makes you wonder. Especially after watching the replay.:(

And it doesn't help that Gilmer's only penalty was a delay of game that has to be called and Jasper received 7 penalties...mostly at the worst possible times. It makes one stop and ponder.:thinking: :thinking:

Rabbit'93
12-19-2004, 11:44 PM
I do not think that they (refs) had it in for Jasper. It's hard to acept a loss, especially at this point, and after the valiant effort your boys gave. Just as in any sport, sometimes the calls go your way and others they don't.

JasperDog94
12-19-2004, 11:54 PM
I do not think that they (refs) had it in for Jasper. It's hard to acept a loss, especially at this point, and after the valiant effort your boys gave. Just as in any sport, sometimes the calls go your way and others they don't. That's my point. If you're going to make calls, make them both ways. 7 penalties to 1 is not very balanced. And unless you saw the game, you wouldn't understand when the penalties came. They came at the worst times. It got so bad that when the Jasper fans saw a yellow flag, the entire bleachers started to groan because they knew it would go against us. Just be fair and call it both ways.

Jason1725
12-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Ian, what was the coaches reaction the the penalties since you where on the bench.

Who the heck is Ian? I would think that JASON would be a sure clue as to what my name is.

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Sometimes the calls go your way & sometimes they don't. We've all seen games where it "appeared" that the calls were one-sided. We lost a playoff game one year based on what looked like several bad calls - they were obvious on video. A picture in the paper showed face mask on the last goal line stance just over a week ago - TO should not have been charged. Whether or not the Jasper 2-pt conversion should've been counted or not, it wasn't.

There is no instant replay in high school. Until there is, the calls are live & there is no going back. Maybe the calls were one-sided. Or maybe the Gilmer players were more disciplined. I don't know since I obviously wasn't there. The refs are paid to do a job, just like each of us working adults. They do the best job they can.

You may not learn to accept the outcome of the game, but you do learn to live with it. I know from experience. Beating the horse doesn't change anything & can only make the loss harder to handle. (Just my $.02)

spiveyrat
12-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog Fan

I think for the most part, Burnet was pulling for us.

TXMike
12-20-2004, 08:56 AM
That's my point. If you're going to make calls, make them both ways. 7 penalties to 1 is not very balanced. And unless you saw the game, you wouldn't understand when the penalties came. They came at the worst times. It got so bad that when the Jasper fans saw a yellow flag, the entire bleachers started to groan because they knew it would go against us. Just be fair and call it both ways.

This type of comment from fans, and sometimes even coaches make it, is the most profundly ignorant comment with regards to how football is officiated. Why is it that some folks cannot accept the fact that sometimes one team will have more penalties than the other? If one team is committing more fouls, what should the refs do, start making up calls on the other team so they can ensure an "EQUAL NUMBER" is called? Or should they start ignoring the fouls of the team which is committing more? I say again...JUST BECAUSE ONE TEAM IS FOULING DOE SNOT MEAN THE OTHER IS AS WELL.

3afan
12-20-2004, 09:13 AM
mike - i've been defending the refs on this but i give up -- MOST people are just too biased to be objective.

hey - check your PM ................

3afan
12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
That's my point. If you're going to make calls, make them both ways. 7 penalties to 1 is not very balanced. And unless you saw the game, you wouldn't understand when the penalties came. They came at the worst times. It got so bad that when the Jasper fans saw a yellow flag, the entire bleachers started to groan because they knew it would go against us. Just be fair and call it both ways.

But - your point implies that the officials had a clear and purposeful bias against Jasper. Surely you don't really believe that was the case ......

spiveyrat
12-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Doe snot??? :D

YBS
12-20-2004, 11:23 AM

Yeah, they go quite well w/ my camo jacket during the winter :doh:

YBS
12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Sometimes the calls go your way & sometimes they don't. We've all seen games where it "appeared" that the calls were one-sided. We lost a playoff game one year based on what looked like several bad calls - they were obvious on video. A picture in the paper showed face mask on the last goal line stance just over a week ago - TO should not have been charged. Whether or not the Jasper 2-pt conversion should've been counted or not, it wasn't.

There is no instant replay in high school. Until there is, the calls are live & there is no going back. Maybe the calls were one-sided. Or maybe the Gilmer players were more disciplined. I don't know since I obviously wasn't there. The refs are paid to do a job, just like each of us working adults. They do the best job they can.

You may not learn to accept the outcome of the game, but you do learn to live with it. I know from experience. Beating the horse doesn't change anything & can only make the loss harder to handle. (Just my $.02)

Panther Mom is right. I've seen games where teams I cheered for, not Jasper :( , received favorable calls that I knew were favorable. Even though this game had some horrible calls, ULTIMATELY we lost b/c we don't have a kicker, we should've gone for the 4th & 3 w/ 4:15 left on the clock, and we should've stopped running the cover 2 against their slot corner routes during the 2nd quarter. And we STILL almost won :thinking:

3ABirdMan
12-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by easttexan1
Well let me say this about the Jasper kicking game. We were discussing this with Walkoviak before he left and here we are years later without a decent kicker. Lets have a clinic; Somewhere between the 8th grade and graduation, there is someone at JHS who has the potential to kick. No excuses. If everybody else can find one, so can we.

May I offer a suggestion.........

Keep an eye on Bridge City's web site Triangle Football (http://trianglefootball.net) during the course of the off-season. Last year, Matt Bryant, Bridge City native and NFL kicker, offered lessons for anyone interested. I know it's a pretty good drive from Jasper, but it might be a good idea for one of the younger players, if interested. Hey, it coudn't hurt!

Astrosdawg07
12-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Who the heck is Ian? I would think that JASON would be a sure clue as to what my name is.

I was not refering to you Jason

JHS_c/o_06'
12-20-2004, 01:23 PM

....no comment on that one, but it was rough.

YBS
12-20-2004, 02:43 PM

We haven't had a fairly strong kicker since Brendan Archaryokisol(sp?) in like '93.

Astrosdawg07
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by YBS
We haven't had a fairly strong kicker since Brendan Archaryokisol(sp?) in like '93.

Jasper's best kicker is playing baseball right now.:doh:

redraidersister
12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
We had Sky Jones kicking a few years ago and he was fairly good.

