PDA

View Full Version : Best Texas Music Group/Artist yeah Red Dirt allowed too

Bubba-Joe
12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
List your favorite or who you think is the best Texas Music Group or Artist
Willie
and Steve Ray
if you need last names, your vote don't count .....
Cross Candian Ragweed
and Reckless Kelly - yeah I know neither are pure Texas but we love em anyway

pirate44
12-16-2004, 02:00 PM
ive been to 2 outdoor Pat Green shows at Concrete Street Amphitheater in Corpus Christi and they were great. Allot of fun. He's got my vote.

Bellville22
12-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Randy Rogers
Roger Creager
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Matt Powell
Reckless Kelly

....are my favorites.

Bubba-Joe
12-16-2004, 02:02 PM
had to pay bail on a buddy of mine in Lampasas during the Spring Ho Festivel that Pat Green played a couple years back
He would have done the same for Bubba

Ranger Mom
12-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
had to pay bail on a buddy of mine in Lampasas during the Spring Ho Festivel that Pat Green played a couple years back
He would have done the same for Bubba

Was it dirtroad or quailkiller??

You run with a rough crowd!!

Port_town_texas
12-16-2004, 02:04 PM
U.G.K. out of Port Arthur. best rap duo ever to come out the south!

Bubba-Joe
12-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Naw this old boy would have fit good with the Quailkiller/Dirtroad crew
We were all in the same profession
at the time
This old boy is a fireman these days

HighSchool Fan
12-16-2004, 02:05 PM
this one is a no brainer, the best artist to come out of Texas is George Strait.

Bubba-Joe
12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Saw George Strait at Chetham Street Warehouse in San Marcos Texas
for $2 cover charge
Yep I am that old
that boy is good...

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
element 80 rocks pretty hard, so did the toadies when they were together.

spiveyrat
12-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Can't forget ZZ Top!

44INAROW
12-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Don't hear much of them anymore, but I like Omar and the Howlers the Fabulous Thunderbirds :)

Rabbit'93
12-16-2004, 03:12 PM
I was all about the toadies back in the day. :D

PurpleFreddy
12-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Los Lonely Boys ...

pirate4state
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
I was all about the toadies back in the day. :D backslider...:clap:

Balboa
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
As far as texas country new comer Jared Medulla and the Brokedown band are going to be hot

rhs78
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
GEORGE STRAIT, WILLIE NELSON AND PAT GREEN IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT.

3afan
12-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Port_town_texas
U.G.K. out of Port Arthur. best rap duo ever to come out the south!

he said music !!!

LHSCheerleader
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Pat Green!! Charlie Robinson!! Roger Craeger!!! George Strait! Dixie Chicks!? haha..

anyways./... it doesn't get any better than Pat Green though... I've seen him every year at Fall Fandango!
and last year at HLSR

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
he said music !!! lol:rolleyes:

Manck
12-16-2004, 04:35 PM
How is everybody leaving out Buddy Holly, Bob Wills....my dad would shoot me for not sayin those.

Personally, I'm a big Reckless Kelly fan. Takes some balls to roll up to Gruene Hall in a Ford Taurus with the Don't Mess with Reckless sticker on it. They're playing in Dallas or Fort Worth the day after my birthday, but I'm gonna be in Europe...grr....

onfirebball05mustang
12-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Pat Green and George Strait...HANDS DOWN!!!
Los Lonely Boys are ok...Tango 9 was good (that is while they were together)

turbostud
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Dont forget about Dallas' own Pantera. Their guitarist was recently shot and killed onstage in Ohio with his new band Damageplan. Also Drowning Pool, I think they are from Princeton.

Rabbit'93
12-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Pantera was great "Far Beyond Driven" was my favorite album from them. Drowning Pool is OK. I had a bad experience with their manager at a club downtown. That kind of gave me a bad taste in my mouth about them.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Pantera was great "Far Beyond Driven" was my favorite album from them. Drowning Pool is OK. I had a bad experience with their manager at a club downtown. That kind of gave me a bad taste in my mouth about them. i think alot of us will refrain from comment on this one...hahahahaha:clap:

gobbler grad
12-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Randy Rogers
Roger Creager
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Matt Powell
Reckless Kelly

....are my favorites.

who is this randy rogers guy and what kind of music does he sing?:thinking:

Rabbit'93
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i think alot of us will refrain from comment on this one...hahahahaha:clap:

Good Grief...leave me alone!!!;) :D

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Willie, Waylon (and the boys).

There used to be a Lubbock band, The Maines Brothers. They played in Lubbock & Amarillo clubs mostly. This would've been early-mid 80's, for you West Texas folks. One of the brothers, Lloyd, played steel guitar for Jessie Taylor & Joe Ely. (Also father of Natalie Maines.)

BTW, I can't believe no one's said Joe Ely. :p :)

Bubba-Joe
12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Left out
Flatlanders
Robert Earl Keene
Freddy Fender
Omar and the Howlers
ZZ Top (That Little Band from Texas)
Janice Joplin
Kris Kristopherson

John Lee Hooker - best blues man ever - God rest his soul
Boom Boom Boom- if you aint never heard it you owe to yourself to give it a listen

Bellville22
12-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad

Randy Rogers is a newer guy, but he's really good. A Texas Country guy, one of the Pat Green/Charlie Robison followers. His CD has been a best seller on lonestarmusic.com for a few months now. Album's called "Rollercoaster", I highly recommend it.

Holmes_Fans
12-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Was it dirtroad or quailkiller??

