PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Vrs Jasper

gtownballer
12-16-2004, 11:34 AM
I've just now been able to post, I've had to read all the threads coming from the Jasper side, not much coming from the Gilmer side, because alot of us post on Smoaky, and we also invite Jasper to post their. My views on this game, is like alot of the games we have already played, mainly Tatum , Dallas Madison, Jefferson, these are teams that had a great deal of speed plus great atheletes, and played very physical football, the Bulldogs have alot in common with these teams, good running backs, and alot of speed on both sides of the ball, so I realy don't think we are gonna see anything we hav'nt already seen, that's not taking anything away from the Bulldogs, because they are a good football team, like the others I mentioned mainly Tatum, both of their backs were sub 4.5 and great ability, not to mention Stephen Hodge the QB, he is by far one of the best mobile QB's to step on a field. What you will see, is one the best offenses, that in all my years of watching Highshool football, and I am 45 yrs old, have ever witnessed, and I witnessed alot of them, Slake Carroll, Lufkin, D'field in 83, and so on, and a defense that will adjust to any thing ran or thrown at them, but they tend to go to sleep when their up, that's really the only fault that I can give them. It is a team that plays with as much heart as it does talent, and by far the most respectful group of kids that I have seen suit up this year. We have all the respect in the world for you football team, and understand what we face, and hope for a geat game, and also pray for no serious injuries to either team. Good Luck to the Bulldogs and to everyone from Jasper!

My prediction is Gilmer by 2 touchdowns!

JasperDog94
12-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by gtownballer
What you will see, is one the best offenses, that in all my years of watching Highshool football, and I am 45 yrs old, have ever witnessed, and I witnessed alot of them, Slake Carroll, Lufkin, D'field in 83, and so on... That's some pretty elite company you've got there.

CheerMom
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Congratulations to both of these teams for making it this far. Good Luck to both teams, and play safe, and injury free ball!!!

Hupernikomen
12-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That's some pretty elite company you've got there.

Not surprising, one of our other Gilmer fans said they were one of the best teams in the country.

This offense of Gilmers would be lucky to score against the likes of SLC or Lufkin. Not knocking their accomplishments, I think they are the best 3A team this year, but they pale in comparison to the best of the big boys. If you had seen Lufkin this year I can't imagine how you could consider this Gilmer team on that level. Sure they have two tremendous athletes on the offensive side of the ball. Lufkin, Katy, SLC, Lee on and on has that and more every year. Gilmer is great and are considerable favorites by most to win this game, but lets not go to far with this. Thanks for the compliments of our team BTW.

Bull's-eye
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
The famous "Red Mustache" has predicted Gilmer to win 63-42. Looks like we are going to have a high scoring game! He has watched both teams and states that Gilmer will not be stopped.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-16-2004, 07:47 PM
He has obviously never met coach farrar.

PPHSfan
12-16-2004, 07:51 PM
I saw Lufkin play this year. I saw SLC play this year. This Gilmer team may not be enough to win the game, but they would hang a couple of TD's on both teams. Lufkin is loaded with speed, size, and athleticism, yet a good TEAM with average speed, and a lot of skill (See SLC) beat them. The "BIG BOYS" as yall like to call them, are just 17-18 year old kids like the ones in 3a. They are just deeper because of enrollment. But don't think for a minute that Manual Johnson and several other starters on both the Jasper and Gilmer teams would be riding the bench at Lufkin or SLC.

Astrosdawg07
12-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
He has obviously never met coach farrar.

Hell of a Defensive cordinator...I tell you what....

gtownballer
12-16-2004, 07:55 PM
I think you should read the post again, I am not saying Gilmer would beat any of these teams, I am comparing their offense with what I have witnessed in the past, which you also will witness what I am stating , and you can be your own judge, again best of luck to both teams!