Junkyard
12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TXMike
This type of comment from fans, and sometimes even coaches make it, is the most profundly ignorant comment with regards to how football is officiated. Why is it that some folks cannot accept the fact that sometimes one team will have more penalties than the other? If one team is committing more fouls, what should the refs do, start making up calls on the other team so they can ensure an "EQUAL NUMBER" is called? Or should they start ignoring the fouls of the team which is committing more? I say again...JUST BECAUSE ONE TEAM IS FOULING DOE SNOT MEAN THE OTHER IS AS WELL.

TXMIKE you are right about implying that the officials were calling a one sided game on purpose I do not believe that to be the case. However it was called one sided none the less. I would defy any football official from any level to sit down and look at the game tape and defend some of the calls being made. For instance the non call when the Gilmer QB through the ball away out of bounds while still in the pocket, or the hard count call on the Jasper QB because he had the exact same motion every time the ball was snapped of the pass interference call late in the game on Jasper when the ball was clearly tipped at the line of scrimmage, or when the ball should have been ruled down on the play that Gilmer picked up the fumble and scored, these are just a few.

ALLSPORTSGUY
12-20-2004, 04:18 PM
nm

TXMike
12-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard
For instance the non call when the Gilmer QB through the ball away out of bounds while still in the pocket, or the hard count call on the Jasper QB because he had the exact same motion every time the ball was snapped of the pass interference call late in the game on Jasper when the ball was clearly tipped at the line of scrimmage, or when the ball should have been ruled down on the play that Gilmer picked up the fumble and scored, these are just a few.

Clearly most of these are things one would have to see before he could make an intelligent comment on them as they are judgment calls. But if the pass was tipped, and the officials saw that it was tipped, there is no excuse for a pass int flag. Did any of the refs give the tipped pass signal as soon as it was tipped?

JasperDog94
12-20-2004, 05:53 PM
This type of comment from fans, and sometimes even coaches make it, is the most profundly ignorant comment with regards to how football is officiated. Why is it that some folks cannot accept the fact that sometimes one team will have more penalties than the other? If one team is committing more fouls, what should the refs do, start making up calls on the other team so they can ensure an "EQUAL NUMBER" is called? Or should they start ignoring the fouls of the team which is committing more? I say again...JUST BECAUSE ONE TEAM IS FOULING DOE SNOT MEAN THE OTHER IS AS WELL. I'm sorry you feel this way. There were mistakes on both sides of the ball. Linemen down field, illegal formation, questionable calls against Jasper, etc... Like Junkyard said, you'd be hard pressed to watch that game and try to justify why all but 1 call went against Jasper while Gilmer was "almost perfect". All I'm saying is that Gilmer seemed to do no wrong in the officials eyes even though there were several no calls.

olddawggreen
12-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I like that! We didn't lose, we just ran out of time! :D I think it would be fair to say that Jasper definitely had the momentum toward the end. :)

Man, I definatly know how that feels:doh: :eek:

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Man, I definatly know how that feels:doh: :eek:

:crying: So do I. :crying: :weeping:

TXMike
12-20-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry you feel this way. There were mistakes on both sides of the ball. Linemen down field, illegal formation, questionable calls against Jasper, etc... Like Junkyard said, you'd be hard pressed to watch that game and try to justify why all but 1 call went against Jasper while Gilmer was "almost perfect". All I'm saying is that Gilmer seemed to do no wrong in the officials eyes even though there were several no calls.

I did not see the game but an a fellow ref (who happens to be a Big XII official by the way) did see it and thought the game was well officiated. He definitely had no dog in the fight and is just a fan of HS football.

JasperDog94
12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
I did not see the game but an a fellow ref (who happens to be a Big XII official by the way) did see it and thought the game was well officiated. He definitely had no dog in the fight and is just a fan of HS football. That surprises me. I've seen many games and this was one of the most lob sided as far as officiating goes. I have all the respect for you guys. You have a tough job. I know sometimes you get the call and sometimes you don't. This was definitely a time when I think Gilmer got the respect for some reason or another. I don't know how you miss an illegal formation...unless the ref on Gilmer's side was letting the receiver play a full yard off the ball and still call on the line.

3afan
12-20-2004, 08:36 PM
..... I think Gilmer got the respect for some reason or another. ....

ugh - IMO this interprets as "the officials cheated for gilmer" .....

JasperDog94
12-20-2004, 08:50 PM
When you get this far into the season, everyone has heard about the teams left. Gilmer is affectionatly known as "The Greatest Show on Turf". A team with no losses, a great air attack, great receivers, and a great defense. Jasper's a team with 3 losses that just seems to hang in there and make good plays.

So, when a defender is covering a receiver that has made plays all night long and finally has someone right there to knock the ball away, maybe a thought goes through your mind. "Wow. Gilmer's a great passing team and he didn't catch the ball. Must've been due to pass interference because he's been making plays all game."

Maybe that's correct, maybe it's not. But a 7:1 penalty ratio is unacceptable to me. The only flag they threw on Gilmer was one they had to throw. I know you're going to come back with something like "sour grapes" or "no class" but you watch the tape, look yourself in the mirror and then tell yourself that you wouldn't be upset at all if you were in our shoes.

3afan
12-20-2004, 09:11 PM
yeah i probably would be upset about it .... can't argue with that

but, being a TASO official myself, i'll (almost) always defend the refs/umps unless i see something with my own eyes to make me feel differently ... so i'm done on this one.

BuckeyeGuy
12-21-2004, 12:18 AM
If any of you guys want a video of the game, CAN get a copy of the tape for you, but it will take a few days as I'm out of town on business right now and am going to Las Vegas on Christmas Day for 4 days. I am not looking to make money on the deal, but I'd have to charge to cover my time and costs of a VHS tape. The whole thing, including pre-game is about 5 hrs. and 5 mins. long. I haven't had the chance to watch the video yet, but I DO KNOW that the officials were recommended by JASPER, and they were from Austin. I'm not completely sure the 3rd interception of Johnson wasn't trapped either. The bottom line is NEITHER of these teams deserved to lose. IF Jasper had gone DI, they would not have been stopped by anyone, and there's no doubt Jasper will get their ring, probably next year from what I saw out there Saturday night. It was a game that we'll all remember for the rest of our lives.

