PDA

View Full Version : GA Moore stepping down

HighSchool Fan
12-18-2004, 03:25 AM
Texas football is fixing to lose one of the classiest coaches of all time.

Pilot Point coach to retire after 412 victories
12:43 AM CST on Saturday, December 18, 2004

By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News

Pilot Point's G.A. Moore, Texas' all-time winningest high school football coach, will retire at the end of the school year.

On Friday, Moore, who compiled 412 wins and eight state championships in 42 seasons, informed superintendent Cloyce Purcell, his coaches and players of his intentions to retire as the school's head football coach and athletic director.

Moore, 66, told Purcell two weeks ago that he was thinking of retiring. He spoke to Purcell on Friday morning to let him know he was intending to retire.

"It was difficult," Moore said. "The more I thought about it, the more I thought I should tell them now rather than wait. I guess there isn't a good time to do anything like this."

Purcell said Moore has not submitted official retirement paperwork with the school district and left the door open for Moore to return if he changes his mind.

"In the past, he's had a change of heart in these matters, so I'm not ruling anything out," Purcell said.

Moore coached 39 of his 42 seasons at two places – Pilot Point, his alma mater, and Celina. He won six state titles, including four straight from 1998-2001, at Celina. His other championships at Celina came in 1974 and 1995. He won back-to-back state titles in 1980 and '81 at Pilot Point.

Only Gordon Wood won more state titles in Texas. Moore surpassed Wood at the top of the state's all-time wins list in 2002. Moore ranks third on the nation's all-time wins list. Moore led Pilot Point to an 8-3 record this season.

Moore was in his third coaching stint at Pilot Point. He coached at Celina two different times. In March 2002, he left for Pilot Point after a 14-year stint at Celina. He struggled with his decision to leave Celina. He initially turned down Pilot Point's offer to return to his alma mater before several former players of his at Pilot Point talked him into it.

"I've been very blessed," Moore said. "I've always felt that I've had two hometowns. I've had tremendous support from both places."

Moore began his coaching career in 1962 by heading an eight-man team in Bryson. He posted a 5-5 record after Bryson entered the season with a 21-game losing streak. A season later, he went to Pilot Point, where he coached until 1970. Moore was out of coaching in 1971 to study to become a minister. He also coached at Sherman in 1986 and '87.

"A lot of thoughts and prayer went into this decision," Moore said. "I feel like this is the right thing to do."

Hupernikomen
12-18-2004, 10:36 AM
high school extra made it seem like he was forced out...or at least not what he wanted to do...I predict that the vocal assistant of his will be moving on as well.

Port_town_texas
12-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
high school extra made it seem like he was forced out...or at least not what he wanted to do...I predict that the vocal assistant of his will be moving on as well. I hope that wasn't the case.

PhiI C
12-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I wonder if he has more victories than any coach including high school, college and pro. I know Eddie Robinson at Grambling had 408 victories but during the war years he coached at a black high school in Grambling for two years (college didn't have a team those years because of WW2) and won two state championships. I wonder how many high school games he won those years. Can anyone help?

PhiI C
12-18-2004, 01:25 PM
If he really was forced out which I kind of doubt I hope he could get on somewhere for at least three more years. Aransas Pass are you on the phone. :)

VWG
12-19-2004, 09:46 AM
In High School football, GA Moore trailed only a coach out of South Carolina and another out of Louisiana for all time wins.

Keith7
12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I heard he didnt get enough support around town..