PDA

View Full Version : De La Salle's 151 game win streak

Bull's-eye
12-16-2004, 06:15 PM
De La Salle of Concord, Cal won 151 straight games until losing this past season's opening game to Bellevue. The last time they lost a game was in 1991. Their coach's record was 287-14-1, with 17 undefeated seasons. They are a private Catholic school and do have the advantage of "recruiting" players. Yet this is still very remarkable since there are alot of private schools that can recruit, but none have had the success of De La Salle. They also play a very difficult schedule, defeating some of our nation's best public and private high school teams.

Could a public school have this kind of winning streak? I don't think so.

jason
12-16-2004, 06:16 PM
put them against a top 3 5a school from texas and the texas team rolls.....

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by jason
put them against a top 3 5a school from texas and the texas team rolls..... ill buy that.

Bull's-eye
12-16-2004, 06:33 PM
I watched a program on ESPN about this team. They did defeat a Long Beach Poly team that had about 20 players go on to play college football. :thinking:

AggieJohn
12-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I watched a program on ESPN about this team. They did defeat a Long Beach Poly team that had about 20 players go on to play college football. :thinking:

yeah i saw that today, that POLY team was huge too

big daddy russ
12-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jason
put them against a top 3 5a school from texas and the texas team rolls..... I've got Texas pride, but I don't know if the Texas team would necessarily "roll." De La Salle has been scheduling top-10 teams nationally for the past 15 years and has only lost to one of them-- Bellevue. They beat Long Beach Poly handily the only time they've squared off (if I remember correctly, it was the 2000 season) and hung a W on powerhouse Santa Ana Mater Dei (against "the best Monarch team" that Mater Dei had ever fielded) the year before.

It's a shame California HS football is divided into two different championship regions. De La Salle (which is in the Bay Area) is in the North Division while Mater Dei and Poly are in the South. They never get to meet up in the playoffs.

AggieJohn
12-16-2004, 06:51 PM
i agree, i think that they run pretty good in CAL, but i just don't think taht football is as important as it is here

Bull's-eye
12-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Their coach doesn't allow any showboating, trash talking, bandannas or endzone celebrations. They usually recruit the smaller athletic players. That Long Beach Poly team's defensive line averaged 267 lbs, over 35 lbs more than De La Salle.

Bellville22
12-16-2004, 09:36 PM
I know the guy that introduced Ladecuer (sp?), the De La Salle coach, to his wife. Said he's a great guy, and runs a clean, tremendous program. I'm pretty sure DLS is a Catholic school, but I could be wrong. And I'd love to see some Texas schools play them, that's real football over there, too, would be a great matchup.