JasperDog94
12-21-2004, 12:22 AM
yeah i probably would be upset about it .... can't argue with that

but, being a TASO official myself, i'll (almost) always defend the refs/umps unless i see something with my own eyes to make me feel differently ... so i'm done on this one. That's understandable. Like I said, if you really want to know what we're talking about, just watch the game.

Buckeyeman
12-21-2004, 12:47 AM
The officials obviously didn't see all the Gilmer penalties that the Jasper fans supposedly saw. Seems like some Jasper fans just can't accept the fact that they lost the game and are not the state champions. They played an outstanding game but just came up short. Better luck next year. Remember it's only a game. There are more important things in life than football. Life goes on.

JasperDog94
12-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Very true. But remember this is a football board so we're gonna talk football.:)

89JDAWG
12-21-2004, 11:57 AM
ok the 2-point conversion was good had a chance to watch it and we didnt need to watch it in slow motion either but we did I have no idea what the ref on the side of the camera was thinking!! Patton was hit at the one and then rolled into the endzone. half of his body including the ball clearly crossed the goal line! when he finally touched the turf it was his waist that landed on the goal line. Their was many many calls that was made against Jasper that is questionable at best! On the other hand many calls were not called against gilmer such as offensive pass interference that was very very obvious. and right in front of the ref that called the interference call against us in the 4th. who knows? but at the very least the 2-point conversion should not have been a judgement call.

Astrosdawg07
12-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
ok the 2-point conversion was good had a chance to watch it and we didnt need to watch it in slow motion either but we did I have no idea what the ref on the side of the camera was thinking!! Patton was hit at the one and then rolled into the endzone. half of his body including the ball clearly crossed the goal line! when he finally touched the turf it was his waist that landed on the goal line. Their was many many calls that was made against Jasper that is questionable at best! On the other hand many calls were not called against gilmer such as offensive pass interference that was very very obvious. and right in front of the ref that called the interference call against us in the 4th. who knows? but at the very least the 2-point conversion should not have been a judgeme
nt call.

In my opinion the refs should have gave the 2pt Conversion to Jasper just for the sole point in that no-1 saw the actual play good. What does it hurt for the game to be tied and we play OT. But for the State Title to be decided on a judgement call, it hurts:doh: ....By thats just my own opinion.

89JDAWG
12-21-2004, 12:59 PM
my point was that how could he not have seen it good the camera man was standing right next to him. The ref should be confident enough to make the decision and he was'nt.

Astrosdawg07
12-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I know, I was just adding to it:D

BIGGBROTHER
12-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Blah blah blah jasper lost blah

Astrosdawg07
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
Blah blah blah jasper lost blah

Your a Brilliant one :D !

3afan
12-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
In my opinion the refs should have gave the 2pt Conversion to Jasper just for the sole point in that no-1 saw the actual play good. What does it hurt for the game to be tied and we play OT. But for the State Title to be decided on a judgement call, it hurts:doh: ....By thats just my own opinion.

you can only call what you see ...... an official can absolutely never assume a play - he must SEE it, then call it .......... what you state is the exact opposite of what officials are taught

and, 95% of the calls are judgement calls ....

:rolleyes:

YBS
12-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Goldenstick
Pugh Beccair was pretty good too

Ok, ok. I was wrong. Maybe I'm just bias to Brendan Arch b/c he was probably the FASTEST kicker we ever had. I wanna say he played wideout too...and good.

YBS
12-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Jasper's best kicker is playing baseball right now.:doh:

Astrosdawg, if you consider it...Jasper and the Stros had very eerily similar season. Both were expected to go far before the season, both struggled during the regular season and were then expected to not do well, both made the playoffs and got farther than late season critics and fans expected. Both were led by a young talent few had ever heard of, but everyone knows about them both now! I think Jasper's prospects for next year a lil' higher than the Stros at this point though :(

Goldenstick
12-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Goldenstick
Pugh Beccair was pretty good too

I thought this guy's name was kind of funny

tdsteele
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
That name can't be real? Can it?

redraidersister
12-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Yes, Brenden was good, and I don't recall anyone that has been that accurate since then. And, I must apologize for misspelling Skye Jones' name yesterday, and thank you to the one who pointed it out to me!!!!:D

pakrat
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Ok all you folks posting to this thread, it's crying over spilled milk but Jasper did everything they needed to put the game in overtime and got screwed. I think all the carrying on by Gilmer's players may have helped persuade the ref to give them the call.
Jasper's boys looked like they were afraid to celebrate for fear of getting a flag. I saw the ball cross the plane of the goal line and expected the 2 points. Didn't happen. I saw this game and the Diboll game. Diboll's "D" must have been better!:D

YBS
12-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by pakrat
Ok all you folks posting to this thread, it's crying over spilled milk but Jasper did everything they needed to put the game in overtime and got screwed. I think all the carrying on by Gilmer's players may have helped persuade the ref to give them the call.
Jasper's boys looked like they were afraid to celebrate for fear of getting a flag. I saw the ball cross the plane of the goal line and expected the 2 points. Didn't happen. I saw this game and the Diboll game. Diboll's "D" must have been better!:D

Diboll was a very underrated team, and we hadn't "gelled" at that point in the playoffs. Go figure:confused: We need to be sure and get it all together before the 2nd round of the playoffs next year.

3afan
12-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by YBS
Diboll was a very underrated team, and we hadn't "gelled" at that point in the playoffs. Go figure:confused: We need to be sure and get it all together before the 2nd round of the playoffs next year.

if you hadn't gelled by week 12 then it wasn't going to happen i'm afraid ........

YBS
12-22-2004, 09:20 AM
if you hadn't gelled by week 12 then it wasn't going to happen i'm afraid ........