Astrosdawg07
12-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I think you should read the post again, I am not saying Gilmer would beat any of these teams, I am comparing their offense with what I have witnessed in the past, which you also will witness what I am stating , and you can be your own judge, again best of luck to both teams!

Quote the person you are talking about so we can understand what you are saying.:thinking:

JHS_c/o_06'
12-16-2004, 08:36 PM
You know...i post over at smoaky's....and there are alot Gilmer people over there with heads the size of hot air balloons. They seem to think that this isnt even going to be a game, that they will just roll us over.

Old No. 7
12-16-2004, 08:50 PM
gtownballer, welcome to the board. I'm looking forward to Sat. Good luck Sat. but I'm pulling for the dogs. Try to make the meet and greet, this board has some great posters.

3afan
12-16-2004, 09:07 PM
...D'field in 83....

Gilmer would just be another D'field shutout in '83 !!!!!

3afan
12-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
You know...i post over at smoaky's....and there are alot Gilmer people over there with heads the size of hot air balloons. They seem to think that this isnt even going to be a game, that they will just roll us over.

they just might ..........

JHS_c/o_06'
12-16-2004, 09:33 PM
And we just might roll over them...

Hupernikomen
12-16-2004, 10:20 PM

I have seen them play and they are impressive, but they don't hold a shadow to the Lufkin and Woodlands schools I saw play this year...unlike PPHS I don't think Gilmer could score against the top 10 in 5A. I think the numbers allow the 5A schools to be too massive on the line to give the smaller 3A a chance. Gilmer certainly matches up well with speed in the skill positions as Jasper does with the 5A schools but the size and depth are way too much to overcome.

PPHSfan
12-16-2004, 10:59 PM
You make it sound as though kids in the big city are seven foot tall and can bench press a thousand pounds.

There are probably six kids on the Gilmer team alone that would be starters at SLC or Lufkin.

5a just means deeper. It does not mean bigger, faster, stronger, or better.

Hupernikomen
12-16-2004, 11:35 PM
I would say that 5A means they average 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than the average 3A teams line. Did you see Lufkin's team this year?? They would absolutely destroy Gilmer or Jasper. Those guys were very big, and very fast.

I do agree that Gilmer would have probably 4 starters on that team..I can tell you that I don't think Manual would necessiarly be QB there (Lufkin's QB is very good)..and I know for a fact that no one would take Lane's place at RB.

Just for kicks I went and looked at Lufkin's roster this year and they have 33 players over 6 foot..most of those 6'1" and up..and 22 players over 220...that is considerable bigger than the 3A I have seen this year.

Jason1725
12-17-2004, 08:16 AM
I didn't get to see them play this year but I went a few years ago before Burkeville played for the 1A Title in Tyler to watch Reggie McNeil. Keep in mind this is when Jasper had Big Red and Jorrie, and to me Lufkin was simply huge along both lines. I am sure it's the same way this year. I doubt Jasper or Gilmer could play with them. I will agree some players would and could start for them but that year Lufkin had massive linemen on both sides of the ball.

spiveyrat
12-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
The famous "Red Mustache" has predicted Gilmer to win 63-42. Looks like we are going to have a high scoring game! He has watched both teams and states that Gilmer will not be stopped.

Yeah? They thought Burnet would run away from us again in 03 too.

Red Mustache? Must not be too famous.

Bull's-eye
12-17-2004, 01:59 PM
You never heard of the "Red Mustache"? He's an icon of Texas High school football. His prediction could be wrong, but he's still famous. :D

spiveyrat
12-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I'll bet you could easily find others who have never heard of him.

Jody
12-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You never heard of the "Red Mustache"? He's an icon of Texas High school football. His prediction could be wrong, but he's still famous. :D

Yes I am...... LOL

Bull's-eye
12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I'll bet you could easily find others who have never heard of him. He is known through out all of Texas. He is a walking Texas High School football encyclopedia. He will be at the game this Saturday. Let me know and I will get him to sign some autographs for you. :D