You run with a rough crowd!!
I think they are posters

LALK
12-16-2004, 11:32 PM
tripxwire
at all cost
the contender
holdxfast
the juice

Highschoolfan78
12-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Lalk are all those west texas bands? I've never heard of any of 'em. I do know of a pretty decent ol' band down in Cuero texas called Donations though. May not be as talented as the pros, but they'll make ya laugh.

http://www.soundclick.com/donations

Adidas410s
12-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad

Randy Rogers is SO hot right now!!! :cool: I would not AT ALL lump him in with Charlie Robison though. He has a similar sound to Pat except a) more rock oriented and b) not as many songs directly about Texas (kinda odd that Pat is the ONLY "Texas Country" artist that gets hated on for not always writing about Texas). Anyways that is another topic...What I love about Randy is that a lot of his songs have "real life application." His latest album "Rollercoaster" is my favorite album of the year...even more than PG's Lucky Ones which I consider his 2nd best work behind the 3Days album.

Also, check out Wade Bowen. He is out of Waco and OH SO HOT RIGHT NOW!!! :cool: Him and Randy do A LOT of stuff together...including co-writing a lot songs. Pat's current single "Dont Break My Heart Again" is one that he co-wrote with Wade.

That being said, I would say that my top 3 "Texas MUSIC (cuz its NOT country)" guys would be:
1. Pat Green
2a. Randy Rogers Band
2b. Wade Bowen

For those of you who like message boards as much as me, head over to www.galleywinter.com. It is TRULY one big Texas Music loving family...even more so than over here. Also, I am a part of the PG Dancehall Fan Club now. Its a lot of the same people on both but the PG Fan Club has annual dues but the perks you get are MORE than worth it as you save 100's of $$$ each year on concerts, merch, etc...

Later on...

honeymd
12-17-2004, 07:36 AM
The Mesquite Bean Band

onfirebball05mustang
12-17-2004, 09:25 AM
uhm one more for ya....The Geezenslaws!
:p

Bubba-Joe
12-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Sam and Bob
mornings on KVET
Austin Radio
either you love em or you hate em
what a pair
Willie Wendsdays are great
Bar B Que Bob
and Hills Cafe
what a deal

onfirebball05mustang
12-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Sam and Bob
mornings on KVET
Austin Radio
either you love em or you hate em
what a pair
Willie Wendsdays are great
Bar B Que Bob
and Hills Cafe
what a deal

I've listened to Sam and Bob most every morning since I was little riding in the truck w/ my dad...ahh memories:D

44INAROW
12-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Lalk are all those west texas bands? I've never heard of any of 'em. I do know of a pretty decent ol' band down in Cuero texas called Donations though. May not be as talented as the pros, but they'll make ya laugh.

http://www.soundclick.com/donations

I have heard them ........... think JT was one of the first to make a "donation" lol................. some of those songs will make you laugh (even if you dont' want to)

Highschoolfan78
12-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Mornin 44,

Yes he was one of the first to buy our first 3 dollar cd. Our music has matured since then though lol..We still use alot of comedy just not the same abusive offensive style.

DawgFan91
12-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Glad somebody mentioned Wade Bowen. "Try Not to Listen" is a great album and I just got his live one and it is solid. I had never heard him until the Salsa Margarita Festival in Waco this year and he was excellent.

I judge my favs based on what I have seen live and I have to say that CCR tops the list. They just tear it up and the crowds are always into it. I've seen Roger Creager once and he was awesome. Pat's always good too, but I think I burned out on him from overexposure. RK is great and I am glad to see they get love on here. We're just lucky to have all of these singers/bands that play locally so often.

District303aPastPlayer
12-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Lil Flip :D

Sublime :)

Adidas410s
12-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
Glad somebody mentioned Wade Bowen. "Try Not to Listen" is a great album and I just got his live one and it is solid. I had never heard him until the Salsa Margarita Festival in Waco this year and he was excellent.

I judge my favs based on what I have seen live and I have to say that CCR tops the list. They just tear it up and the crowds are always into it. I've seen Roger Creager once and he was awesome. Pat's always good too, but I think I burned out on him from overexposure. RK is great and I am glad to see they get love on here. We're just lucky to have all of these singers/bands that play locally so often.

CCR is one that I'm just not a big fan of. They put on a very good show but its just the "same sounding songs" that get to me.

Roger Creager...man I havent seen that guy in forever but I bought "Live Across Texas" a few weeks ago and it just brought back memories. That guy has by far one of the two best voices in Texas...along with Pat

Reckless Kelly...its really weird cuz they are the exact opposite of CCR to me. I REALLY get into their music and can listen to their CD's for hours on end but their concerts just dont do it for me. Oh well...I'm not gonna hate on somebody for bustin' their butts on the road all year long...

Where have you seen Pat at lately? Personally, I feel that it is all about the venue. Once you reach the "semi-iconic" status that he has here in Texas...he develops what I consider to be two types of shows. There is 1) the shows that you do to pay the bills and 2) the shows that you do cuz you love every minute of it and the crowds are REALLY into you...not just getting drunk and acting like a bunch of morons. This is not in any way saying that Pat and band don't bust their ass (pardon me) every night but rather to say that what makes a good show is the crowd. I have been blessed to see Pat everywhere from Gruene Hall (more than once), Floores in Helotes, Stubbs in Austin, to Midnight Rodeo in Lubbock, Grahams in Wichita Falls, and even down to small, acoustic shows with his family and closest friends and I can honestly say that I cannot think of one show where he hasnt "been 100% into the show." It's all about the crowd and that varies DRAMATICALLY by where you see him preform at...