Well, we hadn't. We didn't gel IMO until the 2nd round of the playoffs. Our first solid game was against Cameron Yoe. After that we got better as the playoffs rolled on. No need to fear :D It happened!

pinecone
12-22-2004, 11:50 AM

3afan, I would hate for you to referee a game in which Jasper played. Every comment you make regarding Jasper is NEGATIVE.
You have a bias already and it shows. All this carping about ref's being impartial is a bunch of hooee. They may start the game impartial but after the game progresses, it's hard for them not to wish the win for one of the teams. They are just human and some of the better football fans in the state. The mature referees will still call a good game most of the time. No one is accusing the ref's of being really bad. They blew a call, period! Maybe more than one call. You were not at the game but you have a lot to say about what happened. You are just going to come back and call me a sore loser, but if we can't discuss the controversial plays on this board, then what is this board for?
:thinking:

About not jelling earlier in the season. How about so many of the team being injured. Jordan Patton missed 2 of the games we lost.
Almost all of our starters have missed games this year, and in the heart of the season, we had about 7 injured starters. We were just beginning to get them back in playing form. If you had seen the Bridge City game, you would have seen a pretty competent team missing only the starting QB and maybe one other.

Astrosdawg07
12-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by YBS
Astrosdawg, if you consider it...Jasper and the Stros had very eerily similar season. Both were expected to go far before the season, both struggled during the regular season and were then expected to not do well, both made the playoffs and got farther than late season critics and fans expected. Both were led by a young talent few had ever heard of, but everyone knows about them both now! I think Jasper's prospects for next year a lil' higher than the Stros at this point though :(

I dont think you understand though:eek: , Brandon Kines of the JHS baseball team has an absolute BOOT!!!:eek: Much better than any of our football players right now.

TXMike
12-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pinecone
All this carping about ref's being impartial is a bunch of hooee. They may start the game impartial but after the game progresses, it's hard for them not to wish the win for one of the teams. They are just human and some of the better football fans in the state.

If you honestly believe this then what the heck do we even play the games for? You are saying the officials are NOT impartial (or at least that they lose whatever impartiality they have once the game gets going). The impartiality of the refs is a basic foundation for the game. We can all accept that humands make mistakes in vision and/or make brain mistakes in applying the rules. But how can anyone accept that they are NOT impartial???

This reminds me of some of the folks who scream and holler about the "terrible things" the government has "deliberately" done, i.e. the tragedy at Waco. If you truly think your government did such a thing, why would you stand for it? Why wouldn't you either fight or move to a "better" place? If you truly think officials are not impartial why do you even stay involved with the game.

Maybe if you were reffing you would lose impartiality, but perhaps that is why you are not officiating anyway, you are not the knid of person who can do this.

Astrosdawg07
12-22-2004, 12:39 PM
:clap:

YBS
12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I dont think you understand though:eek: , Brandon Kines of the JHS baseball team has an absolute BOOT!!!:eek: Much better than any of our football players right now.

I haven't seen him. Stros, do whatever you can man to get the kid on the football field! Buy him a football, and a tee for Christmas, something!

Astrosdawg07
12-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by YBS
I haven't seen him. Stros, do whatever you can man to get the kid on the football field! Buy him a football, and a tee for Christmas, something!

I'm trying, his name is Brandon Kines and he's a Jr. this year.

pinecone
12-22-2004, 02:34 PM
If you honestly believe this then what the heck do we even play the games for? You are saying the officials are NOT impartial (or at least that they lose whatever impartiality they have once the game gets going). The impartiality of the refs is a basic foundation for the game. We can all accept that humands make mistakes in vision and/or make brain mistakes in applying the rules. But how can anyone accept that they are NOT impartial???

This reminds me of some of the folks who scream and holler about the "terrible things" the government has "deliberately" done, i.e. the tragedy at Waco. If you truly think your government did such a thing, why would you stand for it? Why wouldn't you either fight or move to a "better" place? If you truly think officials are not impartial why do you even stay involved with the game.

Maybe if you were reffing you would lose impartiality, but perhaps that is why you are not officiating anyway, you are not the knid of person who can do this.

When you quoted me, you left off a very important part of my post. I also said that a mature person would call a good game anyway. If I didn't believe that, I would do just like you say and quite being a football fan. I am not reffing because I am not the right gender and couldn't keep up with the likes of Jordan Patton or even the slowest lineman. But I do know that many of the refs
have to overcome physical problems like getting in shape every year and I respect them for that. We couldn't have the game without them. I have no disrespect for referees. I also have seen some pretty screwed up games in the past because of refs that were either uneducated, unable to see, or just plain messed up a call. I would bet that a lot of other people can too. Do you ref to get praise heaped on you by fans? I doubt it. You love the game, want to be where the action is, or just like making a little extra money. I have seen enough of your posts that I would not hesitate to let you ref for my team if it was my decision. :)

TXMike
12-22-2004, 03:01 PM
.... I am not reffing because I am not the right gender and couldn't keep up with the likes of Jordan Patton or even the slowest lineman. ....I also have seen some pretty screwed up games in the past because of refs that were either uneducated, unable to see, or just plain messed up a call. .....:)

We have women refs in many Chapters (including my own). And some of them are much more capable of staying up with Jordan Patton, whoever he is, than many of the men. Come on out. We take all comers (as long as you have no felony convictions).

I will agree that there are some refs who fit some or all the categories you listed but I have NEVER known one who I knew wanted a specific team to win or did anything deliberately to help that team. On that point , you and I apparently differ.

easttexan1
12-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I think there are refs that have a bias of some sort, but actually putting that bias to work would be something else. I think most flags are thrown as a reaction and due to the timing, it's almost impossible to believe they are intentional. I have to admit it that it makes you wonder sometimes, but the chance of one of the officials actually trying to change the result of a game is almost astronomically slim. In this case, I think that the guy in the white hat threw almost all the flags and at least twice when he was no where near the closest official. Maybe he was watching jasper closer, I don't know. I will say that Jasper typically has a tendency to be penalized more than the other team and I assume that must mean that we are doing something wrong. One of the most important things for Jasper to learn is to keep our mouths shut.

j_dog
12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
...And some of them are much more capable of staying up with Jordan Patton, whoever he is, than many of the men. ....
Jordan Patton is one of Jasper's senior running backs, and at 4.3 in the 40, and with his MOVES, few grown men are going to keep up with him! :D Not many his own age either! :)

TXMike
12-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I think there are refs that have a bias of some sort, but actually putting that bias to work would be something else. I think most flags are thrown as a reaction and due to the timing, it's almost impossible to believe they are intentional. I have to admit it that it makes you wonder sometimes, but the chance of one of the officials actually trying to change the result of a game is almost astronomically slim. In this case, I think that the guy in the white hat threw almost all the flags and at least twice when he was no where near the closest official. Maybe he was watching jasper closer, I don't know. I will say that Jasper typically has a tendency to be penalized more than the other team and I assume that must mean that we are doing something wrong. One of the most important things for Jasper to learn is to keep our mouths shut.

