PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Heroes

Roll'em up
12-15-2004, 07:05 PM
The word tradition has been thrown around and discussed on here on more than one occassion. Well, I think this is an example of how tradition begins, but I also think this letter to the editor shows all of us that high school football is a lot more than just a game that takes place on the field. These young men mentioned here are the kind of role models that all parents would love to have for their children. I just want everybody to know what great kids we really have in Decatur.

Eagles: Heroes off the field

By Deroy and Kristi Bennett

Published Thursday, December 16, 2004

The theme of fan support for the Decatur High School football team this year was “We love our Friday night heroes.” The slogan referred to the performance of the athletes on the football field.

The Eagles had an outstanding season and we are well aware of the gridiron performance, but we have been just as impressed with their performance off the field.

When our family left the Tarleton State stadium after the Eagles’ heartbreaking loss to Wylie, our 5-year-old son was sobbing. He wasn’t just crying, but sobbing for his beloved Eagles. He followed them all season, in person and through the Messenger. They were truly his Friday night heroes.

When it came time to plan his sixth birthday party, he asked for a blue and white cake with figures of Chandler Dane, Brian Christian and Devin Godboldt. Thanks to Brian’s aunt, Leisha Young, our son got his blue and white cake adorned with his favorite Eagle players and much more. But the greatest surprise of all came at his party when Chandler and Brian arrived with a framed, autographed picture to go with the autographed football that he requested.

Chandler took the time to put on his football jersey and Brian raced to the party from basketball practice, with barely enough time to catch his breath. They visited with our son and his friends and apologized over and over for letting them down. They said they wished they could have given our son the best birthday gift of all — a state championship.

Little do Chandler and Brian realize that they did give our son the best gift of all. They showed him what real heroes are.

Deroy and Kristi Bennett
Decatur

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-15-2004, 07:09 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: