PDA

View Full Version : How does the all-state selection work?

Macarthur
12-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Some one please explain the process to me.

Phil C
12-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Politics! :)

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-17-2004, 10:11 AM
I believe that certain newspapers nominate players and each of the newspapers then get a vote. It is not all newspapers but ones associated withe the AP. I live in Vernon and our local newspaper doen't get a vote. Wichita Falls does though. So I would suspect that the players that are located closer to metropolitian areas have a better chance of getting nominated. Simply because those papers have covered them. I also believe that if you get nominated and then get at least 1 vote you make Honorable mention. I think that is how it works.

rockdale80
12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Politics! :)

And it's a shame too........

BlueBlood
12-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Actually, I think players are nominated by their coach (he includes stats). Then whoever is in charge makes up a ballot with the players names and stats and this is sent to the newspaper folks who vote. My hunch is that voters have only two things to help them with their decision--school name recognition (or reputation) and the stats presented on the ballots.
Some kids may not get nominated by their coach. Some coaches may fill out the ballot and not do a good job including stats and honors for the players. Most sportswriters will vote for the players in their area. Their could be a lot of factors for why a player didn't make the team or didn't finish on first team.

duckbutter
12-17-2004, 11:50 AM
The AP all state teams are done only by local AP newspapers and not the coaches.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-17-2004, 12:27 PM
The coaches usually do submit their star players with stats to the newspaper guys that can inturn nominate the player and then vote.

Macarthur
12-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks, guys. I thought it was voted on by writers. There's certainly no perfect system, but it really seems that many deserving kids get overlooked each year. I guess that's just a problem that you have to live with in a state as big as Texas.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Thanks, guys. I thought it was voted on by writers. There's certainly no perfect system, but it really seems that many deserving kids get overlooked each year. I guess that's just a problem that you have to live with in a state as big as Texas.

Andy Newberry at the Times Record News (Wichita Falls) has a vote! I was very surprised not to see any players from district 5 make the list. Last year I think we had 3.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-17-2004, 12:50 PM
There will also be the TSWA (sports writers) All State team that will come out after the first of the year. Also TexasPrepXtra will have an All Region Team Like ALL West Texas East Texas etc, but that list inludes all the classifications.