I know this sounds odd, but some of the more successful teams I have seen get penalized routinely more than the other teams. Several reasons for this:
1. They have the ball longer and offenses tend to get more penalties than defenses.
2. They are more aggressive and sometimes take it up to the edge and then just over.
3. When one team is dominant over another and there is no doubt about the outcome, some refs watch the winning team closer, sometimes in response to a whining coach on the losing side.
4. Some kids do not know how to handle winning and get cocky which can lead to flags against them

I have never seen Jasper play so I do not know if any of these even apply.

3afan
12-22-2004, 07:35 PM
.. Maybe he was watching jasper closer, I don't know. ....

implications here are ... ugh

JasperDog94
12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
implications here are ... ugh Have you seen the film yet?

3afan
12-22-2004, 08:23 PM
naw .. not sure how i ever will ......

JasperDog94
12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I just feel that it's a little unfair for you to judge some of the Jasper posters and the way that they feel when you haven't seen the film. Please don't take offense at this, but until you do you really have no basis for judging whether or not the game was call accurately. Several people have seen the replay and think that Jasper got the raw end of the deal. If you saw it and disagreed, that's one thing. But to sit here act like we have no right to criticize the officials IMO is wrong.

TXMike
12-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Not sure who this last post was directed at but if it was me. I'll respond.

#1 - I don't think I ever said anything about not criticizing the officials FOR LEGITMATE MISTAKES. I did say that it is ludicrous to blame whatever mistakes you saw on bias. We are more than capable of making mistakes without having to be biased.

#2 - I have seen plenty of video in the past which has been sent in by various schools wishing to complain about a call or calls in a game. About the best way I can out this is to say, sometimes a person sees what they want to see, even on video. Of all the calls that our film review committee has been asked to evaluate, about 10% were valid complaints.

3afan
12-23-2004, 07:41 AM
... it is ludicrous to blame whatever mistakes you saw on bias. .....

...sometimes a person sees what they want to see, even on video. ...

thats my only point - to assume/imply there was bias is just wrong ... ... ... were mistakes made? maybe so, probably so based on what i've read here. but there was certainly no bias from one of the states best crews .....

by the way if anyone has a copy of the game & would be willing to send it to me i'd love to see it send it back to you ... PM me if you're interested!

happy holidays !!!

YBS
12-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Not that anyone on this thread cares, BUT....

The UIL just apologized for an innacurate call the refs made against Jasper during the State Championship game. Jordan Patton crossed the goalline before fumbling the ball on the 2-point conversion in the 4th quarter. No extra actions will be taken. :thinking:

fred grunden
12-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by YBS

The UIL just apologized for an innacurate call the refs made against Jasper during the State Championship game. Jordan Patton crossed the goalline before fumbling the ball on the 2-point conversion in the 4th quarter. No extra actions will be taken. :thinking:

I CARE!!! Is this true???

Jason1725
12-24-2004, 12:24 PM
I will try to find this out the next few days, if anyone can confirm this please post it here.

Astrosdawg07
12-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by YBS

THIS BETTER BE A JOKE OR I WILL KILL SOMEONE!:eek: WHY COULDN'T THEY TAKE ANY ACTION! THEY DO IN BASEBALL!:doh:

YBS
12-24-2004, 12:33 PM
THIS BETTER BE A JOKE OR I WILL KILL SOMEONE!:eek: WHY COULDN'T THEY TAKE ANY ACTION! THEY DO IN BASEBALL!:doh:

Someone grab this man's sharp objects, STAT! Look for something in the next edition of the News-Boy.

Astrosdawg07
12-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by YBS
Someone grab this man's sharp objects, STAT! Look for something in the next edition of the News-Boy.

Honestly though, we did you get you information from?

YBS
12-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Honestly though, we did you get you information from?

Neighbor who knows some of the coaches...really.

Astrosdawg07
12-24-2004, 12:50 PM
:crying: :weeping: :foul: How do you explain this to our boys. Ya we really tied for the state championship, but since it's to late now they gave it to Gilmer, What the :foul: ! I feel so bad for our boys along with coach Louve. GO DAWGS!!!

NSUTrumpet08
12-24-2004, 02:39 PM
As much as I would have liked the Dawgs to win, i don't think the UIL will turn over the call about the 2-point conversion call. They rarely have overturned anything. If the refs missed the call, the miss the call unfortunately...

TXMike
12-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Sounds like someone's idea of an early April Fool's joke. I have never heard of UIL apoligizing for a "blown call". although I have known individual officiating Chapters to admit to officiating errors. And as for taking any action even if they did, forget about it. There are no provisions to replay a game, take points away, etc once the game is over. It would set a precedent that would have such disastrous impact we might just as well stop playing games all together.

Junkyard
12-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I agree withyou TXMike to set this kind of precedent would not be good for high school football. And to me the blown 2pt. conversion call was not the most costly blown call. If you take away a few more of the bad calls and the 2pt. call makes no difference in the game.

LST_Terry
12-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Very Surprised the UIL apologized since their annual review of State Title games does not take place till after the Holidays.

j_dog
12-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Yes, I will believe it when I see it printed in something like the Houston Chronicle. Otherwise, the game is over, let's move on. We already know the Dogs played their hearts out and could have won if the breaks had fallen right. :) Win or lose that game, they are still my Champions! :clap:

Astrosdawg07
12-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Yes, I will believe it when I see it printed in something like the Houston Chronicle. Otherwise, the game is over, let's move on. We already know the Dogs played their hearts out and could have won if the breaks had fallen right. :) Win or lose that game, they are still my Champions! :clap:

Good note to end this thread on! PEACE OUT!!! :wave:

JasperDog94
12-24-2004, 11:17 PM
There are no provisions to replay a game, take points away, etc once the game is over. It would set a precedent that would have such disastrous impact we might just as well stop playing games all together. Nor should there be. That would set a terrible precedent. I think all the Jasper folks were looking for was an apology. An "I mess up" or an "I blew that call. Sorry." Just a little recognition, that's all. And it sounds like we got it.:)

Jody
12-27-2004, 07:30 AM
3afan,

Do me a favor and see if you can watch the "missed" two point conversion at the end of the game. If you can, I'd be curious as to what you thought about that call.

I was sitting on the goal line grass hill when this play happened. The Jasper guy was in the endzone by a foot, but got pulled back when the pile occured.

I am non bias, so take it for what it is worth. Great game!

YBS
12-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Sounds like someone's idea of an early April Fool's joke. I have never heard of UIL apoligizing for a "blown call". although I have known individual officiating Chapters to admit to officiating errors. And as for taking any action even if they did, forget about it. There are no provisions to replay a game, take points away, etc once the game is over. It would set a precedent that would have such disastrous impact we might just as well stop playing games all together.

they didn't overturn the call...just as you said, they apologized for missing the call

Jason1725
12-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Has anyone confirmed this yet? I did hear from a pretty good source that the refs are gonna get a 5-game suspension.

LST_Terry
12-27-2004, 06:29 PM
THEY HAVE NOT REVIEWED ANYTHING YET..The UIL does not meet till after the New Year ( around the 10th or so I think) to review the officiating, and there is not even word of they will review this game and if they do there will not be an offical report because they do not release their findings.

3afan
12-27-2004, 06:31 PM
3afan, I would hate for you to referee a game in which Jasper played. Every comment you make regarding Jasper is NEGATIVE.
You have a bias already and it shows. All this carping about ref's being impartial is a bunch of hooee. They may start the game impartial but after the game progresses, it's hard for them not to wish the win for one of the teams. They are just human and some of the better football fans in the state. The mature referees will still call a good game most of the time. No one is accusing the ref's of being really bad. They blew a call, period! Maybe more than one call. You were not at the game but you have a lot to say about what happened. You are just going to come back and call me a sore loser, but if we can't discuss the controversial plays on this board, then what is this board for?
:thinking:

About not jelling earlier in the season. How about so many of the team being injured. Jordan Patton missed 2 of the games we lost.
Almost all of our starters have missed games this year, and in the heart of the season, we had about 7 injured starters. We were just beginning to get them back in playing form. If you had seen the Bridge City game, you would have seen a pretty competent team missing only the starting QB and maybe one other.

nope - i didnt care 1 lick who won that game - i was just defending the integrity of the officials, no more, no less ...... maybe they did blow a call, sound like they probably did (which i have already said), but to question their integrity is about the worst you can do ....

oh, and i challenge you to find where i made a negative comment about Jasper - i've done nothing except defend the officials ....

BIGHANK
12-27-2004, 06:36 PM
i swear jasper fans this is why people dont want to play yall.... yall can never let one go

spiveyrat
12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by BIGHANK
i swear jasper fans this is why people dont want to play yall.... yall can never let one go

And this is why I enjoy all our wins over Diboll. :tongue:

3afan
12-27-2004, 07:35 PM
that was toooo easy ............

jasper_dawgs
12-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Good note to end this thread on! PEACE OUT!!!

Do you REALLY think this thread will ever end. I will continue to think we got ripped off.....although I think we are still STATE CHAMPIONS without a ring.:p

Bullaholic
12-28-2004, 11:09 AM
nope - i didnt care 1 lick who won that game - i was just defending the integrity of the officials, no more, no less ...... maybe they did blow a call, sound like they probably did (which i have already said), but to question their integrity is about the worst you can do ....

oh, and i challenge you to find where i made a negative comment about Jasper - i've done nothing except defend the officials ....

I'm with 3AFan on this one.....I don't know much about Jasper except they had an outstanding football team that fell 2 points short in the final game. But I do know a lot of officials, and I will defy you to ever find one who has made a call because they didn't "like" the other team or had a pecuniary interest in the outcome of a game. They do the best that can--have the same feelings as the rest of us--and make mistakes, just like us. It is unfortunate when one of those mistakes has major efffect on the outcome of any contest. I have always maintained that any fan has the right to disagree about an official's call at any time, but crosses the line when they attack an official's integrity or make personal attacks on an official. I also did not copy any attacks on the Jasper team by 3AFan in any of his posts. To offer an opinion which may disagree with another's view is not an attack but falls into the area of discussion, and hopefully, intelligent discussion, for which I have always found 3AFan's football opinions qualify. Jasper gained a lot of respect from the entire state this year, and I have no doubt that they will only add to that next season.

j-hawks
12-28-2004, 12:42 PM
I heard from my cousins friends aunts hairdreasers sisters boyfriend that the UIL will overturn the game and give the championship to Jasper. HA HA. The post on here are amazing. The hope of anything changing is stupid. The UIL hasn't done anything. Why do people claim they heard from a "good source" that they have, I will never know other than the fact that they are blinded by their inability to accept the outcome of the game. What they want to happen never will so they have to depend on "good sources."
I've seen the tape of the game and I agree with the post that says that sometimes, no matter if it is live or on tape, people see what they want to.
Jasper was a great team and deserved to be in the title game and won the respect of the Gilmer Buckeyes. To bad that the Bucks didn't win the respect of the dawgs.

3afan
12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by jasper_dawgs
Do you REALLY think this thread will ever end. I will continue to think we got ripped off.....although I think we are still STATE CHAMPIONS without a ring.:p

only in America !!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :thumbsup:

3afan
12-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by j-hawks
.... To bad that the Bucks didn't win the respect of the dawgs.

huh? :confused:

Jody
12-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'm with 3AFan on this one.....I don't know much about Jasper except they had an outstanding football team that fell 2 points short in the final game. But I do know a lot of officials, and I will defy you to ever find one who has made a call because they didn't "like" the other team or had a pecuniary interest in the outcome of a game. They do the best that can--have the same feelings as the rest of us--and make mistakes, just like us. It is unfortunate when one of those mistakes has major efffect on the outcome of any contest. I have always maintained that any fan has the right to disagree about an official's call at any time, but crosses the line when they attack an official's integrity or make personal attacks on an official. I also did not copy any attacks on the Jasper team by 3AFan in any of his posts. To offer an opinion which may disagree with another's view is not an attack but falls into the area of discussion, and hopefully, intelligent discussion, for which I have always found 3AFan's football opinions qualify. Jasper gained a lot of respect from the entire state this year, and I have no doubt that they will only add to that next season.

Point well taken.... I would however suggest you play a football game in Anahuac, Texas if you want to find some home town calls........;) It is quite bad there on a consistent basis, regardless of the sporting event.

Jody
12-28-2004, 05:16 PM
The best team won this game. That QB from Gilmer was just awsome! Not to mention he had some very talented kids cathing the football. Even with a two point conversion call that was questionable, Jasper made a game of it and would have most likely won had they been able to kick extra points. Not having a kicker in the playoffs kills a lot of teams. It easily could have cost them the game against Cameron Yoe.

Better luck next year Jasper. It won't be as easy getting there is 2005, having to go through a even better Barbers Hill team. :D

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Get over it:hand:

Jason1725
12-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Why do people claim they heard from a "good source"

My "good source" about the refs being suspended came from Zach Bronson, you might have heard of him he plays safety for the ST. Louis Rams

Buckeyeman
12-28-2004, 06:48 PM
I am sooo sick of the Jasper people complaining about the officiating. It started right after the game. As we headed out to the parking lot I overheard several Jasper fans blaming the officials for them losinf the game. Did they complain this bad after their other 3 loses? I guess to them the other team never deserves to win just because they were better.

I can only add one more thing:

GILMER BUCKEYES
2004 STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!

Get over it Jasper fans.

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Buckeyeman
I am sooo sick of the Jasper people complaining about the officiating. It started right after the game. As we headed out to the parking lot I overheard several Jasper fans blaming the officials for them losinf the game. Did they complain this bad after their other 3 loses? I guess to them the other team never deserves to win just because they were better.

GILMER BUCKEYES
2004 STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!

Get over it Jasper fans.

Hope some Jasper fans don’t know what you look like and see you somewhere secluded. Wait, ya I do, Kick his or her A$$!!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES WE GOT HOSED, BUT I PROMISE WINNING THE 2005 STATE TITLE WILL HEAL THOSE HEARTS!!!!

Buckeyeman
12-28-2004, 07:12 PM
I was just stating the facts of what I overheard after the game.
By the way, do they allow threats on this board?

TXMike
12-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Has anyone confirmed this yet? I did hear from a pretty good source that the refs are gonna get a 5-game suspension.

Sounds like your source may have been the same one that said there were WMD's all over Iraq. There are officials in this state who have made far worse calls and there has never been a "5 game suspension" . Furthermore, there is not even a provision in the by laws of the official's association which would permit a suspension for judgement call errors.

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Buckeyeman
I was just stating the facts of what I overheard after the game.
By the way, do they allow threats on this board?

Oh come on! That aint a threat!

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Sounds like your source may have been the same one that said there were WMD's all over Iraq. There are officials in this state who have made far worse calls and there has never been a "5 game suspension" . Furthermore, there is not even a provision in the by laws of the official's association which would permit a suspension for judgement call errors.

Stop talking about my boy George W. Please!!!:(

Gilmer Buckeye
12-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Jasper would have been 2004 Division I state champs if you had been able to go that route as you normally do. I don't think it's a good system when a high school with well over 800 students even goes into Division II. There is no way Gilmer expected to see Jasper in their division.

OTOH, Gilmer nearly went Division I. Gladewater barely won its last game or we would have. We would have been Division I state champs this year as well. It's just too bad the teams weren't in different divisions. Then the two best teams would have both been champs.

The Dawgs played a great game. You might even have been Division II state champs if you had a kicking game. I have never seen as entertaining a run-oriented offense as the one utilized by Jasper--the "fullhouse" shotgun.

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Buckeyeman, why can't you be as classy as my friend Gilmer Buckeye! :D

Old Cardinal
12-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I have to agree with Jody from Barbers Hill on the crucial call at 4 minute 24 seconds till the end of the game. The Jasper back went over the goal line by at lease a foot! It was interesting in that the Head Linesman was shaking his head "no" before the Jasper back reached the line of scrimmage. I was directly looking down the goal line when this play took place and Jasper should have got two points and tied the game! Instead the Joker put the ball down on the 2 inches line--still shaking his head--no!

This was like playing a ballgame at Anahuac or at the PNG Reservation!

Ranger Mom
12-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Hope some Jasper fans don’t know what you look like and see you somewhere secluded. Wait, ya I do, Kick his or her A$$!!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES WE GOT HOSED, BUT I PROMISE WINNING THE 2005 STATE TITLE WILL HEAL THOSE HEARTS!!!!

Simmer down dawg07, there's no reason to even go there!

Astrosdawg07
12-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Simmer down dawg07, there's no reason to even go there!

:D

Jason1725
12-29-2004, 12:48 AM

GILMER BUCKEYES
2004 STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!

Get over it Jasper fans.

I am sick of the fact the refs played such a huge part in the outcome of this game. Gilmer was not the better team I am sorry but the film shows Patton got across for the two points. The game was and should be 49-49

Jason1725
12-29-2004, 12:55 AM

Nope that came from Zach Bronson of the Rams. I have not talked to George H. Bush, Bill Clinton, or George W. Bush

BIGHANK
12-29-2004, 03:10 AM
And this is why I enjoy all our wins over Diboll.

our.....our......... you mean their. dude did you even play football or do you even play and i mean play you havent the slightest clue do you. you can run that mouth of yours all you want but just wait.

ps: yalls ..... oh wait i mean jaspers time is just about up. trust me.

BIGHANK
12-29-2004, 03:11 AM
GOOD JOB
GILMER

Port_town_texas
12-29-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Jody
Point well taken.... I would however suggest you play a football game in Anahuac, Texas if you want to find some home town calls........;) It is quite bad there on a consistent basis, regardless of the sporting event. that's what I said at the beginning when i got onto this board! and someone blasted me for saying it.

TXMike
12-29-2004, 06:37 AM

Nope that came from Zach Bronson of the Rams. I have not talked to George H. Bush, Bill Clinton, or George W. Bush

Please tell me that you don't think just because someone is a player at a different level that makes him the "source of all knowledge" about football at levels other than his own, specifically about administrative matters connected to the Texas Assn of Sports Officials.

Jason1725
12-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Please tell me that you don't think just because someone is a player at a different level that makes him the "source of all knowledge" about football at levels other than his own, specifically about administrative matters connected to the Texas Assn of Sports Officials.

Thats not what I said, the guy before was being smart saying something about WMD. I just said that is what I heard and who said it. I agree 100% that just because he plays for the NFL doesn't make him an expert. I have never heard him say anything about Iraq having WMD's though.

Port_town_texas
12-29-2004, 08:54 AM
ok, im'ma end this right now since i know alil bit about the situation. NO we have NOT found ANY WMD. And doubt if we do. They had the POTENTIAL to make them.

NSUTrumpet08
12-29-2004, 10:57 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc11.jpg

Jody
12-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
Jasper would have been 2004 Division I state champs if you had been able to go that route as you normally do. I don't think it's a good system when a high school with well over 800 students even goes into Division II. There is no way Gilmer expected to see Jasper in their division.

OTOH, Gilmer nearly went Division I. Gladewater barely won its last game or we would have. We would have been Division I state champs this year as well. It's just too bad the teams weren't in different divisions. Then the two best teams would have both been champs.

The Dawgs played a great game. You might even have been Division II state champs if you had a kicking game. I have never seen as entertaining a run-oriented offense as the one utilized by Jasper--the "fullhouse" shotgun.

I think Gilmer was a better team than a Cuero, Abeline Wylie, or any other Div I #-A school. Every now and again some schools just have a few years of deep talent. Once you get east of the San Jacinto river, there are always good football teams to be found.

YBS
12-29-2004, 12:40 PM
No one has to agree or disagree w/ what I posted. I posted it b/c I heard it and that's it. I'm waiting for official confirmation or denial and will stand by it until then. If you don't believe it or have direct ties to the UIL or whatever then don't believe it. That's your right. If you're tired of Jasper fans posting about this game...

GO TO ANOTHER THREAD :eek:

Ranger Mom
12-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Just a word of warning...if this starts getting ugly and/or goes off on a tangent that has nothing to do with anything...it will be closed!

TXMike
12-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by YBS
No one has to agree or disagree w/ what I posted. I posted it b/c I heard it and that's it. I'm waiting for official confirmation or denial and will stand by it until then. If you don't believe it or have direct ties to the UIL or whatever then don't believe it. That's your right. If you're tired of Jasper fans posting about this game...

GO TO ANOTHER THREAD :eek:

This is right out of the conspiracy thoerist's playbook. Make outrageous accusations without any basis of fact and then dare someone to prove they are not true.

Because you "heard it" unofficially it is true until you hear a denial "officially" ???

Bottom line..if it can help some of you sleep better to think you were "robbed", more power to you.

slpybear the bullfan
12-29-2004, 08:05 PM

Dawg... It does sound like a threat. Let's take the high road from here on out... okay?

olddawggreen
12-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Man, gone for the holidays and you guys are still talking about this when I get back. Get over it and prepare for next year. Right or wrong, things happen. Hold your head up, be proud of your teams accomplishments and move on.:)

JasperDog94
12-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BIGHANK
GOOD JOB
GILMER For doing what we couldn't...:D :D :D

Astrosdawg07
12-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Dawg... It does sound like a threat. Let's take the high road from here on out... okay?

MY BAD:D :cool:

YBS
12-31-2004, 09:32 AM
This is right out of the conspiracy thoerist's playbook. Make outrageous accusations without any basis of fact and then dare someone to prove they are not true.

Because you "heard it" unofficially it is true until you hear a denial "officially" ???

Bottom line..if it can help some of you sleep better to think you were "robbed", more power to you.

Just like the refs "saw" those calls but until they reviewed the tape they stood by their calls :thinking:

fred grunden
12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Just my thoughts on the title game. It was eerily similar to the playoff loss to 4A Willowridge in 1983. Only thing different was the weather. It rained steadily in '83 when we had the ball. It would quit when they had the ball. We fumbled 3 times and lost all 3 of them, they fumbled 3 times and got it back evey time. The similarities start with the way the calls went in both games. We were driving and had made it to about the 4 yd line in the '83 game and then get a flag for offsides which Walkoviak questioned the ref about and was told that the wide out was lining up in the neutral zone and he had been doing it all night. Coach said he asked the ref why didn't he call it on the other end of the field, why did he wait until it would hurt us the most. This yr. we got a similar type call with the illegal procedure penalty when we were on the 2 yd line in the 2nd qtr. about to score (we thought). Don't know what we did different from the way we have run plays all year, but must have been something. What happened in the '83 game that was very similar to the Gilmer game was an apparent touchdown scored but ruled a fumble. Here is a quote from the Beaumont Enterprise, Dec 1, 1983:

" Jasper almost had a TD in the 2nd qtr, going 80 yds from their 19 yd line. Some neutral gate-hangers -- Pasadena Police-- contend they saw a robbery committed in their presence. Ricky Limbrick it appeared from the cops end zone position, penetrated the goal line and was thrown back and was on the ground when he let go of the ball. But the judges ruled that it was no score, a fumble and Willowridge owned the ball."

We lost the game 10-6. My son was on the field playing offensive tackle. He said our man thought the play was over, he had already scored and let the ball go. Moral here - Never let go of the ball. The other team can put on a convincing act of celebration and cost you big. And that is also my opinion of what happened in the Gilmer game. They stripped the ball after it had been in the end zone and were celebrating with it and the refs didn't know what happened and didn't award the 2 points because when they unpiled everybody, Gilmer had the ball.

Am I saying this 2 pt. call cost us the game? NO! there were other things that could have happened but didn't. We have had games go our way that we could just as easily have lost. You have to have a little luck (along with talent) and we had plenty, just not enough to win the title game.